overall

RATINGS: 969   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Sammer (1065) - Plano, Texas, USA - MAR 12, 2010
Golden pour from bottle. Pepper and spices on the nose. Fairly weak hop taste. Average stuff from the otherwise solid Left Hand Brewing Company.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
talon1117 (1152) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2010
The pour is a clear gold color with a white, average, pillowy head which is somewhat lasting and leaves sporadic lace. The nose is surprisingly malty with cookie, sweet biscuits, light grapefruit, light floral, and some spice. The flavor is still as malty as hoppy; sweet biscuits are prominent, some floral and spice, faint grass, and some grapefruit. The palate is light to medium, soft to lively, and smooth but watery texture. The finish is still sweet with cookie, sweet biscuit, grapefruit, and light spice. A very malty IPA which leads me to think it could be classified differently but nevertheless, a simple beer with a good bitterness and a drinkable nature. Nothing great about this one but still a drinkable beer with no unpleasant notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
blazingspiral (170) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 11, 2010
Obtained 6-pack from Whole Foods Albuquerque, bottled on 02.03.10, tasted on 03.11.10. If this had been marketed as simply an IPA, then I might be disappointed, but the key words "English style" told me what to expect. This is a well-balanced brew with delicious malted barley and wheat blending nicely with Old World hops flavors. Grassy and woodsy tones dominate, and a clean finish encourages me to drink at a steady pace. The 7% alcohol is barely noticed. Fans of assertive ESBs might enjoy this more than fans of American IPAs. Also the label has excellent artwork.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
nick76 (4292) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2010
The aroma is interesting with grassy hops, dry hay, phenols, esters, malt, doughy yeast, and fruit. The appearance is pale gold with a foamy head. The taste is bitter and malty but strange. The palate is average. Overall this is interesting but that’s all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2010
Fresh bottle. Pours a crystal clear medium golden hue, with a small but lasting blanket of bubbly, cream colored froth. Thin, sticky bands of jagged lace cling hard to the glass, coating it well. The nose is straightforward and simple, but clean, showing a base of toasted bread and lightly sweet biscuit. Subdued hops are of the peppery, floral variety, with just a touch of grass. Flavors are masterfully balanced, again showing restraint in both the sweetness levels of the toasty, bready malt, and the bitterness levels of the grassy, peppery wildflower hops. It’s just even keeled, smooth, and crisp throughout. The palate shows substantial weight for a brew of this nature, with moderate carbonation and a lingering, bitter, resinous finish. I’m generally not a big fan of English style IPAs, but this one struck a chord with me. Dangerous at 7%, because it drinks like a session brew. Good stuff.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
milewide (1628) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 8, 2010
Clearly an English IPA with modest hop bitterness, and some hop varieties that I can’t identify. Medium body, and light head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SuperDave (1932) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAR 7, 2010
Orange-amber pour with a nice head. Nice malt and floral hops. A good everyday IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
alexanderj (3350) - Branson, Missouri, USA - MAR 7, 2010
Bottle; poured a rich orange/caramel color with not much head. Aroma of earth, citrus, pine, caramel and bread/sugar/yeast. Really have to dive your nose into it. Flavor was more English in style to me, than what I expected. Hops reminded me of thos produced in the Pacific NW. Fruity and earthy. Solidly hopped. Backbone was pretty mild. Overall I am not sure what to make of this; some very enjoyable moments, but also some that are underwhelming. I guess on the whole it was good to really good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 5, 2010
Bottle from Total Wine. Pours dark golden, almost orange. Small white head. Nose of British hops and mild grains. Hint of baby powder. Tastes more hoppy and sweet. Seems closer to 6% abv. Not bad, but nothing for me to get excited about.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
uilliacc (20) - Texas, USA - MAR 4, 2010
According to the BOD this beer is a month old.... Bottle pour, pint glass-- easy-pour head from the 12OZ bottle just crested the pint glass and subsided to a rocky - white pumice stone head with no overflow. 1/4th inch head stays with it to the bottom. Old gold with a pretty rain of bubbles heading to the top... lots of lace. Bubbles still in steady release an inch from the bottom. A good looking beer. Clean aroma, spring time wind around Two-Rock Ca., Grassy, sea breeze filltered over 3 miles of meadow. Nice, wish it was stronger, more obvious. Tastes kind of like kent goldings smells... maybe willamette... not overpowering. Sometimes I like big hops, sometimes I like good hops. This is good hops. I like this... didn’t expect to, but I do. Best analogy I can give, is that in good cooking while a touch of garlic can make a dish pleasant, three heads of garlic will make you remember the garlic... this beer uses the hops to make good cooking... I think this beer makes my session list-- I hope left-hand can keep it consistent...