overall

RATINGS: 726   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
f.k.a. Left Hand Oak Aged Imperial Stout

GOOD MORNING. YOU’VE WOKEN UP DEAD. YOU’RE IN RUINS. On the brink of catastrophe. But don’t be discouraged. You are ripe for a revolution! Just like the Bolsheviks of the early 1900’s, our barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout doesn’t happen overnight. Patience is required. Wake Up Dead hibernates in our cellars for over 12 months before being blended to woody perfection. Hints of raisins, cherry, licorice and toffee, followed by earthy, herbal hop notes that rise up, joining in your fight for a better life. Don’t be afraid of the dark. All power to the stouts!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - MAY 1, 2004
750 Corked Bottle Poured with a huge mountain of a head and I was thinking carbonation problem but thankfully not. The color is a cloudy auburn brown with a small amount of light coming through. As I recall, their regular Imperial is quite opaque. The aroma is a bit more complex also. Chocolate malts, vanilla, coffee, and slightly vinous. The effect of the oak aging is much less extreme than the Fish Tale Poseidons. With this one it really works wonders picking up oak and vanilla which add a nice touch to an already great Stout. The mouthfeel is a bit more lively than the regular however the body is satisfyingly full yet maybe a bit lighter than the regular version. Flavors, much like the aromas except less vinous. Sweet chocolate malts, light coffee, vanilla, oak and a touch spicy fill in the blank. Overall I found this better than every other barrel aged stout that I’ve tried thus far. Worth the trip and the toll. Thanks Dave!(Whaleman)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 30, 2004
750 mL, corked, caged and fresh: Dark prune. . . opaque. Small black bubbles pop among the creamy light sandy coloured head and release astringent, rasiny alcohol into the air above my glass. I also sense dark, chewy red grapes, anise and sweet coffee in the aroma. Rich creamy palate that sooths and relaxes as it entices. . . luscious, vinous palate. Not as thick, gooey and coating as some Imperial stouts, but delicate and intense no less. Alcoholic plum chocolates. The anise returns in whisps and adds depth and a spicy complexity. The peppery spice mixes with the chocolate truffle essence to offer a profound and elegant mix of flavours and aged treat. Enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pfhyde (56) - Davis, California, USA - APR 25, 2004
UPDATED: APR 27, 2004 A stout with Belgium ale like carbonation?! Yes, indeed. That's the most remarkable attribute of this beer: roof-of-the-mouth fizz that comes with every sip. I must admit, this beer almost exceeds my threshold of tolerance for bitterness--it's an 'imperial' stout, after all--but it somehow managed to keep me satisfied all the way through a pint. I bought another to make sure I didn't misperceive the experience the first time around, and I still felt the same way: very strong, yet consistently palatable, with an oatmealish type aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Darkover (1512) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2007 Very dark brown with a huge thick tan head. Rich aroma of chocolate and roast. Flavor of dark chocolate malt, roast and a little alcohol.

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 21, 2004
Deep garnet with solid streaks of dark brown. The head is thick, fluffy and tan. Strong aroma of lightly roasted coffee, burnt malts, nuts, cocoa powder, licorice, a touch of pine resin and hints of light smoke. The body is fairly full, though not the creamy lusciousness for which I truly yearn. Strong malt flavors that rely heavily upon the sweet chocolate, caramel and lightly roasted coffee. Over time the alcohol becomes more evident without becoming completely overbearing. The hop character is present, but seems to be overshadowed by the thick malts. However, the piney belches remind one that hops are actually used, and to great effect. A really enjoyable beer, however, I want to bitch about the barrel aging again. This time, though, (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I would have liked a bit more woody character as this lacked all of the vanilla/coconut that I've come to expect from such aging. I don't like extended aging, and I find this to fit that category (kudos, I might add). However, at times I wondered if this had even been aged at all. I don't want that to take away from the quality of this beer, but I hope that my last two bottles have a bit more character and depth. If that happens, look out...

BBB63 (5961) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - APR 20, 2004
Rating #1200! Deep brown hue with ruby highlights around edges of my Duval snifter. Nice foamy tan head and very good lacing. The aroma hints of Costa Rican coffees (very acidic), bittersweet mocha, some caramel and smoky malts, floral and lightly piney hops, and woody yeast esters. The initial taste display that bittersweet chocolate found on the nose which is accented by a healthy does of coffee, light smoke, yeast, and plum fruits. The finish displays some hops character along with a "just done right" oaky and vanilla nature of the brew. This one doesn't beat one about the head with the barrel. The body is somewhat lacking but still is okay, lively, smooth and very balanced, only a moderate detection of alcohol. Overall I would say that this is a more "user friendly" big impy, not DL or Expedition, closer to that of a Storm King. Get yourself a bottle if you can. Many thanks go out to Eric for the bottle!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - APR 17, 2004
Walnut husks, bakers chocolate. A banana ester aroma developes as it warms. Black body with a deep tan head. Moderately strong alcohol. Heavy body, oily texture, soft carbonation. The bottom line is: your head a-splode!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (7634) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2004
I always have trouble getting the corks out of these bottles. What I usually do is break the top part off trying to take it out, then use a corkscrew. This beer is definitely worth buying a corkscrew if you don't have one. I am going to start oak aging everything I eat and drink if it turns out this well. The beer is a dark black color with a massively thick dark beige head. The aroma is roased malt, toffee and chocolate. Big rich and sweet body just how I like them. Abundant malt flavor, along with chocolate, coffee and vanilla. The finish has the perfect amount of hops and dark chocolate to balance it out. This is a truly great Imperial Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2004
Pours a dark black, and has a tint of read to it. Decent head that calms down soon after pouring. The aroma is a decent roast coffee with tones from the oak. Flavor is indeed somewhat over taken by the wood complex. The flavor is mostly a subdued roasted malt falvor, thats very earthy and wooden. A little too much bite on it as well, but it comes with a reasonable sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MrRomero (1974) - Nolanville, USA - APR 14, 2004
UPDATED: APR 16, 2004 #600-Pours a very dark brown with a massive tan head. Took a while for it to subside. Big aroma of walnuts. That's all I can smell. Flavor of walnuts with a dash of vanilla. But where is the coffee? Chocolate? Roasted malt? Nonexistent in this beer and very disappointing both for my 600th and for 12 bucks a bottle. Come on Left Hand!