overall

RATINGS: 402   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Leinenkugel’s is pleased to bring back Leinenkugel’s Big Butt Doppelbock into its limited-release portfolio. The name "Big Butt" comes from the image of two goats butting heads that you see on the label. Bock means billy goat in German and Leinenkugel’s Big Butt Doppelbock’s name and label pokes fun at the goat’s springtime mating ritual. The result is a malty, rich, full-bodied bock beer brewed with two-and six-row pale and specialty malts and two specialty hops. Like all Leinie’s beers, Big Butt Doppelbock is handcrafted one batch at a time in our historic Chippewa Falls brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jaysoneslick (24) - Montana, USA - MAR 20, 2004
tasted, smelled, and looked like nummy in my tummy.............................................

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kinz (3507) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAR 13, 2004
Thanks to wawood for the chance to sample this one. Not a big bock beer fan, so I was pleased that this beer could have passed for a sweetish brown ale. Nice chestnut appearance with a great head. Slightly sourish aroma. Sweetish but light body, with a roasted tang. A bit of dark fruit. Not bad really, just not special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 22, 2004
Coffee like aroma, surprisingly light coffee roasted taste, not much aftertaste. I remember this being bolder and more full bodied in the past

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gmku (295) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - FEB 16, 2004
On draught at a big anonymous sports bar locally. The only thing on the domestic beer menu I hadn't tried, so the waitress brought me a draught so cold there was, I swear, ice floating on top. After letting it warm in my hands, the beer started having some fairly decent doppelbock like aromas and then the taste was pretty good too, but not very thick or complex like a "real" doppelbock. Still, for a fake doppel in less than desirable drinking circumstances, I thought this was okay, and it went well with my burger and fries. One thing--why do these big American brewing companies give their beers such dumb names? I was a little embarrassed to say Big Butt to the waitress, and she was a little embarassed to say the name, and my wife looked over at me and only half-jokingly said, "Sure, you're out with me and you have to order something called a Big Butt? Thanks." Sorry, my dears. I won't do it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
M1 (12) - hibbing, Minnesota, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Flavorful, and good aroma. Creamy, with little aftertaste. Better then some other Leinenkugel beers. Drank it right out of the bottle, so didnt get too much of and apperence opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Had a bottle of this at my friends house last night. Not as good as some Leinenkugels (aka the Red), but a good beer nonetheless.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jdog76 (85) - madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 17, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2004 I thought this beer is one of Leinendugels better ones. Nice aroma. Smooth creamy taste. The drawback is that is was a bit to watery

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 10, 2004
The one good thing that I can say about this beer is that it is drinkable, malty-ish in the nose and taste. Darker colour with very thin brown head that leaves good lacing on the glass. As for the taste there is some kind of stale maltness going on, i dunno.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
antisnobJP (275) - St. Michael, Minnesota, USA - JAN 8, 2004
Reddish-copper color. Has a thin, white-oh wait a second-it's gone. Sweet malty aroma. Heavy sweet malty flavor not matching its thin mouthfeel. I do like many sweet beers, but this one isn't great. No real standout flavors, needs some hop character. The Schell Doppelbock I had was much better. Aroma gets worse as it sits- a hint of an overdue diaper change in the background. An alright beer, and priced the same as all other Leinie's. But I won't buy again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 15, 2003
Ruby colored body with a fast fading tan head. Aroma had hints of a syrupy sweetness. Flavor was acceptable but not noteworthy. Not what one would expect of a doppelbock.