overall

RATINGS: 823   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
The Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout was brewed at Leinenkugelís tiny 10th street brewery in Milwaukee. This brew boasts a selection of 11 malts and grains balanced by three different and distinct hops. Dark and complex, with chocolate tones and notes of dark fruits, it is daring yet delicious. Travels well. Ages well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nickls (1849) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUN 13, 2012
Tap. I had low expectations going into this brew, and actually found it to be quite OK. Jet black with a dark frothy tan head. Chocolate and slight roast in the aroma, and with some degree of sweetness. Flavor has burnt brown sugar, roast and semi-sweet chocolate. Medium to thicker body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
7ris7an (80) - Olathe, Kansas, USA - JUN 22, 2012
tulip. dark body with dark tan long lasting creamy head. It smells very rusty up front, bitter chocolate, some coffee, but mostly like a rusted metal. It leans more over the bitter than the sweet but there is some notes of light sweetness up front and finishes withe a heavier bitter chocolate taste. Moderate body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2799) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 13, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2013 12 oz. bottle from Binnyís. I didnít list this in my beer cellar somehow, but guessing from the neck code, itís from early 2011. And I feel like demolishing a big beer tonight. Sweet alcoholic nose from under the cap. A little vapor as I pour it, and find it to be opaque black, with a fizzy, short-lived soda pop head. Nose from the glass has still more sweetness, a touch of oatmeal, and no roastiness. Taste is likewise sweet, but with some coffee malt. Some of that roasty black patent malt appears here now. Properly sticky malts around my lips. It is nice. I may have pooped it too young; perhaps letting it sit longer would tone down the carbonation. But then again, this is an earlier style bottle with a screwtop, so it may be older than I thought, and besides, the screwtop might have let it oxydize. And hey dere, itís my 200th Wisconsin beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
nathan30533 (601) - Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - NOV 24, 2012
Good smokey brew. Not really my style. Taste of chocolate and oats and smoke. Good dark thick color and lasting head. Good beer not great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
wheresyourball (517) - El Cajon, California, USA - DEC 5, 2012
12 ounce bottle picked up in Atlanta. Pours dark black with a 1/2 inch beige head. Smell is chocolate, roasted malt, soy. Taste is coffee, caramel, chocolate, smoke, and also an odd oxidized flavor. Smooth mouthfeel and full body. Solid and somewhat unique, but not my style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
sthlm (1231) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 30, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2010 [Bottle, huge thanks to the always generous Skyview] Pours black with a dark tan head. Aroma is sweet with fruit, malt, light smoke, molasses and alcohol. Taste is light coffee and roasted malt with raisin, molasses and brown sugar also definitely in there. The finish is roasted malt. Good thick mouthfeel. Despite there being quite a bit in the aroma, I just didnít really care for it--a little too sweet for me. This beer didnít completely work for me, although the taste was pretty nice, but it is clearly a very well crafted beer.

Previous Rating: 6/5/8/5/16=4.0 Re-rate: Still has good mouthfeel, but otherwise it falls flat. Some anise, alcohol, deeply roasted malt, slight oxidation. Just not a lot going on. Disappointing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 23, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2008 Unique combination of meaty roasty notes with coffee and chocalate notes. Thinner and less carbonation than many stouts. Not a big leap away from that Frederick M. choclate ale. Not too creamy. Ecclectic but balanced. None of the vinous aspect I associate with great stout but there is real craft here. Addendum: grew tiresome on just second try--unpleasantly medicinal and oily and cloying in the mouth and unwelcome sourness in the long aftertaste. Malt overwhelms the hops. Faint fruit notes seem particularly artificial. 2nd Addendum!: I want to share an email I got from the brewer-- the first ratebeer email Iíve gotten, because I do not think the brewer would object and I do greatly commend and appreciate he cares enough to contact me: Greetings Chimpscampee, I brewed the Big Eddy Russian Imperial stout at our little brewery in Milwaukee. I take offense to you thinking there was artifical flavors in this brew. Believe me, nothing artificial was in this brew. This was by far the most costly beer we ever made. The flavors all developed from the malts and yeast used. This beer has 400 calories per 12 ounces. How is it you think it is thin? Maybe you got a bad bottle. If you are in Milwaukee visit us at 1515 North 10th street. You can sample the big eddy in our bar and see if it is the same. Greg W..... I replied: Thank you for the offer and the sincere note of feedback, and please do produce more such ambitious brews-- I will keep an eye out for them. I do not mean to claim any artifical ingredient-- only that the natural ingredients combine so as to be similar to common, similar artificial tastes Iíve experienced. I actually am not a health nut, and enjoy and even prefer many artifical tastes and products. I would rate this much higher if my palate was able to tolerate certain kinds of sweetness better. My description as thin is made in context of other high end stouts and the obvious caloric nature of this brew. The fullness of a brew to me is about mouthfeel as much as calories. For example, I do not object to an oily, inky, lower carbonation, less creamy brew per se but such brews feel thinner to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - FEB 7, 2008
UPDATED: APR 14, 2008 12oz bottle: Slightly disappointed with this one. Pours to a Deep black body. Was told I needed to try this, but not too impressed. Just an "ok" imperial stout for me. I pulled a fruity after taste from this one. Canít really describe it, almost a burnt almond at first then a smokey plum aftertaste. Interesting beer not what I expected. I will re-rate this beer in hopes of a better experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jvmiller (558) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 11, 2008
I can honestly say this was one imperial stout I didnít like. It was too fruity, almost sour tasting. I actually didnít want to finish it. All I can remember is tartness. Hopefully it was a bad bottle, but I doubt it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SpringsLicker (3133) - Tennessee, USA - MAY 23, 2009
Pours black with a thin ring of tan for a head. Coffee aroma that adds molasses as it warms. The flavor pretty much follows the aroma. A bit one-dimensional.