overall

RATINGS: 813   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
The Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout was brewed at Leinenkugelís tiny 10th street brewery in Milwaukee. This brew boasts a selection of 11 malts and grains balanced by three different and distinct hops. Dark and complex, with chocolate tones and notes of dark fruits, it is daring yet delicious. Travels well. Ages well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
sthlm (1230) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 30, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2010 [Bottle, huge thanks to the always generous Skyview] Pours black with a dark tan head. Aroma is sweet with fruit, malt, light smoke, molasses and alcohol. Taste is light coffee and roasted malt with raisin, molasses and brown sugar also definitely in there. The finish is roasted malt. Good thick mouthfeel. Despite there being quite a bit in the aroma, I just didnít really care for it--a little too sweet for me. This beer didnít completely work for me, although the taste was pretty nice, but it is clearly a very well crafted beer.

Previous Rating: 6/5/8/5/16=4.0 Re-rate: Still has good mouthfeel, but otherwise it falls flat. Some anise, alcohol, deeply roasted malt, slight oxidation. Just not a lot going on. Disappointing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 23, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2008 Unique combination of meaty roasty notes with coffee and chocalate notes. Thinner and less carbonation than many stouts. Not a big leap away from that Frederick M. choclate ale. Not too creamy. Ecclectic but balanced. None of the vinous aspect I associate with great stout but there is real craft here. Addendum: grew tiresome on just second try--unpleasantly medicinal and oily and cloying in the mouth and unwelcome sourness in the long aftertaste. Malt overwhelms the hops. Faint fruit notes seem particularly artificial. 2nd Addendum!: I want to share an email I got from the brewer-- the first ratebeer email Iíve gotten, because I do not think the brewer would object and I do greatly commend and appreciate he cares enough to contact me: Greetings Chimpscampee, I brewed the Big Eddy Russian Imperial stout at our little brewery in Milwaukee. I take offense to you thinking there was artifical flavors in this brew. Believe me, nothing artificial was in this brew. This was by far the most costly beer we ever made. The flavors all developed from the malts and yeast used. This beer has 400 calories per 12 ounces. How is it you think it is thin? Maybe you got a bad bottle. If you are in Milwaukee visit us at 1515 North 10th street. You can sample the big eddy in our bar and see if it is the same. Greg W..... I replied: Thank you for the offer and the sincere note of feedback, and please do produce more such ambitious brews-- I will keep an eye out for them. I do not mean to claim any artifical ingredient-- only that the natural ingredients combine so as to be similar to common, similar artificial tastes Iíve experienced. I actually am not a health nut, and enjoy and even prefer many artifical tastes and products. I would rate this much higher if my palate was able to tolerate certain kinds of sweetness better. My description as thin is made in context of other high end stouts and the obvious caloric nature of this brew. The fullness of a brew to me is about mouthfeel as much as calories. For example, I do not object to an oily, inky, lower carbonation, less creamy brew per se but such brews feel thinner to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - FEB 7, 2008
UPDATED: APR 14, 2008 12oz bottle: Slightly disappointed with this one. Pours to a Deep black body. Was told I needed to try this, but not too impressed. Just an "ok" imperial stout for me. I pulled a fruity after taste from this one. Canít really describe it, almost a burnt almond at first then a smokey plum aftertaste. Interesting beer not what I expected. I will re-rate this beer in hopes of a better experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jvmiller (558) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 11, 2008
I can honestly say this was one imperial stout I didnít like. It was too fruity, almost sour tasting. I actually didnít want to finish it. All I can remember is tartness. Hopefully it was a bad bottle, but I doubt it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SpringsLicker (3126) - Tennessee, USA - MAY 23, 2009
Pours black with a thin ring of tan for a head. Coffee aroma that adds molasses as it warms. The flavor pretty much follows the aroma. A bit one-dimensional.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Frank (2814) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 8, 2010
This pours black in color w/ a small head. The nose is probably the best part, rich coffee malt and some apple-ish fruit notes along w/ some spice. Flavor is nice as well but there is a pit of mouth-puckering astringency that throws things off a bit. The carbonation is nice and creamy but it feels just a bit thin to be perfect. There is also a sort of evaporative alcoholic quality and a bit of burn, which is something I rarely notice after more than a half dozen years of drinking big beers. As it warms, chocolate richness increases but I also notice a slight cardboard note develop. If I were completely honest, Iíd have to admit that I expected this to be bad but it is really a rather nice imperial stout.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Wolfenkopf (171) - Villa Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 13, 2010
I had this from tap in a snifter. The aroma is laced in caramel and chocolate, though it is not overly coherent. The head is a deep tan and dissapates quickly, though it does not fully retreat from the glass. The taste is obviously that of a Russian Imperial-styled stout with an extra content of sugar, though it is tainted in a bitterness that is not derivative of hops. It is very good, but not stunning. The bitterness continues right through to the finish and lingers well into the aftertaste, taking away from an otherwise very enjoyable brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nate (3708) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 15, 2011
From bottle, courtesy of dpjuart. Nice aroma. Alcohol, molasses, brown sugar, a bit winey, raisin. Dark brown-black, clear, with thin tan head. Medium-heavy watery body with medium carbonation. Sweet malt and molasses with coffee, smoke, and chocolate. Light tangy finish with sweet alcoholic notes and sweet after. A hint of soy sauce.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
johnnnniee (2278) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 29, 2011
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2012 03-18-2008
Pours a solid black with a good sized tan head that gets sticky on the glass as I get my drink on. Aroma is vinous with some dried fruit. Taste is chocolaty and fruity up front with some alcohol burn and bitterness in the finish. Creamy smooth mouthfeel with just enough carbonation. Great impy stout, I wish I had more than one Iíd like to see this one age. Great job Lienenkugel!

12/07/2012
Pours a solid black color with a decent sized tan head that shows great retention and moderate lace. The aroma is a bit roasty and fruity with a strange almost plastic phenol in there that detracts from everything else. Light earthy hop and a hint of ethanol round out the nose. The flavor is roasty and chocolate with a fair amount of dark fruit along with some brown sugar and caramel. Thick body with a rich creamy mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. This beer finally made it to my state, and since I enjoyed it so much the first time, I jumped at the first four pack I found. Howís that Don Henley song go? "Donít look back, you can never look back" Either this beer has really changed, or my palette has. This is a decent stout, but really nothing special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (11078) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - FEB 6, 2011
shared by hbmason-12oz bottle-pours a thin light brown head that dissipates with black color. Aroma is dark malt-roasty/chocolate/banana. Taste is dark malt-smoky/roasty/chocolate, 2nd earthy hops.