overall

RATINGS: 654   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06   EST. CALORIES: 148   ABV: 4.94%
Creamy Dark is aged slowly for a deep, dark color; velvety flavor; and a smooth finish.

Frank (3270) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 6, 2002
UPDATED: APR 29, 2003 An excellent dunkel. One of my favorites and it's inexpensive (not cheap). The head is thick and tan. It leaves a little lace all the way to the bottom of the glass despite the fact that the head fades a bit fast. Really tasty with just a hint of coffee contrasted by a pleasant bitterness from the hops. Even after all the hundreds of beers that I've tried, I still find myself coming back to simple pleasure of Leiny's Creamy Dark.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Velveeta99 (13) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 13, 2002
A quality find. The Leinie’s Dark is a real winner if you’re into dunkels like I am. Hearty and the best thing I’ve had since Calumet.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - OCT 11, 2002
Hey! It works for me! Hearty enough to convince me that its got body, bitter enough to convince me the brewer put some hops in it, and most of all its got sufficient flavor and kick to satisfy me that I got my money’s worth. Leinenkugels knows what they’re doing with this and their octoberfest, which is a completely different story and style, but the point is, Leinenkugels seems to be able to produce quality at a good price.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - OCT 3, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2003 Not bad for a Miller product. It's the best deal on tap at a local BW3 on Sunday nights. Dark with a bit of bite. Chocolate, coffee, and malted- but not sweet. Not very creamy though. A little wattery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
badgerben (4576) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 30, 2002
It’s a good dark brew. It has some kick to it, but I’d prefer Guinness or Murphy’s. Still, not too shabby.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - SEP 29, 2002
Better than anticipated but, must admit, I went in with very little hope. Nice and dark with quite a thick head. Roasted aroma with a tad of coffee and chocolate. I concur with the majority of the posting that this is way too watery for its appearance. Sort of like watching a muscle bound oaf failing to bench press 100 pounds ... the flavor just doesn’t meet the promise. Still, I have to admit, that this was a decent brew. A dark beer that I could drink more than 2 per drinking session.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2002
OK. A bit watery, a bit light on flavor. A good alternative to Beck’s Dark or something else of that caliber.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
drywallman (338) - Lake in the Hills, Illinois, USA - SEP 16, 2002
Very good aroma, smooth malt, and well balanced hops. Easy to drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jaymobrown (1723) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2002
Not a very thick or complex stout but decent enough. A slightly bitter taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4420) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - AUG 14, 2002
On tap at the Miller (!!) Time Pub in Milwaukee. Definitely above average for the brewer; I used to love these American darks/dunkels, whatever the hell they are. Not any more. Body usually seems a bit weak, and they usually don’t seem to know whether to be assertively sweet, grainy, or hoppy. Oh well, this is reasonably good, with a nice color and head, good semi-sweet caramel flavors and a decent amount of hops in the finish. The only beer worth drinking at this crappy pub in the Hilton Hotel.