overall
Brewed by Les Bières de la Nouvelle-France
Style: Golden Ale/Blond Ale
Saint-Alexis-des-Monts, Canada

RATINGS: 76   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.47   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
This is gluten-free beer made with rice and buckwheat. This beer been developped to accomodated the beer drinkers that are allergic to gluten.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Oakes (12398) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 20, 2003
Ultra pale. I mean this makes Coors Light look like Pilsner Urquell. Scant aroma. Thin body. Cidery palate. I can understand using certain grains to avoid gluten, but do hops really have so much gluten that they, too, need to be avoided? If I ever become allergic to gluten, I'll start drinking gin again, because rating this strictly on beer terms, it's awful.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Sammy (8566) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 30, 2005
It had a decent pour, not much to look at. Really nothing to taste, but I didn’t spit it out. Thanks to the broken 6-pak section of the LCBO I only had to try the one bottle. Very bland, powdery, watery mouthfeel. Aggressive carbonation.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
JoeMcPhee (8411) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - APR 14, 2005
The palest coloured beer I’ve ever seen. Fizzy, fast dissipating white head. Aroma is sweet, rice and tapioca that really reminds me of some sake I’ve had. A touch of spice which I assume to be the buckwheat. Flavour is semi-sweet, with custard and tapioca flavours. A touch of acidity and spice in the finish. This is completely unlike any beer I’ve ever had and I can see why people would be put off by this, but I actually don’t mind it. It helps if you don’t expect it to taste like a pale lager. There aren’t really any off-flavours, just flavours that you don’t usually encounter in a beer. I think it would be better if it were hopped up with some Saaz or other noble-type hops.

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
MartinT (7797) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 11, 2003
Good Lord!...This is the palest beer I have ever seen!...I think I could watch television through it...Weird plant aroma, reminiscent of dry wild rice...The body of a soda with a bit of bitterness in the back...I've compared beers to sodas before but this is ridiculous...Nefarious red apple skins and fictional cereal...This is 99% water, I'm afraid...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
jercraigs (7790) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2003
Practically transparent, white winey aroma, and a bit of a white wine and alcohol flavour as well. It is made with rice and buckwheat and you can tell.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
DuffMan (6670) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - APR 12, 2007
On the one hand, thank goodness that people with celiac disease can now sit down with a cold one in front of the hockey game. On the other hand, too bad they are limited to this singular choice. It is exceedingly pale, fizzy, and has very little character to comment on. It comes across as a very low-alcohol style, in the sense that it has a vaguely apple-fruitiness to it, and it is very watery. A culinary innovation that delivers mixed results I guess. I’m betting that for joe-average beer drinker who is gluten-intolerent, this will fit the bill just fine. But for a beer "conniseur" who is gluten-intolerent, this will be a teeth-grinding compromise.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Radek Kliber (6401) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUN 17, 2004
Slight tart apple aroma some light sweet water and alcohol. Apple juice colour, minimal head. Tart apple flavour, touch of sugar and dry alcohol .Dry finish.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Rastacouere (6126) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 22, 2003
Hmm, this was not good. I guess it's an okay move for people allergic to gluten, but it's just not a tasting beer and doesn't really deserve to be rated here since it obviously will get blasted.

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
HogTownHarry (6064) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - NOV 5, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2007 Bottle (341ml). Via trade with mouton_noire - thanks, Marie-C!. Let’s get this puppy done and buried asap. Very pale yellow, small white head, looks like apple juice. What aroma there is is sour; sour grain, sour spicy yeast - sort of fruity, bleagh. Taste - oh, gawd, like cheap apple juice mixed with cheap grape juice and a little yeast - sweet, harsh, oh where’s the friggin’ sink? Watery fizzy harsh body, weird chemicals and grapeskins aftertaste ... you’ve been warned.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
blankboy (6030) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 7, 2007
Bottle courtesy of HogTownHarry. Pours a ridiculously pale yellow, almost white, with a small diminishing white head -- man, this looks like crap. Aroma of somewhat stinky rice, grain and some sourness. Flavour starts harsh, not a good start, and it tastes of watery rice, grain and fruit and has a weird aftertaste. Light bodied. I guess if you have to drink a gluten-free beer it’s drinkable but thank goodness I don’t have to.