overall
Brewed by Liefmans (Duvel-Moortgat)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Oudenaarde, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1206   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Ale brewed with cherries with natural flavor added. Contains barley malt. Wrap label: "Liefmans Cuvée - Brut is brewed only once a year, in July. After brewing freshly harvested and carefully selected cherries are blended in and the beer is cellared at the brewery. After a slow maturation of 18 months to 3 years different vintages are carefully tasted and blended to create the final result: a complex deep-red ale with refreshing balanced tart-sweet taste, strong cherry notes and sparkling carbonation."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Firemoose15 (567) - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 9, 2006
Bottle. Cork read 12/01 found at local bottle shop where I’ve found other gems. I was very happy with this selection as I’ve been pushing myself to try this style. Aroma nice sour cherry. Poured a dark rubyish with a huge pink head. I should mention I wasn’t paying attention when I was uncorking it and it let loose a shot that could’ve easily taken an eye out. Flavor was just delightful a nice tart sweet and sour cherry had a nice candied draw to it. Palate was nice and creamily active. Overall I was quite happy with this selection so much I may go get some more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Hansen (7668) - Assentoft, DENMARK - JUL 2, 2006
A bit dissapointed. I don’t think the cherry is ok in it. Well, the appearance is good, dark ruby colour, and big pink head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HenrikSoegaard (11755) - Randers, DENMARK - JUL 1, 2006
Bottle 37.5. Creamy pink good mostly lasting head. Red colour. Powerfull aroma, but not that much dominated by kriek.OK flavor, average finish. Creamy palate. I would have expected a little more of this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
eaglefan538 (2958) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 9, 2006
Vintage 2005 on cork. Well, what can I say? I was expecting more of a flemish spin on this one (some vinegar and more sour-tart flavors underneath), but this one came across VERY closely to the New Glarus Belgian Red, a straight up nice fruit beer. Poured a beautiful ruby red with a nice thin pink-purple head on top. Lacing was decent. The aroma was all cherries, very nice, maybe some vanilla. The flavor was clearly cherries and some vanilla, but with some tartness to balance it out. Man, so much like NG’s Belgian Red, but maybe a tad more balanced by some tart (but not much, as this one is more sweet than tart). As this warms, a barley type finish actually comes out, pretty nice. I was expecting wheat, but this is a nice thing nonetheless... barley in the aftertaste. This is smooth, nice mouthfeel, very smooth, decent carbonation. Very well done. Category should be straight up fruit beer, imo.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
piscator34 (2152) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - MAY 25, 2006
2005 vintage. Dark redish brown in colour with mild carbonation. Sweet cherry aroma, with hints of eucalyptus and a bit of wood. More cherry on the palate, with notes of vanilla and a bit of lactic acid. It’s got a long and sweet finish that’s not overly cloying. An inoffensive little beer, but could have lots more sour and funk character. Too much sugar!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chicagobears (436) - Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA - APR 26, 2006
Beautiful dark rasberry with huge cherry head. Sour cherry sherbert in the nose. A slightly sour cherry is my first impression, then a salty funkiness creeps in. Delicious. This is quickly becoming my favorite style of beer. It seems the added Kriek was more pronounced in the front, then the Goudenband amd funkness seemed more apparent midway through. The only other beer I have tried with kriek was Belle-Vue, and this blows that away.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Beerdedone (2981) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 24, 2006
UPDATED: APR 26, 2006 Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. pours dark with a pink head. Aroma of sour cherries. Flavor is way to sour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
zippo01 (17) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 21, 2006
Pours a dark red color, with little or no head. Rich cherry flavor with a little bitter taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 17, 2006
Aroma was all about the cherries. Quite delicious. Reddish, brown color with a very bubbly pinkish head. The cherries were very well represented in the flavor. Not as much tartness or sour as I would have expected. A little on the sweet side, but overall, quite tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2006
Bottle. Big sour cherry aroma with spring lift. Luft. Flat, red tinged with brown. Pine pink layer of bubbles. Sweet, but rather nice. Sharp top tang. This gives me an excitement similar to what my once completely untutored tongue experienced in its first encounter with Lindeman’s, which is now a distant memory when I drink lindemans’, its flavor comes too easily, and this provides the right amount of extra zap. Still would prefer a frmaboise... this has just a hint of the acidic bacteriality I’m now tasting in real lambics and sour ales...this may be a good way to enter into that realm without a guide or earlier experience with those flavors... I can see this as the second or third step in a progression toward authentic lambics for one of the many who start with Lindeman’s, and it’s the step I’m on right now, but I already feel ready to get off, I can use less sugar than this.