overall
Brewed by Liefmans (Moortgat)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Oudenaarde, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1272   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Infinitely complex in aroma and flavor with notes of maltiness and tartness throughout. An unsurpassed old brown with the richness and complexity of a vintage wine.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
crazyvin (1906) - New York, USA - OCT 5, 2004
a new style for me. poured a murky brown color with a thin sligtly off white head which had minimal retention at best. Aroma was malty and tart as was the flavor/ Flavor had some cranberry and lemon like qualities. Not a heavy beer at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2004
Copper with no appreciable head. This style is an acquired taste that I haven’t as yet acquired but I continue to try. Very tart aroma and flavor. Just not a very enjoyable drink for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 19, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2004 I suppose there is an art to appreciating flemish sours. Though they do tend to rank rather highly.. this one is certainly no exception. Dark Brown cola color with a thin light brown head. not so heavy on the sour or the and fruity (although there are definitely some cherries). Moderately carbonated and holds a rather woodsy and chalky mouthfeel. A good followup to the quelque chose... SMOOTH!

Gorbalev (2908) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2006 Re-rate. Again, revisiting a beer I tried very early on in my beer tasting experience. Pours a lovely golden brown with a small tan head - looks nice. Strong rich aroma or cherry, sweet malt, a hint of sourness, earthy, and yeasty - wonderfully complex aroma. Taste follows suit, but leans more on the sour side with a good deal of tartness at first. Finishes with alcohol and bitterness. Wow, I really really enjoy this, sipping on it on a cold April afternoon while watching the Jays game. Complex, sour, yet earthy, and I love the almost Bock like sweetness thrown in too. The tart cherry hints are like the finishes touches of a dessert. I may have to buy more. And $5 a bottle is not expensive; go tot Buffalo to Premiere and then tell me what is expensive. original 7/4/6/3/13 Bottle, smokeless Joe’s. My second Flemish ale, didn’t enjoy it near as much as my first. Dark Cherry Red colour, little head. Strong alcohol and fruit (cherry) in aroma, lots more in taste. Certainly tartness there, but not overwhelming - well balanced. A beer that intensifies as it warms, but I was a little let down by the lack of complexity here - outside the strong cherry and alcohol, I didn’t find too much else. Tastes much stronger than 8%. I enjoyed it, but just a little let down.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
icarus (57) - The Colony, Texas, USA - SEP 14, 2004
Sweet malt and winy tastes, this is not a pucker bomb I was expecting from the name Flemish sour ale but decent ale none the less.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DCopperfields (145) - Alabama, USA - SEP 9, 2004
Not a beer that produces much head when poured, although I do spy a few "chunks" floating about. Its a murky, dark iced tea color. Lots of complex fruityness and mild alcohol in the nose. The flavor is sour off the bat, but it is a bit cold right now. Poured from a bottle. I appreciate this beer, but I can’t say I like it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Piposieske (7) - Maastricht, NETHERLANDS - SEP 9, 2004 does not count
Tastes more like a good wine than a beer. Full bodied and afruity, well balanced sweet/sour taste. A lot less sour than other winelike beers like ’Duchesse de Bourgogne’ or ’Rodenbach Grand Cru’. A personal favorite!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 8, 2004
Sampled in a beer tasting at Plan B, Copenhagen. Wonderful nut brown colour, great head. Aroma with honey and "øllebrød". Fine fruity (blueberries) flavour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Belly Full O Beer (57) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - AUG 31, 2004
This was darker in colour than I expected and the head had a rich colour all its own, not the basic everyday white bubbles. Taste was not as complex as I expected, but it was drank out of the wrong type of glass so that could be the reason. Nice for a treat, but more expensive than most imports availible.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 28, 2004
Brown color with a ruby shine, thin light brown head. The aroma is sour and fruity (cherries). Very complex flavor of cherries and moldy yeast riding along with sourness. Light body, medium carbonation, vinous texture, woody and chalky mouthfeel. Very good, very complex, feels like a very good port wine.