overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Lindemans
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
St Pieters Leeuw-Vlezenbeek, Belgium

RATINGS: 933   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39   EST. CALORIES: 105   ABV: 3.5%
Lindemans Cassis is a lambic made from local barley, unmalted wheat, and wild yeast. After spontaneous fermentation the lambic is aged in oak. Black currants are added creating a secondary fermentation and yielding an ale of exceptional flavor and complexity.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - FEB 22, 2002
UPDATED: APR 22, 2005 Feb 2002: Bottled, 1999 bottle. Beautiful opaque, dark red body with a thicker head than other Lindemans; wonderful sugary sweet dark fruit aroma. Flavor is beautifully balanced between acid sourness and currant sweetness; just enough carbonation and a rather thick body. I know Iím probably in the minority, but I liked this more than the Cassis or Framboise; but then again I love dried fruits. 8/5/9/4/17 4.3

April 2005: Dark burgundy with a pinch of head...really, really sweet vinous nose, currants and grapes...massively sugary front, decent berry character, some nice sour zing later, syrupy...but no real lambic character. Too sweet to really enjoy, though the fruit quality isnít bad.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - JAN 21, 2002
Far worse than Lindemans Framboise.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 3, 2002
tasted like Ribena with a bit of sourness (not much sourness), it was also too sweet and didnít have any body to match the flavour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 24, 2001
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2003 I learned that I don't like currants. Seems to lose the aroma too fast in a small wine glass. Use a champagne glass.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - NOV 24, 2001
My first cassis lambic, I generally love Lindemansí lambics but this was a bit too sweet for me, while I did enjoy it somewhat, I have to have other cassis lambics to determine if I would have it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - NOV 21, 2001
Going against the tide here again...I loved this. Flavored with currant berries but dominated by peach, this was tart and very tasty. Opaque, blood red and extremely drinkable, especially when considering how sickly sweet many lambics can be. Not this...it never becomes sickening and its flavor doesnít tire.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - OCT 8, 2001
Very tart an sour, and not as sweet as Lindemans Framboise. Great currant taste and aroma. Lambic character comes out better than Framboise as well. Color is awesome dark red.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lizziesage (180) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 21, 2001
A very, very tart lambic that heads toward sour. Lindemans Cassis provided my first experience with the style so I have a little trouble rating it appropriately. It was interesting and I should like to sample other varieties.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 28, 2001
Decent. Tart and sweet all at once, a bit too sweet at first. The currant flavor and tartness squelch the sweetness (a bit) once the brew warms. Nice yeasty twang. A good dessert brew, even from a non-lambic drinker.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
K-V-F-L (292) - LaVista, Nebraska, USA - AUG 18, 2001
All right, but I couldnít just sit and drink this as I can with the other Lindemanís lambics. Too sour; perhaps a mixture with (ye gods) 7-Up would improve the texture and balance the sourness. Tastes like German jelly candies, which I enjoyed as a kid.