overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Lindemans
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
St Pieters Leeuw-Vlezenbeek, Belgium

RATINGS: 1398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A golden hue sets off the wonderful almost champagne like taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - JUL 11, 2006
Hazy gold with a large, dense, white head. Musty barn funk yeast, acidic citrus sourness, and vinegared pine trees. Medium body, well carbonated. Very nice gueuze.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thornecb (4403) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 10, 2006
Pours bright gold into a tumbler. Head quickly dissipates but remains solid on the surface. Sour citrus and earth notes. Upfront sour candy with lasting lemon/lime.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jhwarfield (125) - USA - JUL 2, 2006
Bottle. Pours like apple cider with champaign like head that disipates quickly. I will try others of this style, but for me it was something strange between a beer and a champaign that was not really the best of either. I didn’t care for the sour finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 2, 2006
Hazy golden color with a thin white head. Sweet but sour fruit aroma. Flavor of sour, and some light funk.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
notalush (4859) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 2, 2006
So I’m at the HW Open House, and I’m talking to this old man as we are both sipping on some run-of-the-mill belgian ale someone dumped in our glasses, and he says something along the lines of it reminding him of a lambic. Then he goes off on some kind of tangent (as folks of that age often do) and then mentions that he has a lambic in his trunk. "Which one?" I inquired. "Never ask someone my age the names of things," he replies. And with that, the old man vanishes, proptly returning, just as mysteriously as he left, with a bottle of this, from 1994! Pretty much all the ratebeer nerds drooled over this (yes...me, too). But as soon as the beer was gone, the old man was, too; the magic man that brought the cuvee rene. We searched high and low for him (well, about as well as people who have been drinking for a few hours could search), but he never returned. We came to the logical conclusion that he was some sort of beer wizard or spectre or some form of magical creature from a parallel universe, that had to go back to his homeworld to do battle with Demogorgon or some other such evil demon - but that beer sure was good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TPaliga (212) - Munster, Indiana, USA - JUN 29, 2006
Pours golden brown with offwhite head. Aroma is "horse blanket" earthy and sweet. Flavor is fruit and earth slightly mineral and apples. Bitter and dry sour finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bager (2121) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - JUN 29, 2006
Bottle. Dark golden in colour with a large white head. Nice bitter- and dryness. Sour with notes of apples and citrus fruit. Slightly moldy and earthy.

thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUN 23, 2006
This was a good experience for me, as this was my first gueze. The Cuvee Rene pours a dark orangish color with a very minimal head and plenty of carbonation. The aroma was musty first, and sour second--which had me worried. However, this one tastes just fine. The flavors are sour, grassy, and slightly citrus. I really enjoyed this, and it finishes smooth and easy. "

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
gferd (99) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 21, 2006
My first Gueze, so I don’t know if I like Guezes, I have to try more. Pours a cloudy honey color w/ almost no head. Rotten smell with notes of bitter fruit and old moist basment. Very sour flavor. Notes of sour apple, bitter sweet character. Very upfront acidic lemony flavor which tingles the palate. Very acidic and good gassyness

webjedi (250) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - JUN 20, 2006
The fine champagne of lambics. Broke this bottle with my wife for a movie night. Had a 1994 vintage in 2006, wow what a beer. Had a signifigant amount of crud on the bottom of the bottle but the rest was just spectacular. I just wished I coudl dig up a few of these to cellar. Take all the best comments here and add them to my ramblings. Tends towards the citrus, but is extremely dry and pleasant. If you can get a good vintage, by all means do so. Definitely observe the glassware recommendations, it’s worth it and helps with the feel of the beer. Very effervescent and refreshing.