Brewed by Lion Brewery (Sri Lanka)
Style: Foreign Stout
Biyagama, Sri Lanka

RATINGS: 1859   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
The 8.0 per cent abv, bottle conditioned beer is brewed from British, Czech and Danish malts with Styrian hops and an English yeast strain. All the ingredients are transported along precarious roads to the brewery located 3,500 feet above sea level.

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 22, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2010 I owe Gusler big for sending me this brew. Nice smooth body, although its kind of light for a stout. Rich espresso/mocha flavors are really highlighted by a bottle-conditioned twang. Is there some vanilla in there? Remarkably drinkable for a stout with such a high alcohol content at 8.0%. Everytime I drink it, I’m impressed all over again. I’m going to say it: this is the best stout I’ve ever had. ReRate: the more I sample this beer, the better it is. Thankfully it’s available all the time at Total Wines now, so it’s a permanent fixture in my fridge. This is the best stout in the world, and a Top 5 beer on my list.

SturmWulf (65) - USA - FEB 14, 2008
A vigorous aroma of chocolate, vanilla, cherry, coffee and roasted malt. Poured pitch black with a huge creamy, long lasting tan head. Left a lot of lacing. Flavor of Sweet Milk Chocolate, Sweet Cherry, light touch of vanilla, strong black coffee, bitter black chocolate,with a hint of smoke and roasted malt. Excellent flavor! Full body, a thick, creamy, yet chewy texture. A bit above average carbonation. A pleasant, short, sharp finish. A excellent stout! I served this in a pint at 45 degrees. This has it all in a stout. If you like them thick, sweet and yet bitter, black and rich this is the stout for you! I am very impressed with this stout and this definitely gets added to my favorite rotation. THe only problem I could see with this brew is that one is enough, but is that a problem? :)

haides (2) - , Colorado, USA - JUN 15, 2008 does not count
I’ve loved this beer since I had it in Sri Lanka. The bottled version available in the US isn’t as good but it’s good enough considering how difficult it is to find it here.

Slyrock (1) - USA - JUN 17, 2009 does not count
Sri Lanka’s finest produce along with its pristine beaches, Rajapaksa’a Ltte bashing, Sanath Jayasuriya’s batting, Susanthika Jayasinghe’s muscles and Rosy Senanayake’s ageless beauty. I’m drinking the Lion stout right now as you read my review.. Its the best Stout ever.. Hic!

Jlockleg (3) - USA - DEC 30, 2009 does not count
The perfect stout. I have to admit, I was not a huge fan of stouts, but this one changed my mind forever. From Shrilanka, who knew they could brew.

harsha806 (1) - Virginia, USA - SEP 19, 2010 does not count
best beer ever!!!!! dark stout rich in flavor. only con is its difficult to find.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Sigmund (5966) - Tau, NORWAY - MAR 2, 2005
330 ml bottle, bought at Selfridge’s, London. Label says for some reason "Lion Dark Beer" in stead of "Lion Stout", but there’s no doubt that this is the very same beer. Otherwise the label is exactly the same, so is the ABV and the characteristics of the beer. Pitch black colour, impenetrable for light. Large and thick brown head. A real beauty! Excellent aroma of various types of wood, tar, leather, tobacco. Full and rich flavour where the roastiness and hops are perfectly balanced with the velvety sweetness. Extremely drinkable. It’s debatable whether "the perfect stout" exists, but the Lion must be pretty close!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Canuckistani (41) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 16, 2006
Just noticed it in the liquor store a few days ago but didn’t pick it up right away... their feature beers tend to be obscure and crappy. Moving on... sweet and sour perfection. Very strong malty flavour, with excellent aroma of chocolate and some soy with a hint of espresso. Aroma very reminiscent of soy sauce. Alcohol not very noticeable. Despite the fact that I drank from a bottle, this is worth going out and buying a snifter for this beer. I now consider my favourite to beer to stout. Phenomenal beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Gary (1732) - Greater London, ENGLAND - AUG 15, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2015 (625ml) . Lion Stout has been a fave of mine for years . i must give props out to Sri Lanka for this beautiful beast , lets be fucking real here , its a place better known for cricket ,tea and the setting for 1980s Duran Duran music videos . And the fact that they produced a robust stout in sub continent since the 1940’s seems misplaced and fucking cool -to contrast both their own boring lagers and general Asian beers ,. Michael Jackson endorses this even from the grave ,his face still resides on the bottle to this day . Its flavoursome , beautiful looking and gets you drunk .A complex beer and a fun drinking beer. This is not barrel aged anything , man. !!! Prunes, nuts , dark bitter chocolate , rich vanilla , notes of espresso roast ... A huge beige head above deep blackness . I even had the Lion glass but it broke recently . I would like to drink this in the mid day 90 degree Sri Lankan sun !

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Racegoer (354) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - JAN 16, 2003
another find at another store on the bottom shelf in the back, in the dark.Sweet smell of hops and coffee. Flavours of chocolate. coffee,licorice,raisins.Malty character of cookies,and roasted grains. This is an incredible beer, dynamic, robust hops and one of the best finishes I have ever had,my goodness man this one floored me. Drank at cellar temp, a clear concise choice of quality and absolutley a top 50 beer, Extremely Recommended !