Brewed by Little Creatures Brewing
Style: American Pale Ale
Fremantle, Australia

RATINGS: 622   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
We love our Pale Ale. Many of us from the brewery have made pilgrimages around the world in search of great varieties of this wonderful style. Surprisingly, there are no great secrets to brewing this type of ale but there are most definitely no great shortcuts. Bag loads of Cascade and Galaxy whole hop flowers that we source direct from hop growers in Victoria, Tassie and the US are thrown at this beer, creating an intense citrus and grapefruit aroma and flavour that we balance with a careful selection of specialty malts and a local pale malt made to our own specifications. Preservative and additive free our Pale Ale is live-yeast conditioned in bottles and kegs for unmatched freshness and character. From brewing to release, a batch of pale ale takes about six weeks, allowing for two weeks conditioning in the bottle after packaging. No artificial additives are included, just great ingredients. Pour it into a glass to enjoy it at its best! The beerís character is driven by the use of fresh whole hop flowers. Hop Flowers are carefuly selected that are bursting with aroma and contain all the essential oils and acids that deliver an uniqe flavour experience. Drink a few pints of this beer and youíll soon become one of usÖa certified "hophead" craving those crisp citrus flavours of grapefruit and passionfruit and maybe a bit of honey, all backed up with a good balance of bitterness. If youíre wondering what on earth malt or hops actually are then click on the two hop characters to the left and find out more. Itís not just the hops that make Little Creatures Pale Ale what it is though. Selected malts are kilned in small batches to our specifications and are used exlusively in our pale ale. Two different yeasts are used to both ferment and bottle condition the beer. The latest technology and equipment is used to maintain absolute quality control and one of the main ingredients in the pale ale has got to be the amount of passion that it takes to produce a seriously good beer...we live for it! From brewing to release, a batch of pale ale takes about six weeks, allowing for two weeks conditioning in the bottle after packaging. No artificial preservatives or additives are included, just great ingredients.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - FEB 12, 2004
Millions of peaches, peaches for me, millions of peaches, peaches for free! Yup, that's the aroma; sweet, fresh peaches. It's an amber gold brew. The flavour is quite full, more peaches with a hint of bitterness. Nice brew, cheers Mutant!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
haukur (1514) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - FEB 7, 2004
peaches all over the place in the aroma, nice filling, floral and eartjy notes, a little easy drinking but very nice.. nice pale ale

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
shorlin (721) - St. Johnís, Newfoundland, CANADA - FEB 4, 2004
Little cloudy with some mild carbonation that lasts a long time. OK lacing. Very very very nice nose. Solid but still reasonable hoppiness. Getting lemon and floral tones. Nice and dry, but not killer dry. Very refreshing, very good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JAN 17, 2004
A pale ale that really has it all for me. Not least reputation. This is the beer that bought the american style of pale ale flavors (think Sierra Nevada) to the market here I think. Nice strong hoppy aroma, as usual for me there is nothing to amazing in appearance. Flavor is what I am after here though and it delivers. Clean light fruit flavors that leave the tongue and then BAM hops. I wouldn't complain if there was more but there is enough. I guess I am rating this a touch higher than it deserves on product alone but the act of bringing it to our market has to be rewarded.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JAN 16, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2004 On Tap at The Australian- currently my favorite Australian beer. Gorgeous golden color and a rich hoppy and fruity aroma. What drinking pale ale is all about.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - DEC 20, 2003
UPDATED: APR 29, 2009 Really quite pale, with excellent head retention. Love the aroma, really fresh hops (Cascades of course), passionfruit, perhaps tinned lychees and sometimes some honeyish malt. Flavour is generally dominated by hops - thereís enough malt to balance, and sometimes more than that - quite grapefuity with a woody bitterness. Best when fresh, especially on tap. (4.2)
RR: Wow, itís a LONG time since I rated this. Anyway the hop character of this beer seems to be in a constant state of evolution. For years it was gloriously Cascadey, and then it went a bit NZ and now itís all weird and weedy. I still buy this beer regularly out of habit, but Iím invariably disappointed. Thereís just something really edgy about the hop character. Malt and yeast character remain more or less the same. I wish Iíd drank more of this stuff back when it was really great. (3.3)

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
inenigma (10) - sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 15, 2003
Not to my taste at all. I don't mind fruit, but, not in my beer thanks. I tasted nothing but grapefruit and grass and corriander. I hate corriander unless it's in Thai food.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Trogdor (196) - Cairns, AUSTRALIA - DEC 14, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2004 strong lychee flavours, absolutely a session beer, i've bought a couple cartons of it now, and really can't reccommend it highly enough, a great aussie effort.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
sirob (9) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 11, 2003 does not count
Best APA in Aussie. Bright orange amber appearance with a fine white head. Starts with a huge grapefruit and passionfruit aroma and leads to a crisp dry palate which is slighty cloying due to the huge hop flavor. Aroma may be a little disconcerting for some. All in all a great beer. Bring me another.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
KBeer (117) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 30, 2003
A wonderful pale ale in all areas. The aroma is full of a fresh fruity sense. You can taste the strong hops and it appears a bit cloudy. Its not all that dark, but it is probably one of the bets pale ales in Australia.