overall
Brewed by Little Creatures Brewing
Style: American Pale Ale
Fremantle, Australia

RATINGS: 588   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
We love our Pale Ale. Many of us from the brewery have made pilgrimages around the world in search of great varieties of this wonderful style. Surprisingly, there are no great secrets to brewing this type of ale but there are most definitely no great shortcuts. Bag loads of Cascade and Galaxy whole hop flowers that we source direct from hop growers in Victoria, Tassie and the US are thrown at this beer, creating an intense citrus and grapefruit aroma and flavour that we balance with a careful selection of specialty malts and a local pale malt made to our own specifications. Preservative and additive free our Pale Ale is live-yeast conditioned in bottles and kegs for unmatched freshness and character. From brewing to release, a batch of pale ale takes about six weeks, allowing for two weeks conditioning in the bottle after packaging. No artificial additives are included, just great ingredients. Pour it into a glass to enjoy it at its best! The beer’s character is driven by the use of fresh whole hop flowers. Hop Flowers are carefuly selected that are bursting with aroma and contain all the essential oils and acids that deliver an uniqe flavour experience. Drink a few pints of this beer and you’ll soon become one of us…a certified "hophead" craving those crisp citrus flavours of grapefruit and passionfruit and maybe a bit of honey, all backed up with a good balance of bitterness. If you’re wondering what on earth malt or hops actually are then click on the two hop characters to the left and find out more. It’s not just the hops that make Little Creatures Pale Ale what it is though. Selected malts are kilned in small batches to our specifications and are used exlusively in our pale ale. Two different yeasts are used to both ferment and bottle condition the beer. The latest technology and equipment is used to maintain absolute quality control and one of the main ingredients in the pale ale has got to be the amount of passion that it takes to produce a seriously good beer...we live for it! From brewing to release, a batch of pale ale takes about six weeks, allowing for two weeks conditioning in the bottle after packaging. No artificial preservatives or additives are included, just great ingredients.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Anonmatel (22) - AUSTRALIA - MAR 10, 2003
Sweet Sweet Candy. Well not really, but a dam fine beer, lovely hop flavour, one of my fondest memories was having a case of this stuff in my bedroom, and waking with the taste of Little Creatures on my lips, cracked one open before i got out of bed, sure it was warm. but hey who cares. Tastes of Hops, Lemon, etc. a great fine beer. A beer that turns you into a Alcoholic for no other reason but the taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
kook (2033) - Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA - FEB 2, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2005 Tasted on tap at Paddington. Lovely yellow with hints of amber liquid. Fine creamy white head. Brilliant hop aroma, quite overpowering. Great hoppy flavour, well balanced. Lovely smooth mouthfeel. (8-4-8-4-18) ReRate side-by-side with SNPA (Bottle): Golden with a medium, lasting white head. Big citrus (grapefruit) hop aroma. Sweet biscuity malt flavour with a perfect bitter finish. Lingering hop flavours. Smooth medium bodied. Refreshing without the metallic ting of SNPA.

Orlan (25) - AUSTRALIA - JAN 27, 2003
Wonderful aroma, very tasty fruity, nice hops. Great medium light body. Tasty sediment as you near the bottom. And its a local too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bokeroo (16) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JAN 4, 2003
Exquisite floral and fruity flavors. Very drinkable. Thoroughly enjoyed the first bottle I had at Doyles in Watson’s Bay (Sydney) and was very pleased to find a six-pack at my local bottle shop yesterday. The best Australian bottled beer in my honest opinion (I haven’t had the fortune of tasting Little Creatures on tap as it’s currently only available in Western Australia).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Catadobe (112) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 9, 2002
Interesting flavour, only live yeast brew made for commercial consumption as far as I know.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dubs (117) - St Peters, NSW, AUSTRALIA - NOV 22, 2002
<font color=’#990033’>Very nice on a warm summer’s night. I got some cherry... Good work.</font>

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
grant60 (185) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 23, 2002
what is the fuss over this. it just isn’t pale ale.

OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 12, 2002
Rerate: On tap, Paddington Ale House Perth Pretty much the same as the bottle - picks up an extra Overall point because of cool live band playing at the time (ie my sons funk-rock band)
First rating: Sept 2002, 4 Very faint hazy gold colour under a large medium lasting light yellow head. Medium floral hops and faint soap and yeast when cold, warming to citrus and stone fruit aroma. Medium-light body with excellent up front bitter palate flavoured with plenty of fruit followed by more bitter hops and lingering hints of honey and an interesting yeasty/spicey aftertaste. I think the Rogers is a more elegant beer but I’d probably prefer to sit down to a 6 pack of this one. Definitely superior Aussie brews and best of all they’re brewed in my home town - well done Creatures !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
johninmelb (1127) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 9, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2003 This is a nice beer, but not worth the fuss IMO. Two floral and fruity for me. RERATE 11feb03: Well, it's grown on me a lot. I think that first one I had was a bad bottle or a bad day - I was at a tasting the other day and found a new appreciation of the strong hoppy flavours and tart, bitter palate. Real nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LoveABeer (141) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - SEP 1, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2003 This Pale Ale has real flavor explosion of Passionfruit, honey and a very bittery lemon aftertaste. Loved every drop.