overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 288   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Has a cloudy, straw-colored appearance with a thick, creamy head.

julrey (32) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 9, 2005
Hopefully as Live Oak expands distribution theyíll continue to spend as much time lovingly crafting this divine product. If it werenít for the limited distribution around the Texas hill country I fully expect this would be touted as one of the best hefes in the country, if not the world. Iíve even had a pint off of a keg that had been shaken up, so it looked like I was about to drink a straight yeast culture, and even then this beer still walked all over the competition. It pours a beautiful golden straw hue, nice head. The perfect balance of citrus aromas greets the nose and the palate on first swallow, followed by a bit of spice with a hint of wheat. This is easily the most drinkable hefe Iíve ever had the pleasure to consume, even if there are bolder, more experimental hefes out there to compete in the knock-your-socks-off arena. This one is definitely a summer mainstay here in Austin. As others have stated, I hate to give this one a perfect five but itís only fair since I canít for the life of me figure out how this beer could be improved.

stoutgoddess (1) - USA - NOV 6, 2007 does not count
STOUTWIZARD IS JUST JEALOUS BC HE DOESNT TASTE LIKE ROTTEN FRUIT OR SCROTUM! this is my fav beer of all time! must try when in texas!

drabmuh (194) - Maryland, USA - MAR 31, 2011
A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on. Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful. The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good. Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer Iíve ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had. This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on. Serving type: growler

locapour (6) - Austin, USA - AUG 3, 2013 does not count
I featured this beer on an episode of Locapour: http://locapour.tv/austin/liveoakhefeweizen The beer has an almost mystical quality about it. The color is fantastic and the taste is one of the most powerful clove and banana combos youíll ever experience. Thereís a reason it is consistently rated as one of the best beers brewed in Texas.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
breity (1) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - MAR 20, 2008 does not count
This is quite simply the best American beer I have ever had. Pure liquid joy. I had it on-tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. Now I need to figure out how to get a growler....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Metallion66 (104) - - JAN 11, 2014
I straight up would pretty much never even bother to order a hefeweizen if it Wasnít for this beer. Practically everything about this beer is perfect imo. Lovely aroma, great appearance, INCREDIBLE taste. I can definitely see why this beer is heralded as the best hefe in the US.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
jthg (84) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 15, 2009
I always thought Franzikaner Hefe would be the best hefe ever. Turns out that on a side by side comparison in Austin, TX, I chose Live Oak. The beer greets you with a slightly abundant sulphur smell. This is not a smell that I usually would enjoy on a beer. For this one, I cannot explain why - but it works and works really well! The rest of the aroma brings in clove and a bit of banana. The banana and clove follow throughout the the taste and with an ample amount of carbonation. Delicious. The mouth is left slightly bitter wanting another sip. This beer makes me happy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
thetomG (246) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2011
BIG thanks to Monsone for busting out this growler at the BA Meetup @ Goose Island yesterday... Let me just get this out of the way early: This is EASILY the best HefeWeizen Iíve ever had. Now on to the review... Appearance was outstanding - mysteriously murky & cloudy golden straw color (leaning a bit towards orange). Dense layer of foamy white head that left a spotty ring of lacing around the glass. Aroma was great - some banana and wheat - just as youíd expect, but with a great deal of nuance. Flavor was spectacular - more of the banana and smooth wheat, but also a soft, tangy twinge of sweet citrus came through that put this one into another stratosphere for me... gone was the bite you sometimes get from a hefe - this is just extremely well balanced and super smooth. Carbonation is there (as evidenced by the nice layer of head I got on my pour), but the mouthfeel is amazingly silky. Again - another outstanding quality of this beer. I could drink this stuff all day and am already dreaming of the next time Iíll get to try it, so hopefully I can get my hands on a growler sometime soon here...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale Łber alles, Arizona, USA - DEC 6, 2011
growler from atx consumed in one sitting 5/21/11. cloudy orange brown hefe color with a soft white head. aroma is wheaty, naners, orange, lemon, vanilla. tastes like dusty wheat, vanilla, oj, lemony finish, spicy, cheerios/cereal and light saltiness. tastes like my homebrewed hefe and an amped up version of 4P hefe. crispy. easy drinking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jmarsh123 (163) - Indiana, USA - OCT 4, 2013
Pours a murky yellow with a thin white head. Good lemon and bubblegum aroma with banana and faint hints of clove. First taste is heavy in lemon with some bubblegum. Lots of good banana flavor throughout similar to the nose. Finishes crisp with light noble hop bitterness. Just a touch of clove. Thin mouthfeel and good carbonation level. About right for the style. Finally get to try this highly rated beer and it doesnít disappoint. Subtle flavors are spot on. Banana and lemon are highly present and clove is low, just how I like my hefes. Oustandingly smooth. I could drink this all day.