Long Island Meadery Peach Mead

Formerly brewed at Long Island Meadery
Style: Mead
Holbrook, New York USA

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.5/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
Peaches and orange blossom honey fermented into a nice light semi-dry mead with a hint of peach and an ABV of 13%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
notalush (4855) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 1, 2005
This is unlike what I am accustomed to in a mead - long island has a lot of wineries, and I think the owner of this new meadery is trying to cater to the tastes of all the long island wine drinkers - looks a lot like a white zinfandel when poured - quite a sweet aroma, with peach quite dominant, honey (obviously), some floral/perfume qualities, and underlying alcohol - alcohol is very apparent in the flavor, only a tad sweet up front, and quite vinous - muscat grapes, some herbal notes - even a little bit dry in the finish, and the owner called this one of his sweeter ones - all these qualities are what lead me to believe this company’s products are being geared toward the wine drinker - by trying to get the mead to conform to more to what one would expect from standard wine makes me feel like I am missing out on the "real mead" experience - perhaps I am wrong, but this will not impact my rating - I enjoy this mead, even if it may not be what I expected - the progression of flavors (from sweet, to almost tart, to completely dry) is quite balanced, despite the apparent alcohol - I would drink this again.