overall

RATINGS: 466   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Long Trail Ale is a full-bodied amber ale modeled after the “Alt-biers” of Düsseldorf, Germany. Our top fermenting yeast and cold finishing temperature result in a complex, yet clean, full flavor. Originally introduced in November of 1989, Long Trail Ale beer quickly became, and remains, the largest selling craft-brew in Vermont. It is a multiple medal winner at the Great American Beer Festival.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
slange1299 (6) - Superior, Colorado, USA - SEP 3, 2001 does not count
reminds me of my college days...tasty yet not too bold...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - DEC 12, 2006
Enjoyed a pint of this one on draught at the brewery in Bridgewater Corners, VT. Long Trail has been a favortie of mine for years, and Long Trail Ale, is a beer I really love. This beer is a very good domestic example of altbier, with lots of good hop and malt character. This beer pours to a beautiful, bright, deep copper color, with a thick, white head, and a good carbonation. The nose on this beer is excellent, with lots of good zesty/herbal hop aromas. and hints of light fruit. The palate is firm, with good nutty/toasty malt flavor, on a clean, smooth, round body. This beer finishes with more of those great malt flavors up front, then ends with a zesty burst of herbal hop bitterness that lingers. Excellent altbier, a beer I could pound with impunity. Made a fantastic match with a hot cup of VT cheddar cheese soup at the brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
flynnguy (14) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 25, 2005
Very good beer, nice balance of malt and hops and very smooth. Unfortunately now that I am not longer in Vermont I can’t get this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VTDeerHunter (51) - Vermont, USA - DEC 26, 2002
This is probably their best beer. It’s the first of their’s I’ve tried, and it’s the one I purchase most often (of their beers that is).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kenlenard (3) - Buffalo Grove, Illinois, USA - OCT 17, 2007 does not count
I tried this beer at the Long Trail visitor center in Bridgewater Corners, VT. We were staying at the Inn across the street and after 46 miles of biking we stopped in for a few Long Trail Ales. The color is a dark amber with a nice off-white head. The aroma is of sweet malt, a small amount of fruit and faint hops. The flavor is nicely balanced, smooth and refreshing. A very nice beer overall and I could easily see having a number of them and not tiring of it. Not exactly what I would call an Altbier or even an interpretation of an Alt. But I like it nonetheless.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hennessyjk (23) - Nashua, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 16, 2012
I enjoyed this beer with some great Hennessy wings. A wonderful balance with the spicy food. This is a marvelous ale that can be enjoyed with any good meal. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 13, 2002

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dmcguriman (10) - USA - AUG 15, 2003
I like it, that's what matters most to me. Color, flavor aroma blah blah blah, I hate how I'm forced to use the typical wording of beer snobs!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigBen2120 (688) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - APR 18, 2008
12oz bottle. Pours a clear amber-red body with a half inch of off-white head that dissipates rather quickly. Smells malty initially but gives a fair bit of American hops in the aroma also. Tastes equal parts malt and an American hop bitterness - grassy, piney, with some citrus. Light to medium in body with ample carbonation and a semi-clean finish. Reminds me more of an American Amber than an altbier. Either way, a very tasty drinkable beer. I can see buying this one on a regular basis.

jbak (111) - Torrington, Connecticut, USA - DEC 22, 2002
This rating is probably a bit too high considering the style it is listed as. Everything is a bit over the top as is usual for Long Trail. This is an excellent brew that doesn’t really fit into the Altbier style. Very drinkable and quite nice on tap, even if most place just never seem to get the carbonation right (not LT fault).