overall

RATINGS: 193   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
We've brewed our filtered IPA for 13 years, and never considered offering the REAL (unfiltered) version that is naturally carbonated just as it comes out of our fermenters. Well here it is! We hope you enjoy our REAL IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 7, 2006
This offering from Long Trail poured hard out of the 12 oz bottle, has a golden dark blonde body with some small yeast floating around and leaves a fluffy off-white head about 1-1/2in thick. The head is sticky frothy with giant bubbles throughout. The nose of this brew is suttle faint grape, grassy essence, followed by a hint of morning dew and flowers after a heavy rain. The taste is average, it starts bitter on the palate then moves to a slight watery sweetness like the juice of a melon and finishes with a lemon rind bitterness. Overall decent brew, I guess on tap from the brewery is far superior so Iíll have to try and update my review. I paired this beer with a grilled sirlion, baked then grilled sweet potatoe and sweet peas....the earthy flavors in the IPA paired nicely with steak and the rustic flavors in the sweet potatoe.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
2beerguys (299) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 11, 2006
This IPA pours a light orange color with no particles and an off-white, virtually non-existent head. Clear body. Scent is of light citrus lemon hops. Initial taste is a moderately sweet, light bitter taste that continues through the finish. There is lively carbonation with light body on the palatte.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - JAN 29, 2006
Almost mild--smooth bodied, toast-grain-caramel malts with a clear floral finish. This is an IPA? Really? Still not bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 24, 2006
Pours a cloudy amber with a generous white head. Smells of pine resin, some bitter citrus and some tarte malt. Tastes a bit of oranges, some pine resin, a touch of anise, lemon and some malty tinges. Finish is crisp and resreshing. I hope this one becomes a regular rotation of theirs.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 10, 2006
Another bottle thanks OldGrowth (and another rating moved to the correct spot thanks to him)! Pours pretty clear for an unfiltered beer. Smells of, well, beer. A little malt, a little hops. Nothing really distinguishing. Taste is about the same. Not very hoppy, not very bitter. Nothing offensive, just not all that much there. I read ClarkVVís defense of this beer with respect to the DFH 60-minute. I donít really like very bitter IPAs (I thought the Two Hearted Ale was almost undrinkable and it shot my palate for the rest of the night), but I also like something interesting from my beers, and this didnít have it. You can definitely go too far in any dimension, but for my money, Iíd like something that goes farther than this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DYCSoccer17 (3490) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 31, 2005
Bottle. Huge hoppy piney aroma with hemp-like notes as well. A bit of floral hops as well. As the hoppiness subsides, caramelly malts present in the nose. This is a real joy to smell. Mildly hazy light copper color--wish this was darker with a decent frothy light tan head and nice lacing. Disappointing subdued hoppy start. I taste lots of butter and sulfur...almost tastes like the smell of a newly lit match. Lots of caramel malts and not much in the way of hops or bitterness. The aggressive, pungent aroma does not come through in the flavor and I would consider this a let down. Decent, but this had so much promise...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerGod (5570) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - DEC 30, 2005
Bottle courtesy of OldGrowth (rating moved to the correct beer, Thanks Tom!). Pours a pretty amber with a small white head. Aroma is hoppy and sweet Taste is hoppy and slightly piney. Fruit (melon, orange, light tangerine), pine needles, earthy hops and caramel make up the bulk of the taste. Body is slick with a medium feel. Finishes with a pleasant moderate hoppiness. Light earthy notes, some pine and citrus fruits round it out. Itís well made but nothing extraordinary.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
egajdzis (5576) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2005
Poured a clear amber color with a medium sized, off white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of grass, citrus fruits, sweet malts. Taste of the same, sweet malts, with a grassy, and lightly bitter finish. Creamy mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (4218) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 14, 2005
Bottle from Julios consumed on 12/10/2005. Nose is foresty, soft, fuzzy hops supported by light sourdough-like malts. Interesting that canary dog feels he can tell the difference between pelletized hops. Smells fine to me, itís certainly not any knock your sox off west coast ipa. Whatever. I also didnt get any oxidized/stale flavors. And furthermore, whatís so remarkable about Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA?? A drinkable beer? sure, but itís quite bitter, acidic and heavily filtered now, leading to a thinned out and very lacking mouthfeel. I guess itís remarkable in that regard, as in, I might remark "Boy, this beer sure sucks now compared to how good it was 3 years ago." I also think their marketing is talking in that guyís review. Sure it says on the bottle that they boil the hops for 60 minutes, and itís nothing but the freshest ingredients blah blah blah, so itís easy to turn around and talk shit about Long Trail and call their hops stale and pelletized. There certainly is more to the IPA style than just how strong and bitter your hops are. It seems like a cop-out to just say, "DFH 60 minute is a more bitter, hoppier IPA, therefore itís better". I guess that works for some people though, and maybe, in the end, the IPA is just about how hoppy and bitter you can make it. I think filtration is a huge aspect in any beer, though, IPA or otherwise (maybe not kristalweizen) so that should play a role and 60 minute isnt bottle conditioned. Iíll take unfiltered over whole leaf hops anyday. Well, anyways, I forgot where Iím going with this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
OldGrowth (2914) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - DEC 13, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2006 Bottle from Julioís. Ok nose, sweet. Pine, citrus, little sourdough. Tad hazy brownish orange color, small to no head, minor lacing. Bitter flavors, like aromas. Citrus mainly, kinda grassy. Pellet hop thing. Medium body, thicker creamy mouthfeel, citrusy bitter finish. Donít know if itís any better than the original? In fact I see i scored it marginally lower, go figure. I guess I was hoping for something more. I donít see where this was worth their effort.