overall

RATINGS: 846   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Lost Abbey’s once a year Anniversary beer. A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Belgian-Style Beer that had Brettanomyces (a special Belgian brewer’s yeast) added at bottling. (from newsletter) (from bottle: Ale Brewed with Raisins) 10 commandments: 1. The most imaginative beers are our crusade. 2. We believe we are all in this together. 3. We strive for honesty and integrity in our lives like you. 4. Fresh beer is great, aged beer is better. 5.Now that you have found us, help us spread the message. 6. There is good and evil in the world, our beers are good. 7. Passion isn’t something you can buy at the corner store. 8. We believe an inspired life is worth living. 9. Life is about choices. The Lost Abbey is a great choice. 10. We are not perfect but no one is.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Ok.........I’m in love with another beer from Lost Abbey. Pours a completely NON translucent dark brown with a faint ruby hue. head was small, wispy, and beige in color. Nose was bursting with flavors of cinnamon, raisins and other dark fruits. Flavor was potent with cocoa dust, dark fruits, and.....once again.....cinnamon. I’m so glad I live in San Diego, a beer dorks heaven on Earth. Thank You Tomme (brewer).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
egajdzis (5409) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Poured a lightly hazy, chestnut color with a medium sized, light tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of caramel malts, raisins, light cocoa, ginger, light chamomile, and faint, horsey brett, but I am sniffing hard now. Taste of roasted malts, light chocolate, ginger, dried fruits, brown sugar, a bit of bandage, nuts, and alcohol. Very faint tartness in the finish. I’d like to have one more to age, to see if any more brett comes through.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 12, 2008
Sample Hotshots Feb Indy tasting - Aroma is dark roasted malt, tons of spice, raisin and other dark fruits. Pours dark brown with a small head and good lacing. Flavor matches aroma with some chocolate sneaking in. Palate is dry and sticky. If I had to put my finger on the strong spice, it would be the same "ginger" used in the old SPF45. It is off-putting to me and didn’t match up well with the rest of this brew. Still drinkable and unique, just not my thing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
doubleo (1433) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 8, 2008
750ml bottle. Pours a clearish dark reddish brown color. Very thin light brown head that fades quickly and leaves just a touch of lace. Smells like cooked raisins and dark syrupy malts. Although I absolutely hate cooked raisins I thought this beer tasted great. Tastes like boiled raisins and brown sugar. There is a bit of a spicy malt on the finish. Not thin but not thick. Coats the mouth. Nice, active carbonation. I wasn’t expecting to really like this beer but I did. I dig the Dark Belgian style of this brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2008
Bottle from trade. Pours a thick dark chestnut brown with a tan head that slowly recedes. Nice musky raisin and date aroma, tobacco. Sweet dark fruits, slight funk, dates and sugarcane on the taste. Thick and sweet. A great brew to touch with the Brett.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
IndianaRed (2606) - Boise, Idaho, USA - FEB 4, 2008
Bottle pours a deep redish brown with a large sandy colored head. Lots of blocky lacing. Some dark fruit, raisons and slightly spicy aroma. Flavors wer similar, earthy slightly sweet and the alcohol is noticeable but goes well with everything else. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BuckeyeBoy (2878) - Boise, Idaho, USA - FEB 1, 2008
750ml Bottle. Pours out a hazy dark brown topped with a nice cream tan head. A nice aroma of Belg spice and the normal yeast. Tast yeast malt and a little zing of lemon or something like that. Thanks Jake65 for letting me have so of this treat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
radiomgb (2391) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 30, 2008
Murky brown in colour, thin tan coloured head, some lacing. The aroma is very sweet with lots of alcohol, some chocolate and dark fruits. The flavour is yeasty, quite sweet, lots of fruits - apples, light spice, some raisins. Sweet mouthfeel, medium body, medium carbonation. Finishes long, sweet, yeasty with some light alcohol warmth. The moderate amounts of alcohol in this became somewhat of a distraction, very sweet. Lacking body.

750ml bottle shared by <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/ViewUser.asp?U target=blank>rudolf, thanks Rudy.
Opened on December 1, 2007.
No date.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jake65 (2730) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 30, 2008
Bottle: Pours a purplish dark brown with a thick, creamy beige head. Aroma is spicey and fruity, a little citrus and lemon zest. A little yeast. Flavor is malty, vinous, spicey, and more yeast. Nice bit of dark fruits. Overall a nice ale, but not quite what I expect from Lost Abbey.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TURDFERGUSON (3969) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 27, 2008
Pours a dark, dark brown with a small tan head that gives way to some pretty nice lace. Nose is holiday spices, molasses, malt, and some belgian yeastiness. Still no brett. Flavor is similar to aroma with alcohol hardly picked up upon. Palate is actually slightly watery and bland. I tried to save this for a while hoping the brett would open up but it looks like that is still a long way off.