overall

RATINGS: 817   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Lost Abbey’s once a year Anniversary beer. A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Belgian-Style Beer that had Brettanomyces (a special Belgian brewer’s yeast) added at bottling. (from newsletter) (from bottle: Ale Brewed with Raisins) 10 commandments: 1. The most imaginative beers are our crusade. 2. We believe we are all in this together. 3. We strive for honesty and integrity in our lives like you. 4. Fresh beer is great, aged beer is better. 5.Now that you have found us, help us spread the message. 6. There is good and evil in the world, our beers are good. 7. Passion isn’t something you can buy at the corner store. 8. We believe an inspired life is worth living. 9. Life is about choices. The Lost Abbey is a great choice. 10. We are not perfect but no one is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 21, 2007
GABF 2007. Smells woody and herbal (almost menthol) with figs, sugar, and raisin. Over-ripe fruits at first and at the beginning of the finish, with the middle oaky and vinous. Aged hops bitterness on the end. Subtle and delicious, but lacking something to make it memorable or special.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GregClow (2891) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 19, 2007
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, blankboy, jerc, mabel and tupalev - blankboy’s bottle. Hazy ruby-brown with a small off-white head. Aroma has lots of raisins and brown sugar, but with a slightly tart/funky note in behind. Medium mouthfeel. Flavour is big and malty, dark sugar and fruit, mild spice, a bit of funk - lots going on here, I wish we’d had it earlier in the tasting so I could’ve gotten more out of it, but still damn good, even in a slightly drunken state.

HogTownHarry (6101) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - DEC 18, 2007
Bottle (750ml). Shared with blankboy, GregClow, jerc, mabel and tupalev, blankboy’s bottle. Deep ruby with good-sized off-white (it almost had a greenish tint) head. And as usual, a really cool label design. Quite a bitter aroma, with an odd bit of funk to it, I got grain, grapes, a hint of lemon juice, something complex, acidic and funky hovering just out of range of my sniffer. Tasted as it smelled, very malty and yeasty but some light tree fruit and herbal pungent hops. Thick, tongue-jangling on the palate (in a good way), fairly sweet up-front but bitterness, light acidity and gentle sour funk are its legacy - Damned good, better as it warms up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gorbalev (2924) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 16, 2007
Bottle shared with GregClow, Jerc, Mabel, Hogtown Harry, and Blankboy, courtesy of Blankboy. Nice aroma - plum, dark fruit, some malt. Dark brown, very little head. Taste is complex - dark fruit and plum again, but also some malt sweetness. Wonderful medium mouthfeel. Complex. Outstanding.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FrancoisMtl (63) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 15, 2007
First, I must say, I got two bottles from set up trade and as an extra in another trade so I do not really know who exactly gave me this bottle, perhaps it is pantanap or wetherel. Pours dark brown color with thin but creamy tan head. Dark fruit, plum and raisin aroma. Fruity and toffee flavors comes at first with some roasted notes playing in the background. I perceived some sweetness although I have the impression of a light-medium body and silkiness in the mouthfeel. Like many people here I did not get any Brett at first but I must admit I got some reminiscence of brett towards the end of the tasting. Big thanks to pantanap and wetherel and I will keep the second bottle to see how the Brett evolves.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jercraigs (7812) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 3, 2007
Bottle. Ratebeer Christmas in Oshawa, December 2007. "They can pry it from my cold dead hands"... No? Moving along. Hazy dark brown body with a small creamy tan head. Sweet malty aroma, accents of caramel, roast nuts, and mild fruit (7+). Sweet malty flavour, light spice in the finish, alcoholic undertones. Pepper? Average to medium palate. (3+) Very nice, but there is something that makes me like it, not love it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rudolf (2341) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 3, 2007
Xmas in Oshawa. Thanks! Very dark brown, tan head. Nose is kinda unibroue-ey. Ginger, yeast, rich malt, clove. Flavor is rich malt, yeast, clove, ginger, some alcohol, dark fruits. Extremely light funkiness. Ginger & clove with some caramel in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SpringsLicker (3132) - Tennessee, USA - NOV 29, 2007
Noogfest Thanks to Shp555 for bringing this one to share. Pours muddy brown with a tan head. The aroma is sour, fruity and malt based. Sweet fruity start, dry finish. A bit thin bodied. A touch more complexity would make this a standout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pineypower (2509) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - NOV 26, 2007
Pours out dark brown with a moderate tan head. Aroma is of raisin, fig, plum, date, candi sugar and slight alcohol. Taste is complex, with a smooth, well balanced mouthfeel. Raisin, with fig, semi-sweet chocolate, some other earthy/spice notes throughout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - NOV 22, 2007
Raisins, plums, prunes, apricots, figs, bakers cocoa, toffee and marzipan nose. Big and rich mouthfeel bursting with dark fruit. Somewhat hot and mildly acidic. Sweet almost cloying and very intense alcoholic bite. Big sweet finish.