overall

RATINGS: 939   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Lost Abbey’s once a year Anniversary beer. A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Belgian-Style Beer that had Brettanomyces (a special Belgian brewer’s yeast) added at bottling. (from newsletter) (from bottle: Ale Brewed with Raisins) 10 commandments: 1. The most imaginative beers are our crusade. 2. We believe we are all in this together. 3. We strive for honesty and integrity in our lives like you. 4. Fresh beer is great, aged beer is better. 5.Now that you have found us, help us spread the message. 6. There is good and evil in the world, our beers are good. 7. Passion isn’t something you can buy at the corner store. 8. We believe an inspired life is worth living. 9. Life is about choices. The Lost Abbey is a great choice. 10. We are not perfect but no one is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nbutler11 (1267) - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - DEC 19, 2008
Tap at Papago courtesy of Tommie Arthur. Pours a dark brown color with a large tan head. Looks gorgeous. Smells and tastes like a holiday beer, which I didnt expect. Lots of pine, raisin, and anise. Earthy and sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
douglas88 (8396) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 17, 2008
2008 edition. 750 ml bottle bought at College Liquors in Grand Junction, CO. Pours a dark brown color with a large light brown head. A very nice aroma consisting of brett, some funky sourness, raisins, spices, and malt. The taste was very nice, lots of warmth here, some honey, spices, dark fruit, raisins, somewhat vinous, overall very nice. A really well made brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DTM (798) - Winters, California, USA - DEC 14, 2008
Bottle from Mounment in Concord, CA. Poured a reddish/brown color and smelled of....well raisins. Very sweet, so if you like sweet, buy this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - DEC 14, 2008
Darker brown body, red hues towards the edges, with a tall tan head. Higher carbonation really brings out a nice spiciness to the nose. The brett character wasnt very strong, more clove coming through and some dry herbalness. Deep dark fruit maltiness, raisin and hints of port and a slight black licorice flavor to the finish. I would like to try this as the brett develops more and give the beer some tartness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
emacgee (4598) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - DEC 12, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2009 Thanks southbay. Pours a dark hazy brown with a 1-2 finger tan head. The nose is yeasty, spicy, sweet, nice rosemary in the nose, has a De Dolle tartness to it. The flavor has a very nice sour/tart character to it, rosemary, spicy, warm alcohol, yeasty, nice Belgian character. Warm and tart mouthfeel with some bitterness. What a nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Flyer (118) - Hartland, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 9, 2008
One of the most wine-like beers I’ve had, and though that’s usually not a compliment coming from me, I thought this was very interesting and good. Pours deep red with almost no head. Aromas of Belgian floral and some fruity herbiness. Very drinkable with a nice balance of raisins, honey, that pervasive Belgian floral quality, and herbiness. An interesting and largely successful experiment, and a delicious change of pace.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 9, 2008
750ml bottle. 2008. I bought two of these, one to age a year, and one fresh. I believe this is a couple months old now. Pours almost completely flat, brownish red color. Some very faint swirls appear and a tiny ring of bubbles but this is more or less flat. At first I think I get an Orvalish brett component but fairly quickly I figure it is just normal spices. Aroma shows raisin, chocolate, fruity spicy esters of saison origin, peppery. Rosemary is present but much less pungent than it is in normal herb form. A complex and intriguing blend of aromas. The warmer this gets the more the rosemary comes out. Some oregano is also present and general pizza stuff. Taste is more traditionally saison like than the aroma with a hint of dark caramel, light chocolate, and dark fruits intertwined with the spicy, phenolic yeast. Mouthfeel is slick, neither sweet nor dry though it somehow feels young. After all is said and done I get no wild yeast component out of this. I will certainly rate this again in a year when I crack my other bottle. As for now I think this is a fairly solid beer and a good example of a dark saison.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ghawener (1567) - San Salvador, EL SALVADOR - DEC 8, 2008
Bottle: Toooo sweeet, lots of honey and fruity notes. Lacks any head or lacing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
robforbes (2180) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - DEC 6, 2008
pours a dark brown with a medium size caramel-tan bubbly foam head, looks almost like a coca-cola only with better lacing. smell is of dark fruits, some caramel, some spice, a little sweetness, and some malt. taste is sweet up front, raisins, grapes, prunes, spice, some cocoa, sour malt, finishes nicely, the sweetness dies down a bit and the fruit flavors come through.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MartinT (9319) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 30, 2008
UPDATED: APR 23, 2011 My Bottom Line:
Rosemary and brettanomyces intertwine and flutter within deeply caramelized cereals and raisins for a portly and sovereign Belgian-style Strong Ale.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A ring of foam circles the burgundy-hued dark brown.
-This tastes like a spiced Abt; I find it more complex than their Judgment Day Abt, as a matter of fact.
-The finish is nicely dried out by the spiciness and wild yeast. Addendum: not all batches are dried out. The latest I had was super-sweet with no hints of wild yeast at all...
-Some light roast adds to the complexity.
-This has a lot more body than I expected!

Bottles.