overall

RATINGS: 834   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Lost Abbey’s once a year Anniversary beer. A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Belgian-Style Beer that had Brettanomyces (a special Belgian brewer’s yeast) added at bottling. (from newsletter) (from bottle: Ale Brewed with Raisins) 10 commandments: 1. The most imaginative beers are our crusade. 2. We believe we are all in this together. 3. We strive for honesty and integrity in our lives like you. 4. Fresh beer is great, aged beer is better. 5.Now that you have found us, help us spread the message. 6. There is good and evil in the world, our beers are good. 7. Passion isn’t something you can buy at the corner store. 8. We believe an inspired life is worth living. 9. Life is about choices. The Lost Abbey is a great choice. 10. We are not perfect but no one is.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gorbalev (2940) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 16, 2007
Bottle shared with GregClow, Jerc, Mabel, Hogtown Harry, and Blankboy, courtesy of Blankboy. Nice aroma - plum, dark fruit, some malt. Dark brown, very little head. Taste is complex - dark fruit and plum again, but also some malt sweetness. Wonderful medium mouthfeel. Complex. Outstanding.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FrancoisMtl (63) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 15, 2007
First, I must say, I got two bottles from set up trade and as an extra in another trade so I do not really know who exactly gave me this bottle, perhaps it is pantanap or wetherel. Pours dark brown color with thin but creamy tan head. Dark fruit, plum and raisin aroma. Fruity and toffee flavors comes at first with some roasted notes playing in the background. I perceived some sweetness although I have the impression of a light-medium body and silkiness in the mouthfeel. Like many people here I did not get any Brett at first but I must admit I got some reminiscence of brett towards the end of the tasting. Big thanks to pantanap and wetherel and I will keep the second bottle to see how the Brett evolves.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jercraigs (8006) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 3, 2007
Bottle. Ratebeer Christmas in Oshawa, December 2007. "They can pry it from my cold dead hands"... No? Moving along. Hazy dark brown body with a small creamy tan head. Sweet malty aroma, accents of caramel, roast nuts, and mild fruit (7+). Sweet malty flavour, light spice in the finish, alcoholic undertones. Pepper? Average to medium palate. (3+) Very nice, but there is something that makes me like it, not love it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rudolf (2342) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 3, 2007
Xmas in Oshawa. Thanks! Very dark brown, tan head. Nose is kinda unibroue-ey. Ginger, yeast, rich malt, clove. Flavor is rich malt, yeast, clove, ginger, some alcohol, dark fruits. Extremely light funkiness. Ginger & clove with some caramel in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SpringsLicker (3163) - Tennessee, USA - NOV 29, 2007
Noogfest Thanks to Shp555 for bringing this one to share. Pours muddy brown with a tan head. The aroma is sour, fruity and malt based. Sweet fruity start, dry finish. A bit thin bodied. A touch more complexity would make this a standout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pineypower (2527) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - NOV 26, 2007
Pours out dark brown with a moderate tan head. Aroma is of raisin, fig, plum, date, candi sugar and slight alcohol. Taste is complex, with a smooth, well balanced mouthfeel. Raisin, with fig, semi-sweet chocolate, some other earthy/spice notes throughout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - NOV 22, 2007
Raisins, plums, prunes, apricots, figs, bakers cocoa, toffee and marzipan nose. Big and rich mouthfeel bursting with dark fruit. Somewhat hot and mildly acidic. Sweet almost cloying and very intense alcoholic bite. Big sweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kenb (1102) - Oregon, USA - NOV 17, 2007
750ml bottle from Naven (thanks!). Pours a dark brown with an average size beige head.Nose is quite boozy with lots of yeasty phenols and some fruity esters that are barely perceptable under the alcohol. It pretty much tastes like it smells but also with some raisin, figs, chocolate and licorice. Also some earthiness in the aftertaste that borders on woody elements and some barely noticeable smokiness underneath as well....The body is medium and the carbonation is medium as well. I think this one may have been much better after a year or so, as it is quite rough around the edges.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TomDecapolis (4518) - Milton, Delaware, USA - NOV 17, 2007
Pours a deeper brown with amber notes and a medium bubbly/creamy tan head that left some lacing. Aroma of ginger, dark fruits, raisins, malty sweetness, tropicla fruits, other various spices. Flavors were a mix of the same. Lots of dark fruits and seems like ginger up front.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
harrisoni (14009) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - NOV 17, 2007
Bottle at Chris_o’s Magic Night. Concentrated Branston Pickle aroma. Acidic. Tastes of Branston Pickle. Pretty poor. Ginger/spice finish.