RATINGS: 911   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Lost Abbeyís once a year Anniversary beer. A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Belgian-Style Beer that had Brettanomyces (a special Belgian brewerís yeast) added at bottling. (from newsletter) (from bottle: Ale Brewed with Raisins) 10 commandments: 1. The most imaginative beers are our crusade. 2. We believe we are all in this together. 3. We strive for honesty and integrity in our lives like you. 4. Fresh beer is great, aged beer is better. 5.Now that you have found us, help us spread the message. 6. There is good and evil in the world, our beers are good. 7. Passion isnít something you can buy at the corner store. 8. We believe an inspired life is worth living. 9. Life is about choices. The Lost Abbey is a great choice. 10. We are not perfect but no one is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IEBAILI (127) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 10, 2008
Dark brown ale with aroma of fig, date, and spice - clove and cinnamon, and a touch of funk. Tastes of cola, caramel, raisins, and slight tartness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 9, 2008
Sweet aroma of dried dates that carries through to the flavor. Flavor has quite a bit of cola and a little mocha too.

JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 3, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2009 Darker brown color with a light whitish head. Aroma is dominated by oranges, cinnamon, and assorted spices. Flavor has quite a bit of raw cinnamon, some coriander and assorted spices, raisins, plums, dates, and lighter red wine. Brett barely noticeable, but in there. Nice mouthfeel - good brew from Tomme, but not as "knock your socks of as I had hoped". I guess when your as good as PP/LA a good beer like this seems plain - still highly drinkable and a good food pairing brew. Re-rate of a 2008 bottle: This one really perked up and got alot funkier, more sour, and gained complexity. Good to see when a great brewer can still improve on a product from year to year!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
bhensonb (12960) - Woodland, California, USA - MAR 3, 2008
750 ml bottle, corked and caged. Cork lightly popped with a red wine effluvium. The aroma is something like dark plum wine (if there is such) with something like cinnamon bark. Color is a really hazy deep brown with a tan head that just ringed. Near full bodied with slightly coarse, creamy carbonation. The flavor is just amazing. Thereís some sort of spice (cinnamon?) that balances the raisiny sweetness. Itís a bit vinous. It generates heat in the chest. Brettanomyces? Sour? Could be, but the result is so smooth that sour does not readily come to mind. Not very hoppy. Mixing port and dry sherry comes to mind, if some bitter is tossed in. Itís complex; itís tasty; itís got a touch of rosemary? Pretty amazing ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - FEB 26, 2008
NorCal Feb í08 - I had brought this beer back with my on a Summer í07 trip to SoCal and was hoping 6 months of age would do something different, than what I tasted during that trip. Suprisingly, it had. Flavor was really a full on assault of dark fruit, some toffee and molasses. The body was really chewy which I enjoyed. Aroma is dark fruit, yeast..maybe even a touch rummy. Quite easy to drink actually. Nice beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Ok.........Iím in love with another beer from Lost Abbey. Pours a completely NON translucent dark brown with a faint ruby hue. head was small, wispy, and beige in color. Nose was bursting with flavors of cinnamon, raisins and other dark fruits. Flavor was potent with cocoa dust, dark fruits, and.....once again.....cinnamon. Iím so glad I live in San Diego, a beer dorks heaven on Earth. Thank You Tomme (brewer).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
egajdzis (5697) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Poured a lightly hazy, chestnut color with a medium sized, light tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of caramel malts, raisins, light cocoa, ginger, light chamomile, and faint, horsey brett, but I am sniffing hard now. Taste of roasted malts, light chocolate, ginger, dried fruits, brown sugar, a bit of bandage, nuts, and alcohol. Very faint tartness in the finish. Iíd like to have one more to age, to see if any more brett comes through.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 12, 2008
Sample Hotshots Feb Indy tasting - Aroma is dark roasted malt, tons of spice, raisin and other dark fruits. Pours dark brown with a small head and good lacing. Flavor matches aroma with some chocolate sneaking in. Palate is dry and sticky. If I had to put my finger on the strong spice, it would be the same "ginger" used in the old SPF45. It is off-putting to me and didnít match up well with the rest of this brew. Still drinkable and unique, just not my thing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
doubleo (1432) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 8, 2008
750ml bottle. Pours a clearish dark reddish brown color. Very thin light brown head that fades quickly and leaves just a touch of lace. Smells like cooked raisins and dark syrupy malts. Although I absolutely hate cooked raisins I thought this beer tasted great. Tastes like boiled raisins and brown sugar. There is a bit of a spicy malt on the finish. Not thin but not thick. Coats the mouth. Nice, active carbonation. I wasnít expecting to really like this beer but I did. I dig the Dark Belgian style of this brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2008
Bottle from trade. Pours a thick dark chestnut brown with a tan head that slowly recedes. Nice musky raisin and date aroma, tobacco. Sweet dark fruits, slight funk, dates and sugarcane on the taste. Thick and sweet. A great brew to touch with the Brett.