overall

RATINGS: 808   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Lost Abbey’s once a year Anniversary beer. A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Belgian-Style Beer that had Brettanomyces (a special Belgian brewer’s yeast) added at bottling. (from newsletter) (from bottle: Ale Brewed with Raisins) 10 commandments: 1. The most imaginative beers are our crusade. 2. We believe we are all in this together. 3. We strive for honesty and integrity in our lives like you. 4. Fresh beer is great, aged beer is better. 5.Now that you have found us, help us spread the message. 6. There is good and evil in the world, our beers are good. 7. Passion isn’t something you can buy at the corner store. 8. We believe an inspired life is worth living. 9. Life is about choices. The Lost Abbey is a great choice. 10. We are not perfect but no one is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
alraicercsu (166) - Ft.Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 8, 2008
Bottle. Aroma of malt and yeast and a slight sweetness. Pours a dark dark red brown color with a small tan head that dispates quickly. Tastes slightly of raisin, yeast darker fruit and also a nice cream feel that has chocolate and coffee in it. So far my favorite beer yet

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
patrickfannon (1236) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 12, 2009
Bottle. 25.4 oz. Split with James. Pours murky borwn, with a thin, pungent beige head. Aroma of rasiins, malts, sweet fruits, chesnuts, and hints of clove and vanilla. Full body with a cleverly smooth finish. Outrageous Belgian strong.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
arondee (545) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - APR 26, 2010
16oz tap from the "Tap Room" in San Diego. Poured jet black with zero head and very little carbonation or lacing. Aromas are dark cherries, bitter dark chocolate, and roasted malts. Taste is almost perfect, like a drinkable dessert, cherries, malts, coffee, dark chocolate, and of coarse some alcohol. The alcohol is very well hidden. I was blown away by this beer on tap, I’d love to get my hands on a bottle to share with some friends.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 1, 2010
Not quite black, but a deep enough brown to border on black stares at me from his lofty perch. A generous dark khaki head lazes around while tracing soft trails of lacey foam. I’ve had a few Lost Abbey beers, but this is my first draft Lost Abbey so my excitement level is extra high. Plums, raisins, prunes, licorice root, vanilla root, and root beer esters seduce my senses and gently assail my nose. How delightful she is. Furthering her luxurious prowess are over-ripe black cherries about to burst, releasing their sweet and dark juices while in the back lurks a forest of ancient dark woods. Mm! Mm! Mm! Right away I know her to be a long sipper because her nose is heavy indeed and as I take my first quaff, so too is her body. Heavy, rich, and her body fills my mouth with the weight of her bounty. My first flavor experience is a surprise considering I detected no cranberries whatsoever in her nose, but there they are in her palate. Bright and ready, whole cranberries wake up my tastebuds with a magical interplay of tart and sweet. Coming in fast and heavy is black bark, brewer’s licorice, black strap molasses, and more licorice. Each quaff is full, heavy, and rich without overpowering. The brewer’s licorice and black strap molasses melt together in exquisite harmony while figs, dates, and raisins drift along their constant current. Warmth is already working her way through my throat and into my chest while cinnamon sticks and more black bark linger in my breath. I’m not sure what goes into root beer to give it that particular flavor, but fleeting in and out of her palate is a heavy, almost concentrated essence of root beer without the sugary sweetness. Burnt sugars coat my lips already heavy with black strap and brewer’s licorice while dark pitted fruits and black cherries fill the middle of each sup. Slowly but surely as my 10 Commandments achieve optimum tasting temperature, time creeps slowly on by. Without even realizing it, an easy hour of my lazy afternoon has passed, but I couldn’t think of a better way to spend it.

Lost Abbey brews good beer. I’m not going to bother with the over-carbonated/under-carbonated debate that taints their online forum presence, and sometimes for good reason. Instead, what I do know is the 10 Commandments I savored at The Publican in Chicago, IL was truly momentous. Whenever I look at the Lost Abbey chalice in my cabinet, I will always remember the very first beer with which she was filled and cherished.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
THORtheVIKING (5) - Longyearbyen, NORWAY - APR 3, 2011 does not count
Amazing taste and strong raisin and graham flavors. Dark pour with swirls of light brown nature. Das über! Enjoyed at lost abbey brew pub with pwn3d.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
falha (59) - - JUL 5, 2012
nose: liquorize, belgian ale, sour raisin, dark christmas bread, sweet melon, taste: sweet , warm, raisin, strong wine, plum. Thick foam ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
iggynelix (68) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 16, 2013
Tap sampler. Love this brew. Barely opaque but still deep amber on color. Thin head that laces the glass. Rich aromas of citrus, caramel, and spices but a finish like a Christmas ale. Yum. Love my BSDAs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 26, 2007
RFD Pizza Port/Port/Lost Abbey tastin 6/20 - I forgot to take notes on this beer beacuse it was so good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pailhead (4622) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - AUG 2, 2007
Courtesy of BBB63

The aroma consists of caramel, chocolate, plum, raisin, and moderate alcohol. It pours a muddy orangish-brown with a small tightly bubbled beige head. The flavor starts with chocolate, plum, and raisin with some faint smokiness in the background. It finishes somewhat sweet with notes of candi sugar, light spice, and faint alcohol. Looks like I dig this more than most.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ajm (1065) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 1, 2008
Yeah, man. This sauce is boss. A great balance of swimming raisins, dark cherry, molasses and smoke. As strong as it is, a very great everyday beer.