overall

RATINGS: 175   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Late in November of 2011, Mike Rodriguez our head brewer asked about creating a Coffee and Cacoa Nib version of Serpent’s Stout for the San Diego Strong Ale Festival. The beer was a hit with our fans. When we wrote up the syllabus for the Ultimate Box Set, we knew a version of this beer would be included. We waited until the very end of the release schedule to put this beer in a bottle so that the coffee and cacoa nibs really come through. Four Bourbon barrels were selected for their rich and dense chocolate flavors. One week before packaging, we added 17 lbs of Ryan Brothers Coffee and 4 lbs of TCHO Cacao Nibs were added to the coffee and cacao to steep before packaging.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mep3222 (796) - East Greenbush, New York, USA - MAY 20, 2015
Very nice authentic bourbon aroma and nice cocoa roasted malt flavors. Taste is full Flavored bourbon coffee bourbon stout. Quite good. Smooth balanced and amazing. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
markextrae (1847) - NETHERLANDS - MAY 14, 2015
bottle shared with a friend. bought at saveur biere. this came out of nowhere.. poured a pitch black colour with a small beige ring on top. nose of darkest roasted malt, milk chocolate, raisins, oak, vanilla, sweet bourbon, campfire. dark espresso beans. lots of fudge. cacao. spiced booze finish. full bodied beer.

Prufrockstar (1386) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 13, 2015
Draft at brouwers. Thick viscous black with a mountain of mocha head (though that may have been because I blew the keg). Chocolate espresso silky vanilla you know the barrel aged imperial stout drill. Smooth, tasty, good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BOSSbrewer (2507) - Arkansas, USA - MAY 10, 2015
On tap at the source. Pours dark brown with minimal head. Aroma is dark fruits and chocolate. Flavor follows. Fairly sweet. Cherries and berries. And lots of chocolate. Super nice. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lightbias (261) - USA - MAY 6, 2015
I’ve had this once before and I’m already aware of how much I like it. Now is my chance to describe the experience. Pulling the cage and popping the cork is always a bit of fun, and this time was no different. A cat scatter-er every time. The aroma is roasted cocoa and dark, overripe, fleshy cherries heavily saturated in bourbon. The tang of coffee seems only an accent to the blended harmony peaking my curiosity, and the olfactory experience is already twice my memory of it. The pour is phenomenal; a rich, coffee hue with a dense milk chocolate foam ready to get the hell out of your way, but happy to reaffirm its depth with just a bit of a tease from the glass. In tipping for my initial taste, the aroma has a presence of its own, and is heavy enough to fall out of the glass and across my cheeks, intensifying the nose; the brew, rich and creamy on my tongue. The sip is equivalent to the first sip of any really good spirit, sending a rush of goose bumps over the back of my neck, down my spine, and over my thighs. Holy cow, this is better with age. I know I don’t remember this, because I would remember this. The body is heavy, the taste sweet and hot, I’m finding the coffee now, especially as I breathe out, but deeper into the brew and at a higher temperature. Less enjoyable at 64 degrees, and my absolute favorite at 53, so I pull the remaining beer from the cooler to add to the warmer stuff in my glass. Damn fine beer, damn intense experience. Yes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SudsMcDuff (6639) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - MAY 5, 2015
I thought this was really good, which surprised me a lot, because lost abbey is a brewery that is slowly going obsolete.. . Dark plum black .. Mild foam .. Light roast, tar, petrol and easy barrel .. Mild mouth and finish .. I enjoyed my glass but nothing I’d seek out again .. . Whoever programmed the iPhone dictionary might be the stupidest duckin person ever..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zakoon (185) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 26, 2015
375ml bottle enjoyed @ home. Pours really dark brown with a nice creamy brown head. Aroma is espresso, dark chocolate, roasted malt, liquorice, dark dried fruits, bourbon and wood. Flavour is medium bitter. Full bodied, creamy texture, soft carbonation. Finish is long and with a lot of coffee, dark chocolate and alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
asceticbrewer (69) - Arizona, USA - APR 24, 2015
Pours a deep dark brown with chocolate colored head. Aroma is alcohol, oak, and chocolate. Taste is coffee, chocolate, bourbon, oak. Slightly sticky texture.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DocLock (8376) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 24, 2015
16.9 oz cc bottle from Capone’s. Pours dark blackish with no head. Huge oak, bourbon, cognac, cacao, walnut. Tastes spirity, with oak, bourbon, cacao, dark malt. Dense and hot finish.

mathieuc (1951) - Québec, Quebec, CANADA - APR 22, 2015
On tap at Lord Hobo. Pours a really dark brown with no head except for a small rim that leaves some lacing. Nose is of roasted malt, chocolate, coconut and vanilla. Dessert-like. Taste is lightly boozy and full of dark chocolate, caramel and coconut. Body is full and carbonation moderately low, a rich sipper. Overall a really nice dessert beer, alcohol doesn’t show too much at all.