overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 354   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.17   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Youíve made it to 547 Haight Street. This destination is more San Francisco than Rice A Roni, Chinatown, and Lombard Street combined. Welcome to Broadway for brewers everywhere. Everyone who is anyone has poured their kegs here. For the last 20 years, this place has launched careers, confirmed legacies, and since 1987 the only name you need to know is David Keene. Take a seat. Tip Strong. Nod appreciatively and donít ask stupid questions. Welcome to Big Daddyís House known to most simply as "The T-Room." Here the bartenders are fluent in English, German, Flemish, French, Waloon and Czech. But theyíre most known for their American Lip Service. Watch it. The lady with the jet black hair behind the bar eats idiots for lunch. At 547 Haight Street, you wonít find any Cable Cars except for this one. But if youíre standing outside the Dutch Doors of the World Famous Toranado, you surely found the most interesting place in all San Francisco. Itsí about RESPECT. Dave you continue to have ours. Hereís to 20 more years of punishing livers everywhere. Cheers Gina, Jim, Tomme, Vince and the Brewers of Port Brewing

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hapjydeuce (938) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 27, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2008 I managed to get a bottle at the Toronado grand opening in San Diego on May 24. Firstly, a MAJOR thanks to wetherel for calling me and letting me know that a few bottles were in the cooler for sale. I wasnít planning on driving down from Carlsbad until I got that voicemail. Split the cost with Katie, we couldnít believe that more people werenít buying them up. Just pure craziness to have two bottles of this rarity side by side as we drank with wetherel and alohaC at the bar. Itís pants-creaming good. Hazy dark yellow color with medium white bubbles and swirls. Rich and rounded oak wood aroma with wet hay, lemon and biscuit tones with barnyard funk. All flavor components blend together amazingly well. Some citrus and light toast up front, with lighter barrel tones and brett acidity on the finish. Perfect amount of tartness, drinking multiple glasses was no problem. Slightly dry and a wonderful body. My first thought before I poured it was not to overrate due to hype, but all of my expectations were met. Flat out an incredible ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Oakes (12551) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 26, 2008
Hazy yellow-beige. Lightly cheesy nose with light fruit and a hint of yoghurt. Tastes like a new pair of Adidas, lots of tartness on the tongue, a splash of yeasty character and a little bit of fruitiness. Good balance - itís a nice beer but itís no Proximus.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - MAY 25, 2008
At the Toronado grand opening party, they had some bottles for sale. It was surreal. I wasnít really sure if I was looking at them, and if they were really for sale. I asked a couple of people how much they cost, and they were guessing $60-$100, cash only. I had $40, so I unpatiently waited to see someone who I knew who might chip in. I asked how much, and it was only $50, so I asked the guy sitting next to me (turned out to be carnevoodoo, from BA) if he would chip in $10. He said yes, and also bought a pint of Abyss for me. Thanks Derrick! Wow. So now I have a huge bottle of cable car sitting in front of me. When you are used to small tasters, glass after glass of a super rare beer is almost indescribably awesome experience. There was even enough to give large samples to the John, Christian, the bartender, etc. I even finished the last sample from the bottle. Oh the horror! Yellow amber color. Mild sour aroma. Maybe a hint of acetic acid. Flavor is delicious and the sourness is mellow and insanely easy to drink. Perfect palate. It would be wonderfully easy to drink in large quantities with meals. Not as sour as a gueuze. The sourness reminds me of orangina, even though they are nothing alike. Delicious!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - APR 20, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2008 Bottle shared among friends at Dr. Billís, thanks again Doc... As for the beer, subtle is an understatement. This beer takes delicate to a whole new level, but if you give it enough attention, great flavors present them self. Awesome but subtle acidity, light lemon rind tartness, and just an elegant presentation of light funk and citrus sweetness. When compared to the true gueuzes, this falls short as itís not as bright, funky, or consuming as the Cantillon/3F lambics, but Cable Car is very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - APR 20, 2008
Thanks to cquiroga and Dr. Bill for sharing. This pours a bright yellow with a white head. If sour is your thing, this is it. lots of fruity sourness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - APR 5, 2008
UPDATED: APR 25, 2009 5th Beer of the Beer Spot Tasting Sunday March 30th, 2008. Bottle provided by KingG, many thanks Joey. Iíve wanted to try this for so long and Iíve got to say it was damn good. Pours orange/yellow with a bright white ring. Nose is huge and sour with a fruity grapefruit feeling. Taste is big on the citrus and grapefruit particularly. Its sour but refined with a fruit up front feeling and sour on the back end. Very mellow, very good, a mellow tasty sipper. Really very nice good, fruity sour.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - MAR 24, 2008
Amazing brew from Tomme and also thanks to Christian. The appearance wasnít important to me, I do know what it looked like but the nose coming from the glass as I held it to my nose made me almost forget where I was and what was going on around my even thoí I was in the midst of the din from the brewery and the bar tasting area. I just could not get that darn glass away from my nose. Sour green apples but so much more. The funk, ahhh, the funk. I savored this and sipped it for a long time and I was actually sad when the glass was empty but felt very gratefull when I heard Tomme say that it was the best brew he has ever done. Simply an amazing brew.Thanks again to Tomme and to you Christian for a great evening.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Stine (1572) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 8, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2008 Poured from a 750 ml bottle, thanks to Zac. Murky, glowing orange pour with a thin white film. Wild, pungent, noxious aroma of compost, molded grass, wet carpet, quickly giving way to a pithy fruitiness of mango skins, white grapes, and pears. Lots of mineral like tartness, wallpaper glue and quiet earthiness that brings some maple and honey sugars. Unique and reserved, with broad character. Flavor is slightly quiet, but not tepid; white grape notes of buttery Chardonnay and earthy Sauvignon Blanc, with hints of floral honey, apples, and pineapple. Crisp and intricate, but still robust. Plenty of lactic, slightly sweet oak that provides a perfectly played counterpoint to the already well-bridled tartness. Tea leaves, white pepper, and lots of honey and milk in the mid palate. Palate is velvety, slightly chewy, and soft; finishes with a bright pineapple and guava sweetness, very tropical, rubbing away with a funky dust of irish white cheddar settling on the back of the tongue. A brilliantly balanced sour; acidic and lactic, smartly sour, and rounded with the right presence of sweetness. Highly complex and very sophisticated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tyler_mn (1475) - SLP, Minnesota, USA - MAR 8, 2008
750ml bottle shared with hellomynameis and stine. Plenty of funk on the nose. Aged cheese. Some gueuze funk. White grape skin. Definite tartness. A touch of barnyard funk, but more tart than funky. Loads of wild yeast tartness. Pours bright, hazy gold with virtually no head to speak of. Almost still looking. Tart, sour and very pleasant on the tongue. Slightly minerally and gravelly almost along the lines of a Sauvignon Blanc. A light malt base behind the cheesy funk. Very lengthy tart and cheesy finish. Lush and creamy on the tongue without being overbearing. Quite nice. Thanks a ton Zac!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - MAR 8, 2008
Straw coloured and a little bit murky with a thin ring of white head. Aroma is funk and sour with some grainy grassy field. My god there is a ton going on in the flavour. I honestly am not even sure what to say, sour all over with a lot of mustyness and funk. Very much a sour beer with some feelings of other styles going on with a long dry white wine like finish.