overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 371   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.17   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
You’ve made it to 547 Haight Street. This destination is more San Francisco than Rice A Roni, Chinatown, and Lombard Street combined. Welcome to Broadway for brewers everywhere. Everyone who is anyone has poured their kegs here. For the last 20 years, this place has launched careers, confirmed legacies, and since 1987 the only name you need to know is David Keene. Take a seat. Tip Strong. Nod appreciatively and don’t ask stupid questions. Welcome to Big Daddy’s House known to most simply as "The T-Room." Here the bartenders are fluent in English, German, Flemish, French, Waloon and Czech. But they’re most known for their American Lip Service. Watch it. The lady with the jet black hair behind the bar eats idiots for lunch. At 547 Haight Street, you won’t find any Cable Cars except for this one. But if you’re standing outside the Dutch Doors of the World Famous Toranado, you surely found the most interesting place in all San Francisco. Its’ about RESPECT. Dave you continue to have ours. Here’s to 20 more years of punishing livers everywhere. Cheers Gina, Jim, Tomme, Vince and the Brewers of Port Brewing

Clownoisseur (264) - Buchanan, Michigan, USA - DEC 17, 2014
HUGE thanks to bytemesis for sending me this bottle. Thanks Mike! This 2013 vintage bottle was shared with my new fiancé after I proposed to her, only minutes prior, while we were out on a walk through our woods! I had it all planned out: She was dropping her brother off at the train station and I was chilling this beer, getting the ring positioned in my pocket...and of course, calling her father and asking his blessing. (Which he gave me!) After she returned home, I suggested that we take a walk with our dog around the property. We often take walks, so this wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. Even as I began to discuss the ideas I had for our wedding, she didn’t suspect a thing. We have had this discussion many times as well. By the time we made it through our ravine to the spot where we want to have the ceremony. I dropped to my knee and presented THE RING and popped THE BIG QUESTION........she said yes, of course!! After some private moments **think Princess Bride mega-kiss**, we returned inside to have a toast! This beer was perfect in every way for the occasion. It felt good to pop the cork in celebration! Aromas of Brett-tinged oak gave a nice and dry funk followed by light lemon peel, green apple, brie, hay and a slight hint of blue cheese. As I let the aromas waft out of the bottle and I poured this beauty into 2 New Glarus glasses for sharing, the memories of our 4.5 year relationship came flooding back. This reminded me of how I turned Kacye on to Sour/Wild Ales.....literally creating a sour-freak....and a conundrum of not being able to open them without her there! It made me smile....looking into her eyes....it was hard to hold back the tears of joy! A gorgeous golden ale, slightly hazy yet vibrant..... a white-as-snow head that gently pillowed up the glass before settling into a nice ring around the glass with some spotty lacing. A medium carbonation gives this beer life. Dances nicely. The taste was incredibly fulfilling. Balanced. Solid. Steady. Relentless. The tart pucker was coupled nicely with a dry, oaky funk. Beautiful. Notes of under-ripe fruits....green apple, lemon, white grape....it pushed a nice light undertone across the palate, elating the senses. So elegant. Notes of brie and hay lend to a quick malted sweetness that melds into another dose of deep funk. Notes of cheese and barnyard. Love it. The finish pushes with the medium carbonation, nice and lively...never fizzy. Dry vinous notes, couple with the oak, funk and additional sour note that culminates this beauty of a beer. Such a magical day, such a magical beer.....I don’t think I have ever felt Cloud 9 until now. I am looking forward to sharing many more beers with Kacye.....I am just not sure how we can top this one!! And so, the challenge begins......

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 5, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2010 ~RBSG ’08~

Big tasting at Lost Abbey. Pours a light golden caramel pour, with small head and virtually no lacing. Very sour nose, apple pie, oats and hay. Delightful. Dry, sour flavors. Huge toasted malt finish. Hops are subdued but balance it out well. Just very tasty. Very smooth and dry, crisp. Hope to see this again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2013
Damned near perfect. So sour, and purposefully so I realize, but overwhelmingly at times. Otherwise, pure magic in a bottle. Very thankful to the bartender who went out of his way to try and hook me up with this bottle which for awhile didn’t seem like it was going to happen. Funk, apples, lemon, sourness all in the nose. Apples seemed to take over in the flavor department. So good.

RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 27, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2009 Bottle of the ’08. I have finally bestowed a 5: this beer is epic. It’s like the beer version of Krug champagne. Oak and cherry wood swirl with funk and sour aromas and flavors. Astoundingly complex, yet I feel like I could tackle an entire bottle by myself with its superior drinkability. Addendum: And with the ’09 I have retracted it. This years seems to have gotten a wee bit too much oak for my tastes, as the vanilla takes it over a bit, but it is still absolutely world class.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
HighWine (954) - Whalezbro, Illinois, USA - OCT 1, 2008
This is an amazing beer. I am not a big sour ale guy but this one looked so good at Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Celebration that I took a chance. Remarkable. I still kick myself for not buying several bottles to take home.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
thickfreakness (132) - AUSTIN, Texas, USA - OCT 8, 2008
Thanks to cloudskipper for this Batch 2 bottle. Shared with bgramer last night. Pours bubbly hazy yellow with a small layer of foam on top. Aroma begins with green apples, lemon and barnyard; pineapple, wood, light banana, cobweb; musty and more funky as it warmed up. Flavor was lots of green apple, tart grapes, lemon, subtle funk at beginning; slight oaky tannins, banana, and a slight alcohol bite as it warmed; slight corn in after taste. As it got completely to room temp it was like juicy ripe pineapple and got more sweet overall. It coats the mouth with tingly bubbles and leaves a lasting impression on the palate. I absolutely loved this one; it had so many layers and subtle flavors/smells.

brewolf (169) - Wilderness, WA, USA, - OCT 5, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2009 Funky, with dusty lemons and worn burlap in the nose. There is even a hint of sweet-cream butter and biscuits amidst all those ’cobwebs’. Beautiful pour ... pretty as a translucent peach ... with a thin and persistent cloud-soft head. Sour apricots and bright citrus fruit are layered with notes of oaky, buttery chardonnay and green moss. Great body, and the finish is just long enough to let you ’wonder’ for a moment before you are compelled to take another sip. An absolute treasure.

ksurkin (1021) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - OCT 24, 2010
750ml, corked & caged bottle, 2010 edition crushed at Toronado in SD in a Duvel tulip. finally had the means and opportunity to enjoy this amazing brew and it was worth every penny. pours a beautiful, clear, light, yellow-gold with a thick, creamy, bright white head and sticky rings of lace. aroma is simply outstanding with a masterful balance of sweet and tart fruit notes of apricot, blackberry, lemons, and white grapes with big, funky brett, barnyard grass, and light oak in the background with notes of blueberry jam and peach skins as it warmed. flavor is just short of perfect with huge, tart fruit notes of apricot, blackberry, bluberries, green apple skins, and lemons backed by sour, vinous grapes, a touch of vinegar, and dry funky brett with light, sweet notes of pie crust and yeast on the back end. palate is perfectly lively and refreshing yet punishingly sour at the same time with great carbonation and a bone dry, fruity finish. overall, just an amazing beer that i’m honored to have tried.

patrickfannon (1241) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2011
Bottle. 25.4 oz. Split with James and Dallas. Huge thank you to James for busting out this rare beauty in honor of his last day in Philadelphia and Medford. The pour is a semi-flourescent soft transparent with an initially smooth, bubbly, fluffy, one-finger off-white head. Aroma of sour lemon zest, salty cheese rind, soft tannins, leather, soap suds, lavender, Sharpie marker, honey, freshly cut wheat, and dry aromatic bitter hops. Medium bodied with a thin, tea-like, cuttingly sharp, crispyly dry mouthfeel. Mouthwatering sourness in this brew. FInishes with a superbly biting, lactic sourness and subtle creaminess. Wow. This is a tremendous beer. Well done. Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
magdalar (513) - Zurich, SWITZERLAND - DEC 16, 2011
Bottle at Toronado, 2010 vintage. Pours a clear golden with a white head. Smells wild, with sour cherries and some funk. Tastes of a medium sour tartness, and flavors I can?t begin to describe. Creamy texture. Medium carbonation. Finishes tart. Extremely delicious, though probably not worthy of the steep price ($40 for a 750ml). Glad I went for it though.