overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 354   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.17   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
You’ve made it to 547 Haight Street. This destination is more San Francisco than Rice A Roni, Chinatown, and Lombard Street combined. Welcome to Broadway for brewers everywhere. Everyone who is anyone has poured their kegs here. For the last 20 years, this place has launched careers, confirmed legacies, and since 1987 the only name you need to know is David Keene. Take a seat. Tip Strong. Nod appreciatively and don’t ask stupid questions. Welcome to Big Daddy’s House known to most simply as "The T-Room." Here the bartenders are fluent in English, German, Flemish, French, Waloon and Czech. But they’re most known for their American Lip Service. Watch it. The lady with the jet black hair behind the bar eats idiots for lunch. At 547 Haight Street, you won’t find any Cable Cars except for this one. But if you’re standing outside the Dutch Doors of the World Famous Toranado, you surely found the most interesting place in all San Francisco. Its’ about RESPECT. Dave you continue to have ours. Here’s to 20 more years of punishing livers everywhere. Cheers Gina, Jim, Tomme, Vince and the Brewers of Port Brewing

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HonusWagner (1391) - Florida, USA - OCT 9, 2013
The most recent batch is absolutely amazing, really tart but nice stone fruit characters and a good lightly funky character, just awesome.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
jcartamdg (1989) - Spring Hill, Florida, USA - MAY 15, 2014
Pours a deep golden orange with no head. Aroma of peaches, nectarines, oak and funk. Taste is sour, fruity, peaches and nectarines, funk and oak. So tasty so complex.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
egajdzis (5336) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Poured a hazy golden color with a small, off white collar of a hear, that left sparse lacing on the glass. Aroma of cherries, brett, pedio, vanilla, cinnamon, with some stinky feet, cheese, light citrus, and pineapple. Taste of lacto, with some apple, oak, pineapple, citrus fruits, with some vanilla, light toffee, and a dry, sour finish. Thanks to Phatz for sharing this!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopdog (8940) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2007
750ml, corked and caged bottle, shared courtesy of Phatz (thanks!, I guess I owe you my next new born). Poured a medium and lightly hazy (darker haze as we got towards the bottom of the bottle) golden color with a smaller sized off white head. Upon the first whiff, I was greeted with a plethora of incredible aromas that instantly put me in that ‘special’ place in my mind! I could smell this one all day and night long. Aromas of cherries, grapes, apples, funky, brett, light yeast, citrus, and vanilla. All the aromas melded together perfectly. I was also getting a light spiciness, maybe cinnamon. Tastes of tart green apples, citrus, woody, light yeast and vanilla. Light and soft body.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - OCT 14, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 8, 2008 Sampled at the 2007 GABF. This was by far my favorite of the festival. I had several samples.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 14, 2007
I must first thank metallitone1 aka (deftim13) for this spectacular treat. A better man have only walked the earth once, since the beginning of time. Tim you a great man and good friend, and I feel honored to have made your acquaintance. I sure hope Tomme Arthur makes more of this beer. It is worth the price you need to pay whatever that may be. I *love* sour wild ales and this is a masterpiece. This beer is quite different from but as good as “Supplication” [also provided by metallitone1]. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to share this beer with Hopdog, egajdzis, weeare138, froggyfrog, and Risser09. Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with magnificent lacing on the walls of my snifter glass. The head is slightly off white and the carbonation is lively. Smell: It has a huge bold sour cherries and Brettanomyces funky aroma that flood the nose with aged lambic like acidity is that the Pediococcus, I believe. Who cares! It is sensational. The citric rind, apple-cider vinegar woodyness and the plethora of magnificent indescribable aromas left me salivating like a dog. Taste: How could the flavor live up to such a grand aroma? IT DOES! Sourness, abounds with fruits and sweet and tart flavors that run the gamut. Apricot lemon cherry wood and large sour apple with a funky yeast and Lactobacillus presence that gives its spectacular sour attribute. It makes my mouth pucker in pleasure on each and every sip. There is a spice element clinging to my cheeks in the aftertaste, like cinnamon, vanilla and ginger along with the sourness. Each tastes beckons the next. Mouthfeel: The sour sting and the light carbonation a fairly acidic body give this a very lambic-like mouthfeel. Dry and long-lingering. Drinkability: If the Egyptians had it right with their tombs. I want my sarcophagus placed in a conditioning tank full of Cable Car so I can drink it for eternity. Otherwise, I am certain this will be the flavor of my heaven. This is a beer I could drink day and night, if only it were available. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
badlizard (5538) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUN 17, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2008 Bottle from Toronado SD. Clear golden with a fluffy white head. Sour, funk, and cherry aroma with hints of vanilla and oak. Green apple, lemon, white wine taste with notes of creamy vanilla and cherries and a dry finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 28, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2010 750ml bottle (2008 version) from Tornado Bar San Diego. I walked into the bar, saw this bottle staring back at me from the fridge, I didn’t talk to a girl the rest of the night! Pours a slightly hazed straw yellow with very little head to speak of. Big tart and funky aroma with citrus, sour Chard grapes, and some old cheesy funk. Sourness lingers on the palate for what seemed like days, took me about 1 hour to drink one glass! $50, the most I’ve paid for beer (@ a bar) to date....well worth it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
darkguardian (725) - Florida, USA - OCT 18, 2008
22oz bottle for the SATRG. Thanks alot Mark for sending this. Tons of apple and lemon citrus in this nose and the appearance is lighter than I expected. This is no Oud Bruin. Hazy light amber with a small foamy ring. As I mentioned the nose is apple and citrus but also some bananna and clove with some funky cheese and oak. Very complex nose. Flavor is really great, almost as good as the Deviation. Apple, peach, black pepper, vanilla and caramel. Very complex. One of my favorite beers, this was a real treat. It was my friends favorite of the tasting as well.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
pimpp (8) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 20, 2009 does not count
BA review: Anyone that knows me knows that I’ve been trying extraordinarily hard to get a bottle of this. And anyone that has ever let it known that they’ve had a bottle knows this as well. I’ve offered well over $100 worth of very rare beers, many brewery only release and plenty with less than 1000 bottles made. I’ve been drinking beers with Shane(beachbum1975) for the past 8-10months or so. We both trade way more than we should. We’ve always ’unspokenly’ tried to one up one another. Well that mother fucker one upped me to end all one ups... but that doesn’t mean I won’t stop trying :) This bottle was a belated Christmas gift and presented to Chris(Yetiman420), Steve(FtownThrowDown), and Me(and of course Shane), as a blind tasting for my 500th review. That bastard also just traded for a bottle of the beer I was getting him for a belated Christmas gift. What a D-Bag! I honestly cannot express my thanks and gratitude, Shane. This was my Holy Grail beer and now my Lost Abbey bottle collection is finally complete, and what’s a better way to do it than with a Tomme Arthur signed bottle of Cable Car! :D 750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Shared with 3 great BAs. A: Pours a very murky under ripened grapefruit peel color. A decent sized head forms and holds for a minute or so before falling to a few bubbles. Some spotty lacing throughout. S: Loads of tart fruits. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, apricot, pineapple, cherries. Some astringent acids from the fruits adds to the tart and sour aromas. Funk is minimal but still lightly present with a touch of wet hay and maybe some light cider vinegar notes. T/M: The tart and sour fruits are spot on to the nose. Lemon, pineapple, orange are more dominant with cherries and apricot or peach playing more in the back. Really a citrus explosion that is odd in that I normally experience this with loads of bitterness, which this obviously doesn’t have. Funkiness is still at a minimum but still retains the wet hay and light cidery notes. I don’t think it’d hurt to have some more funk. Tartness really starts to build toward puckering as it quickly warms. Some rustic woody and leathery notes form the barrels. Nice light to medium light body with perfect carbonation. Great dry finish that isn’t too tart or abrasive. D: Extraordinarily drinkable. I could drink this all day every day. The tartness and sourness doesn’t linger too strong or long. Very good. Yet again, many thanks to you, Shane. You really made my day and you better watch your back when it’s your turn to be given a milestone beer! And a million thanks to the one that traded this to Shane ;)