overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1090   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Once upon a time it was the most award winning Pizza Port beer of all time. Now it has found a new home at The Lost Abbey. A massive brown ale base that is made from four fermentable sugars including Malted Barley, Raisins, Candi Sugar and Sour Cherries, this beer is fully fermented before being placed in Bourbon barrels where the beer ages for one year with the Sour Cherries and the wild Brettanomyces yeast that we inoculate the barrels with. One of the most complex and unique beers we make each year.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nuffield (4056) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 29, 2005
What an experience popping the cork! It just flowed and flowed, for a bottle that had settled for a long time. This beer was like a game of cat-and-mouse: it was possible to hold one layer of the beer in your mind for a few moments, but once you started thinking about the next layer--none of the layers were hard to pick out--it was difficult to keep the previous one in your mind. The big three layers here are the kriek/sour, the Belgian ale (a quad it seemed?), and the barrel aging. The aroma gave a lot of the barrels in particular, with a bit of whisky and a note that struck me like Grandpa’s cheap cologne (Brut or something like that). The sour cherry edge was found on the palate in particular. Hazy chestnut color, moderate head. This was a beer of brewing brilliance in its complexity; in truth, I enjoyed the Mother of All Beers (the base beer for this one) a bit more--even though the Mother is not the achievement of beer, like a Monet to a Rembrant, I responded a bit more fully to the striking appeal of the single dimensions, rather than the multi-layered quality that was interesting and engaging but toying.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jayb0 (1156) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - JUN 29, 2005
Deep dark red. Complex nose of candy sugar, cherry, apple, malt, wood. Mouth filling, refreshing sourness plays against the malt, dark fruit, apple, raisin, milk chocolate. Oak character comes through in the long finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
radiomgb (2686) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 28, 2005
Bottle. Cloudy cherry in colour. Aroma of sour cherries, wood, earth and vinegar. The flavour was of very sour and tart cherries, very acidic, oaky, plums, woody. Medium body, medium/high carbonation. Finishes was of sour cherries and some alcohol. Fantastic stuff and wonderfully complex. This is something that I will definitely want again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3442) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 23, 2005
Thanks to Vac for both joining us at Noogfest and bringing a small vertical of PP. Bottle # VNV31 I think it was the 2003? I’m not a sour beer fan, but when they are like this one, I can go in that direction. Maybe my palate is beginning to change?? No head over a murky dark brown body. The aroma has some alcohol and a sweet, pipe tobacco pouch aroma. Very sour with cherry coming through nicely as the sourness fades on the tongue. Surprisingly good despite the sourness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - JUN 22, 2005
JohnC and Vac Rock! I have notes for the 03 and 04 Silver foil, the 04 Gold, and though I tried the 05 Black label, no notes for that one. 03 Silver: Huge fruity and lightly sour aroma. Big rich flavors of prunes, plums, raisins, somwhat sour, and a warming alcohol pressence. The 04 silver was similar, except I noted that it seemed a little more sour, and the flavors seemed a little ’out of focus’. Maybe I was out of focus at this point. The 04 Gold was a lot less tart than either Silver, with more apples and raspberries coming through. Gonna have to average my numbers here for the three beers I have ratings for.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
heemer77 (5290) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 21, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2005 Thanks to both JohnC and Vac. i was fortunate enough to try 4 at the Nooga. For silver foil 2003. Aroma of sour cherries, and red wine. Also brown sugar and maple. The taste is lightly sour vinous. There is also oak and pears. The body poured dark brown and red. For silver foil 2004. Aroma of brown sugar, flowers, maple and cherries. The taste was tart cherries, vinegar and a little grass. Also apple core. For 2004 gold label. Dark amber body. The aroma of sour cherries, honey, flowers and maple. The taste was sour cherries and apples with some tart cheese. 2005 Black Label. Brown and red body. Aroam of sweet apples, flowers and cinnamon. Taste of sour apples, cinnamon and high quality tobacco. There is also a little barnyard character.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
JFURYCAT (1079) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2005
I don’t know where to start with this delightful beer. The aroma seemed both fruity and malty with a chocolatey bitter finish. the alcohol content was definately noted by taste and there was some sourness to it. The oak barrel tones definately came out and the woodiness was there.

brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2005
A very unique experience. I had no idea what I was in for when I started to try these various years and foils. It was most memorable. To begin, I was first given a sample of 2003 silver foil. Poured a deep brown with brick red hints. Very dark and opaque. The aroma was tart with deep fruit (I noted plum and fermented grapes). The flavor was sour and tart. Very crisp with lots of fruit (lemon, peach, and grapes). A veritable fruit cocktail. The body, as I’ve stated, was quite crisp. This is the one I rated at 4.1.

Next up was the 2004 Silver. This one poured a bit hazier and more brick red than the previous year. The aroma had some chalky tartness, and a swear I smelled some brine hiding in there. The flavor of this was even more intensely sour and tart than the 2003 (not surprising I guess). Again, I noted many fruit flavors. This time I noted Lemon, pear and grape. Full of fruit. The body was light and crisp. Jen said it was deliciously fruity. Full of berries, white peach, nectarine, and green fruit. Lastly she noted a hint of cherry. I only rated this at about a 3.9, though my wife would likely have given it another 4-4.1 at least.

I should have rated the gold foil but I was too far gone. Maybe some day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Suttree (6052) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 20, 2005
Rating for 03 (Silver foil). Brown with red highlights. Big aroma of cherry and red wine. Nicely melded flavors of red wine, cherry, plus some woodsy flavors, too. and some hnts of rasin and prune. Statys nicely sour throughout. This, to me was the standout from the Noogfest. It may not get my highest rating, but it certainly the most memorable and I’d love to get whole bottle to sip and contemplate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Shag (2837) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - JUN 19, 2005
Hell yes! Rating #1000. I thought I would never get there. Well anyways the aroma is cherries, raisins, and alcohol. The flavor is very sour and sweet at the same time with a lambic like quality to the flavor. A doughy presence with some white grapes, raisins, cherries, and slight whiskey background. I loved the stuff.