overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 820   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent. Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart. The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - MAR 15, 2008
Big thanks to Degarth for sharing this! Pours a light amber color, with a light white swiryl head. Smells of explosive sweet tart fruits, and sour tannins. Malts and sweet grapes are there for some support. Delicious smelling. The flavor is much of the same. Had some good sourness, but not overwhelming, very pleasant with its blend of fruits and malts. Some sweet caramel comes in towards the finish, and ends tart and sweet. Pretty good balance for a sour beer. Very good recipe. Enjoyed it alot. Thanks Joe!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Arayaga2 (1769) - portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 14, 2008
Distinctly tart and funky aroma and taste are easily shocking to the unprepared. Taste is sour with earthy undertones, cherry pit nuttiness and weird band-aid flavors. Not my favorite genre of beverage, but certainly a solid example thereof.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
patrick767 (3536) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 10, 2008
375ml bottle - I took a bottle to a tasting and sampled it, but tonight I had my other bottle to myself. It pours a murky reddish brown with a very thin head. There’s a LOT of yeast on the bottom of this one. I thought I was pouring slowly but still ended up with big yeast flakes. Not that I mind, but it was a bit much when I actually plucked a huge glob of yeast off the top of the liquid in my glass. It looked good until that happened in the 2nd half of my pour. Anyway, it smells of wild yeast and tart cherries. The flavor is led by that wild yeast with some malt presence and quite mild cherries. There’s a hint of oak character that I noticed mostly in the finish. I actually found the body just a little on the watery side even after letting it warm. It finishes dry. Is it good? Yep. Is it $15 per 375ml bottle good (that was at the brewery)? No, I’m afraid not. Maybe I should have aged it for a few years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SDalkoholic (2141) - Linda Vista, California, USA - MAR 9, 2008
12.7 oz bottle from South Bay Drugs & Liquor. Thanx to Joey for breaking a bottle out for me. This poppy ale poured as a dirty opaque brown that had a soft pillow of head. As for the aroma, I found a presence of malt and a minimal amount of cherry but enough to hint to the fact there really is added cherry. The flavor is particularly tart and sour with a thin and low profile of cherry. From what I do taste, I would guess the cherry used was a freshly picked and unripe red cherry with a fat hard seed inside. I’m just glad I had a chance to give this a taste and experience another Lost Abbey release.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
bleeng (1499) - Houston nowhere near Beersel, Texas, USA - MAR 8, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2009 Thank you Sinners Club. 2008 375 bottle. Pours out thick and viscous. Small bright white head. Nose is chewy, sour and tart with medium carbonation. Beautiful ruby red color. Taste is totally sour, bitter and tart. Cherry flavor predominant. Quaffable and smooth drinking with aging this bottle helping out on overall taste, palate and finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 7, 2008
Sinners release. Man, can we talk about how friggin’ hot the bottle is? Gorgeous design, handsome and sleek. A more dusty brown pour than I was expecting, with abundant carbonation and a lovely (and subtle!!) dark cherry scent. Faintest trace of citrus rind too, and that’s your hint that you are about to enjoy an exquisitely dry sour ale, with some of the finer qualities of a good geuze and a rich sour. The oaking seems understated to me, possibly because of the beer’s relative youth (even though the 6 months makes me question my analysis), but I favor this. Just superb!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1775) - Bakersfield, California, USA - MAR 5, 2008
(sinners release)deep dark brown with an orange tint.small off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass.funky aroma of sour cherries,oak,brett,and caramel malts.flavor is real upfront with the brett.horse blankett.with the cherries and oak in the background.very nice,although i would have liked a bit more cherries in the flavor.(ADDITIONAL COMMENTS AFTER FINISHING BOTTLE)seems like as it warmed the cherries and oak came out a bit mroe in the flavor.this is very nice indeed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopdog (8823) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Bottle. Poured a medium and slightly hazy amberish color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of cherries, wood, some funkiness, leather, and caramel. Tastes of wood, cherries, fruity, and lightly funky. Lighter sour and tart finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
egajdzis (5277) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Poured a hazy red brown color with a small, off white head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of Brett C. spicy, lightly horsey, cherries, nuts, and wood. Taste was sour cherries, some nuts, wood, and a bit of toffee sweetness, with a lengthy sour cherry finish. I remember the old Woody Brune being much more vibrant.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
jsquire (3402) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - MAR 4, 2008
Don’t hate me. I think that people need to be warned about sour beers. Without all opinions, I believe a beer does get over-rated. This beer was a muddy golden color with very little head. The nose had all the moldy wet hay barnyard funk that I must be getting used too since I didn’t react as badly as I usually do. I can taste the sour cherries and I can see how sour beer fans would really like this, but I just get the impression that someone left the orange juice on the radiator too long. Sour beers are not for everyone, and I think people should be warned. Thanks to Patrick for sharing this bottle, even knowing my tendencies.