overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 825   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent. Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart. The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 7, 2008
Sinners release. Man, can we talk about how frigginí hot the bottle is? Gorgeous design, handsome and sleek. A more dusty brown pour than I was expecting, with abundant carbonation and a lovely (and subtle!!) dark cherry scent. Faintest trace of citrus rind too, and thatís your hint that you are about to enjoy an exquisitely dry sour ale, with some of the finer qualities of a good geuze and a rich sour. The oaking seems understated to me, possibly because of the beerís relative youth (even though the 6 months makes me question my analysis), but I favor this. Just superb!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1776) - Bakersfield, California, USA - MAR 5, 2008
(sinners release)deep dark brown with an orange tint.small off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass.funky aroma of sour cherries,oak,brett,and caramel malts.flavor is real upfront with the brett.horse blankett.with the cherries and oak in the background.very nice,although i would have liked a bit more cherries in the flavor.(ADDITIONAL COMMENTS AFTER FINISHING BOTTLE)seems like as it warmed the cherries and oak came out a bit mroe in the flavor.this is very nice indeed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopdog (8940) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Bottle. Poured a medium and slightly hazy amberish color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of cherries, wood, some funkiness, leather, and caramel. Tastes of wood, cherries, fruity, and lightly funky. Lighter sour and tart finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
egajdzis (5336) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Poured a hazy red brown color with a small, off white head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of Brett C. spicy, lightly horsey, cherries, nuts, and wood. Taste was sour cherries, some nuts, wood, and a bit of toffee sweetness, with a lengthy sour cherry finish. I remember the old Woody Brune being much more vibrant.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
jsquire (3468) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - MAR 4, 2008
Donít hate me. I think that people need to be warned about sour beers. Without all opinions, I believe a beer does get over-rated. This beer was a muddy golden color with very little head. The nose had all the moldy wet hay barnyard funk that I must be getting used too since I didnít react as badly as I usually do. I can taste the sour cherries and I can see how sour beer fans would really like this, but I just get the impression that someone left the orange juice on the radiator too long. Sour beers are not for everyone, and I think people should be warned. Thanks to Patrick for sharing this bottle, even knowing my tendencies.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TomDecapolis (4477) - Milton, Delaware, USA - MAR 4, 2008
Much thanks to hopdog for sharing this one. Pours a cloudy brown with reddish/golden notes and a smaller bubbly/creamy off white head. Aroma of sour cherries, horseblanket, barnyard, very intense aroma, some bready nots and funky. Flavor of sour tart cherries, vanilla, pie crust, funky and sour, spicy notes, woody and other fruity notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bdigital (658) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 4, 2008
Bottle: Courtesy of patrick767 at the locals tasting. Huge thanks for bringing this man. Dark amber/brown pour with no head. Wonderful nose on this...some sour, funky cherries, dark malts, yeast and a bit of a pepper note as it warmed. Nicely carbonated, medium-full bodied mouth feel. Funky, tart berries/cherries with a dark malt base and some woodsiness. Iím definitely a fan of this and Iím becoming more of a fan of some sours.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
emacgee (4025) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - MAR 3, 2008
Thanks turd for sharing this one. Pours a murky red with a thin reddish film of a head. The aroma is soft, young sweet cherry, lightly tart and acidic, a bit spicy on the nose. The flavor was sweet and tart cherries, lightly tart and acidic, spicy, mellow, waxy tannins on the side of my mouth. The palate is soft with a smooth carbonation with more waxy tannins. Tastes a little young but still good no doubt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Bartzilla (533) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAR 3, 2008
A friend of mine brought this by and I was pretty excited seeing I donít belong to the special beer clubs or go to the costume parties and other events where you can try this. I gotta say, I had my hopes to high. Itís tasty, no doubt, but by no means my favorite of the Port collection. Looks nice in the glass, smells tart, starts tart on the tongue but left a dry, bitter taste that didnít really compliment the rest of the beer. I think the cherries saved this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ratman197 (9824) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - MAR 2, 2008
375 ml corked and caged bottle poured a hazy red with a small lingering ring of amber foam. Arom as of cherry. horse blanket, light wood, barnyard and a hint of leather. Palate was light bodied smooth and lightly tart. Flavors of brett, light cherry, barnyard and a hinbt of leather with a smooth lingering tart finish.