overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 818   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent. Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart. The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
emacgee (3963) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - MAR 3, 2008
Thanks turd for sharing this one. Pours a murky red with a thin reddish film of a head. The aroma is soft, young sweet cherry, lightly tart and acidic, a bit spicy on the nose. The flavor was sweet and tart cherries, lightly tart and acidic, spicy, mellow, waxy tannins on the side of my mouth. The palate is soft with a smooth carbonation with more waxy tannins. Tastes a little young but still good no doubt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Bartzilla (532) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAR 3, 2008
A friend of mine brought this by and I was pretty excited seeing I don’t belong to the special beer clubs or go to the costume parties and other events where you can try this. I gotta say, I had my hopes to high. It’s tasty, no doubt, but by no means my favorite of the Port collection. Looks nice in the glass, smells tart, starts tart on the tongue but left a dry, bitter taste that didn’t really compliment the rest of the beer. I think the cherries saved this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ratman197 (9506) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - MAR 2, 2008
375 ml corked and caged bottle poured a hazy red with a small lingering ring of amber foam. Arom as of cherry. horse blanket, light wood, barnyard and a hint of leather. Palate was light bodied smooth and lightly tart. Flavors of brett, light cherry, barnyard and a hinbt of leather with a smooth lingering tart finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 2, 2008
Bottle huge massive thanks to cgarviewuk. Aroma is tart sour apples and cherry, really good sour ale character, funk near lambic. Taste is similar, the nearest to lambic without being lambic iv ever had, sour yet balanced and fruity character really nice like unfaultable, exstremly well made and perhaps a kick in the ass to belgiun brewerys to step it up somewhat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cgarvieuk (14006) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAR 2, 2008
Bottle at home ... With Royce and Tom ... thanks to Dough77 for this THROW IN deep brown ... woody tart ... fruity smooth not too sour ... little woody ... for a sour ale im quite impressed... good body ... and really interesting

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RoyceH (1196) - Hesperange, LUXEMBOURG - MAR 2, 2008
Bottle thanks to cgarvieuk’s sunday sojourn. Dark reddy brown with a thin film head. Nose is sour and tart berries and some vinegary sourness. Mouth is a little smoother but with a sour edge of vinegar and some fruity characteristics. Plenty of woody smoothness in the palate, and just quenching and moreish. Fanastic.

Ibrew2or3 (6779) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAR 2, 2008
Pours murky brown with little white floaties and lasting tan head. Big aroma of tart balsamic vinegar mixed with tart cherry fruitiness and a background of oak. Near the end of a big draw I get a dose of green apples. The taste begins with a mild pulse of sweetness quickly followed by balsamic vinegar tartness. Midway the cherry fruitiness and tartness enters along with a couple planks of oak. The oakiness grows some into the finish create a pleasing confluence of flavor notes. I also notice the balsamic vinegar tartness is pretty much there in the flavor from the start to the finish and into the after taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TURDFERGUSON (3945) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 29, 2008
Bottle, from the Sinners deal shared with Ethan several nights ago. This was a tasty brew and just the right thing to start off my week. Nose and flavor were full of cherries--cherry pie, sour cherries, vinegar and cherries, and oak infused cherries. People have been comparing this a lot to Le Woody Brune (which I haven’t had) and RR Supplication (which I have had several times). It’s not quite as tart and sour as the supplication, but I wouldn’t say that it detracts from this beer’s enjoyment. A tasty beer that I will try to cellar as long as I can. Probably won’t last that long. Thanks Tomme!

gotbeach (139) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 29, 2008
The bottle and tap. Pours dark red with a diminishing head and a bit of chunky yeast. Sweet and sour with spice, fruit, and brett coming through this complex brew. Looking forward to trying this again in a year or two...if I can wait that long.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Quake1028 (633) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 27, 2008
Rating #500!!!

From the Sinners club. 4 of us split a membership, and are paying a crapload of money to get these beers to Florida, so this better be worth it. Pours out a combo of red and purple, sort of looks like a bruised piece of fleshy citrus fruit. Small head, light brown, about 1/2 finger thick. Some retention and spot lacing. The nose is wonderful, and the best part of this beer. I spent a good 20 minutes smelling it and taking everything in before I ever took a sip. Sour ripe cherries, cherry pie filling, balsamic vinegar, wood and oak notes and some nice earthiness. Tastes very good as well, maybe a bit less enjoyable than the aroma, but we are just picking nits here, and it’s more to do with the fact this smells so damn good than any fault of the flavor. Sour cherry mash, cherry candy and pie filling, oak, musty earth and balsamic vinegar again all make a showing. Not sure if any Brett was used in this beer, because the sourness comes more from the cherries and the vinegar notes to me, but I could be off there. Medium bodied, slightly sticky, clings to the tongue. Average carbonation but overall this is very fun to drink, and very satisying as well. Long finish, full of the cherries and vinegar, and always keeping that earthiness and woody notes. I want more, now.

Awesome beer from one of my two favorite styles. Would love to try this one again with a little age on it, because this can only get better I think. Exceeded my expectations.