overall

RATINGS: 214   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Nearly four years ago, we hired some Angels to work their magic on all manners of oak barrels and beers in our barrel program. As Angels go, theyíre alright. Sometimes they misplace barrels. Other times, theyíre selfish and hide the best barrels. And at least one of these Angels is mischievous from time to time adding grapes to the barrels to see what might happen. Recently, we found some of these "Angels Barrels" which weíd lost over time. After tasting them, we decided to marry some of the barrels together creating a time in a bottle snapshot of some of our favorite Angelís Share barrels. This Grand Cru bottling has been thoughtfully blended to bridge the first batches with our most recent releases. We hope that you, like us and our Angels, find it worthy of the designation Angels Share Grand Cru.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - MAR 7, 2010
Draft at EBF. Pours a mahogany body with an off white head. Maple sweet and bourbon notes and yes you get some brandy vinous tones as well. Dark fruit some light woodiness with a modest oak, chocolate and i felt that the bourbon was domineering. Its really good but the best of the angel share now that iíd have to disagree on, iíd have to put my bet on the 06 Brandy but then again when i reviewed that i had a younger inexperienced palate and the experience was something to remember.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drfabulous (4135) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 6, 2010
Carbonated. Intoxicating aroma of cherry and plumb in the nose. I took a sip and went:OH OH OH OH OH. Strong caramel and chocolate with some tobacco. Very interesting blend. Lots of fruit in the mix. The dark fruits: cherry, plumb, red grape. A very rich taste. Wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zathrus13 (1721) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - MAR 5, 2010
Bottle, thanks, Eric. Pours dark brown. Aroma is fruit, malt, caramel, grapes, and wood. Flavor is fruit, bourbon, brandy, caramel, malt, alcohol, and raisins. Certainly different than the other Angelís Shares, but a worthy addition for sure. Tons of great flavors here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Glouglouburp (6104) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 5, 2010
In short: The ultimate decadent American Barley Wine? Probably.
How: Boston Extreme Beer Fest 2010. Night Of The Barrel session. Two samples
The look: Cloudy dark brown topped by a medium tan head
In long: With the Angelís Share Brandy and Bourbon being so well known I did not take much flavour notes on Grand Cru version. One thing I can say is that I had the original Angelís Share 2006 brandy on multiple occasions (include 2 bottles by myself) and I had the original Angelís Share 2007 bourbon on multiple occasions (1 bottle by myself). I also had all subsequent batches of both the brandy/bourbon versions. The original ones were by all accounts the best ones so far. So I think I know what various Angelís Share can taste like and how great the best vintages were. And I truly believe that this Grand Cru version is superior to any vintages of any version of the Angelís Share Iíve ever had. I never thought the original batches of Angelís Share had much brandy or bourbon flavours. We even did a blind tasting with both original releases and we were unable to tell which one was brandy and which one was bourbon. Yet for some reason with this Grand Cru I picked up BOTH bourbon and brandy notes. The body is as decadent as the original 2006 release. The carbonation was perfectly smooth and not a bit lifeless as in some of the recent vintages. There were fruity notes that I never got from the previous vintages. More complex than any Angelís Shares Iíve had. This might very well be my new favourite decadent American barley wine. This beer is amazing. 2010 is starting great for Tomme Arthur, a brewer I truly admire, he puts out a masterpiece of a beer and the anti-stalking court order heís filed against me has been completed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2010
Now this was a solid beer - better than the 09 Angelís Share I just had for sure. Pours cloudy brown with a thin tan head. More carbonation than the 09 Angelís Share. Caramel, bourbon, wood, and dark fruit in the flavor and aroma. It has a little bit of a sour kick to it, which was great. Very smooth, easy to drink, and very well done. Wow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
StefanSD (2183) - Lakeside, California, USA - MAR 2, 2010
375 ml bottle from the LA brewery. Pours a nearly opaque black color with a small tan head that soon recedes to a fine ring. The aroma is pungent with whiskey, dark fruits, molasses and anise. The flavor delivers in spades with whiskey, leather, licorice. raisins and molasses. The palate is full and smooth with lively carbonation. The finish is long and semi-sweet with lingering dark fruits and whiskey. Overall: Very tasty.

j12601 (6743) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Pouring at EBFís Night of the Barrels. Pours a murky black to brown with a medium tan head. Bourbon, plum, fruit. Light phenols, sweet. Lots of chocolate, bourbon, roast. Lingering fruit and bourbon with some warming alcohol. A bit boozy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheAlum (5833) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - FEB 28, 2010
375 ml bottle from my Sinners Club membership. Poured into a snifter. Pours an opaque murky brownish black, a decent brownish head that that dies to a small film, clinging to the edges, small lacing. Aromas are a wonderful plethora of barrel elements, wet oak in copious amounts, vanilla, the spirits come through with the slight edge to bourbon over brandy, warming, a touch boozy, tannins, with caramel and toffee malt base beneath, a touch of dried dark fruits giving this the English style barleywine flare. A touch of grape does come through, but small and just adds to the dark fruit feel, a touch of marmalade, light bitterness. Big barrel display blend, smooth. Initial is a fuller bodied beer, palate sticker with caramel and toffee malts, brown sugar, light cocoa, dried fruit, coffee beans, and big barrel cutting through the fog, bourbon and brandy from the wet oak, vanilla tannins, a touch of mellow tannin red wine feel on the far backend, but this is very subtle, and the spirit and sturdy malt base are dominant. As it warms, the nose and body give off a touch more red wine, it really is pleasant, a warming brew, boozy but not overly so. Finish is warm, good vanilla, barrel, and cab grape tannins. Sticky sweet, this is a lovely beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sledutah (5022) - Utah, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Bottle from Footbalm and shared with Eric and Doug, Thanks!
Appearance: Black with a small tan head and very little lacing
Aroma: Brown sugar, bourbon, brandy
Taste: Bourbon, brown sugar, dark fruits
A very complex and good beer. A lot of things going on at once, well balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
fiver29 (1035) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Bottle shared by Eric. Thanks Eric! Pours dark brown almost black with head. Aroma is booze, wood, vanilla, dark fruit, plum, raisin, coconut. Mouthfeel was stinging due to the carbonation. I find this interesting because the other Angel Share beers they make have low carbonation. Yet this blend has a lot. So I donít get that. Flavors follow the nose and have a dark brown sugar component as well. Finishes with a twang. I canít quite put my finger on it. I donít know what the twang finish is. It lasted during the whole glass. Maybe its because the blend wasnít done right maybe I donít know. Overall still a solid brew. Thanks Eric!