Lost Abbey Yellow Bus

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 111   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.26   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Sour ale with Peaches.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - AUG 18, 2008
Sampled at RBSG. Slightly cloudy golden color with a thin, even layer of white foam. The aroma has a nice sharp acetic funk that is calmed by the presence of the fruity sweetness of peach flesh. The combination of sweet and sharp works great. Taste has moderate acidity, the peach presence a little less apparent, but still there. Slight musky notes add a welcome balance to the sweet characters. The use of peaches here is executed brilliantly. I keep trying to look for reasons to not give this such a high score, but I can’t find any.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ironchefscott (357) - portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 14, 2008
damn tasted at the rbsg ...thanks tommee so much for sharing this with us great notes of white peach mixed with the funk...beautifully balance acidity and funk and fruit.......my favorite beer by the lost abbey.....well bourban barreled angels share is damn good too

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ughsmash (7253) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 11, 2008
Bottled at Lost Abbey, 2007 bottle. Poured just about clear medium golden with a short, fizzy cap of white head. The aroma was powerful with tart peach skins and lesser apricot upfront and a fresh, spicy oak impression supporting it.. very assertive. The flavor found bracingly tart peach skins that singed the tip of the tongue for an initial impression.. some meaty peaches rolled in behind along with a second hit of acidity (vinegar and more peach skins).. engaging throughout. Lots of lip-puckering sourness on the palate along with light scratchy bitterness and zesty wheat.. long, bone-dry, memorable finish. Excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - AUG 10, 2008
I remember when I was a kid in the mid 60’s and Kennedy had just been killed and the Beatles were driving little girls mad all over the world. My favorite thing was to get something sour onto my taste buds. Either Sour Candy from the store or green apples stolen from the neighbors trees,didn’t matter as long as it was sour. As the years progressed my palate changed and suddenly it seemed like I couldn’t get enough of Blatz beer and White Castle hamburgers.How many times did I taste that combination going the wrong direction? Alas, the years have passed and whether it is my mind trying to take me back to a better place or my palate has simply reverted back but I just can’t seem to get enough of Sour Ales. Sour Ale with Peaches doesn’t really seem like enough of a description. The first sip is like, holy shit, how does a beer taste like this? Sour yet amazingly so much more. This is another great beer form L.A.

illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 6, 2008
I thought I missed this beer, but found my rating. Bottle at brewery for RBSG. Pours a hazy gold with a white head. Aroma of horseblanket, fruit, and wood. Medium bodied with a lively, spritz like carbonation. Pale belgian malts sit behind flavors white wine and spice, pulled together by a healthy but not overdone sourness. Very subtle hints of peach on the finish. This is good, but I was hoping for more peachy flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopscotch (9896) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2008
Bottle… RBSG ‘08This beer rocks!… Hazy golden ale with a small, creamy, white head. Acidic, peppery aroma. Medium to full-bodied with modest carbonation. Very sour… just enough residual sugar to keep my lips from puckering and my eyes from clenching shut. Finishes tart and fruity, then dries out. Liquid fun. A joy to drink!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
yespr (33597) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - AUG 6, 2008
From bottle at Lost Abbey. Pours hazy yellow to orange with a lacing white head. Dense orange fruity and light brettish dry aroma. Flavour is tart to smooth fruity orange. Brett dry too. Good balance and still very flavourful/fruity. Dry and tart finish with a persisting fruity note.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hapjydeuce (963) - Carlsbad, California, USA - AUG 5, 2008
RBSG ’08. Sampled from unlabeled bottles at the Lost Abbey tasting. I was stoked to see Tomme break this one out for this special event. An awesome brew created out of pure experimentation. Clear yellow color with a medium white head and some carbonation. Big nose of sour oak wood, white grape, peach, pear and sweet lemon drop with a balanced yeast funk of wet hay and soil. The decadent flavor transitions between tart brett yeast acidity and more lemon citrus. The addition of white peaches really shines on the finish. Notes of old oak and fresh peach linger on the palate with a big tartness. Everything is extremely balanced and blended. Superbly drinkable and unique. I think this might be my favorite sour. Yep, it is. Holy hell!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 5, 2008
~RBSG ’08~

Big tasting at Lost Abbey. Pours a light golden color, slightly cloudy. Plenty of wet lacing on the glass. Peachy aroma, dry funk intermittent with hops and citrus. Very funky flavors, full of peach and tart floral notes. Musky hay and wheat, too. Extremely tasty, tart but not overall repugnant, basically very easily to drink at any time anywhere.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
AgentSteve (1640) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - AUG 5, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2009 My new favorite sour cuz I likes ’em sweet! Beautiful bright gold pour. Nose and flavor are full with peaches, passion fruit, cherry and a touch of citrus. Oak, toasted almond lasting finish. Absolutely incredible.