Lost Abbey Yellow Bus

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 108   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.26   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Sour ale with Peaches.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - AUG 10, 2008
I remember when I was a kid in the mid 60’s and Kennedy had just been killed and the Beatles were driving little girls mad all over the world. My favorite thing was to get something sour onto my taste buds. Either Sour Candy from the store or green apples stolen from the neighbors trees,didn’t matter as long as it was sour. As the years progressed my palate changed and suddenly it seemed like I couldn’t get enough of Blatz beer and White Castle hamburgers.How many times did I taste that combination going the wrong direction? Alas, the years have passed and whether it is my mind trying to take me back to a better place or my palate has simply reverted back but I just can’t seem to get enough of Sour Ales. Sour Ale with Peaches doesn’t really seem like enough of a description. The first sip is like, holy shit, how does a beer taste like this? Sour yet amazingly so much more. This is another great beer form L.A.

illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 6, 2008
I thought I missed this beer, but found my rating. Bottle at brewery for RBSG. Pours a hazy gold with a white head. Aroma of horseblanket, fruit, and wood. Medium bodied with a lively, spritz like carbonation. Pale belgian malts sit behind flavors white wine and spice, pulled together by a healthy but not overdone sourness. Very subtle hints of peach on the finish. This is good, but I was hoping for more peachy flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopscotch (8785) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2008
Bottle… RBSG ‘08This beer rocks!… Hazy golden ale with a small, creamy, white head. Acidic, peppery aroma. Medium to full-bodied with modest carbonation. Very sour… just enough residual sugar to keep my lips from puckering and my eyes from clenching shut. Finishes tart and fruity, then dries out. Liquid fun. A joy to drink!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
yespr (30699) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - AUG 6, 2008
From bottle at Lost Abbey. Pours hazy yellow to orange with a lacing white head. Dense orange fruity and light brettish dry aroma. Flavour is tart to smooth fruity orange. Brett dry too. Good balance and still very flavourful/fruity. Dry and tart finish with a persisting fruity note.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hapjydeuce (924) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 5, 2008
RBSG ’08. Sampled from unlabeled bottles at the Lost Abbey tasting. I was stoked to see Tomme break this one out for this special event. An awesome brew created out of pure experimentation. Clear yellow color with a medium white head and some carbonation. Big nose of sour oak wood, white grape, peach, pear and sweet lemon drop with a balanced yeast funk of wet hay and soil. The decadent flavor transitions between tart brett yeast acidity and more lemon citrus. The addition of white peaches really shines on the finish. Notes of old oak and fresh peach linger on the palate with a big tartness. Everything is extremely balanced and blended. Superbly drinkable and unique. I think this might be my favorite sour. Yep, it is. Holy hell!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 5, 2008
~RBSG ’08~

Big tasting at Lost Abbey. Pours a light golden color, slightly cloudy. Plenty of wet lacing on the glass. Peachy aroma, dry funk intermittent with hops and citrus. Very funky flavors, full of peach and tart floral notes. Musky hay and wheat, too. Extremely tasty, tart but not overall repugnant, basically very easily to drink at any time anywhere.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
AgentSteve (1614) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - AUG 5, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2009 My new favorite sour cuz I likes ’em sweet! Beautiful bright gold pour. Nose and flavor are full with peaches, passion fruit, cherry and a touch of citrus. Oak, toasted almond lasting finish. Absolutely incredible.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
illidurit (2115) - Petaluma, California, USA - AUG 5, 2008
Bottle sampled at Lost Abbey for RBSG 08. Poured into a wine glass. Clear gold color with a small but dense white head. Complex aroma with the obvious big peach notes, but also some wood and a weird chlorine-like note that I have to believe is a crazy brett influence. Flavor is just amazing, like a sour version of the syrup in canned peaches. The sourness is balanced well by the sweeter peach and apple notes. Great lingering finish and heavenly carbonation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
StefanSD (2072) - Lakeside, California, USA - AUG 4, 2008
Bottle at Lost Abbey RBSG. This was the Gold medal winner of the tasting at LA in my eyes. Poured a light yellow with a small white head. The aroma was magnificently complex with funk, peaches, sour grapes and spicy oak. The taste was well balanced and overtly sour with sweet ripe peaches playing a strong supporting role. Rounding out the sides were sour grapes, oak, chardonnay, and tart apples. The mouthfeel was full, silky smooth and malty. The finish was long with peaches and funk playing a sweet and sour dance on my tongue. Overall: This is my favorite sour so far to date.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2008
Maybe the best of show for me at RBSG this year. What a great surprise to try it as well! Pours a cloudy gold orange with a small white head. Smells of sour acidic sweet fruits, tannins, grapes, and maybe some green apple. Some apple and cinnamon spice really jump out at me in the taste. Pretty intensely sour, but not so much where thats its only character. The peaches really stand out in the finish for me where their intricacies are obviously noticeable. Really kick ass brew.