overall

RATINGS: 1052   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Not for the faint hearted! Our stout rewards the palate with robust flavor of roasted malts (malts are roasted like coffee beans) and heavy hops. A creamy smooth surprise.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hayduke (3375) - Eureka, California, USA - APR 22, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2009 I live where they bottle it and even drink it where they bottle it sometimes. I love its color (old crankcase oil) and feel (probably the same though I have never drank motor oil), and personally I like the silky feel its has going down, though I have a couple of friends who don’t care for this. Because it is local it is aways fresh. A tiny bit too much coffee aroma, but overall I like it well enough to drink it a lot. Update: This was my very first rating on Ratebeer. After 2-1/2 years of rating, and nearly 400 ratings later, I decided to re-rate this. I actually buy this locally by the case (bombers) and serve it a lot to my friends who like dark beer. I am not sure this ages all that well so it is good to get if fresh or on-tap as I can. So interestingly enough I find that I still like it the same. I now realize that what makes this so good is great roasted malts, again that smooth mouthfeel, and great finish. This is actually an oatmeal stout . Sure glad once again I live here in craftbrew heaven where I can just walk a few blocks and get this great beer on tap. Update Number 2. Lost Coast has improved this beer recently and it was wonderful already. 12.24.09..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - APR 21, 2004
22 oz bottle. The head is as dark as most brown ales; it's like a chocolate shake atop motor oil. And its huge and thick and creamy and lasts and lasts. Strong roasty nose, some hints of chocolate, sherry and vanilla. Extremely thick mouthfeel, with an initial feeling of separated granulated sugar. As the flavor develops, bitter chocolate, light fortified wine and cherries are evident, all enveloped in the thick molasses body that coats the tongue and throat like latex. There is an odd milky character also that I don't quite like, a bit of sourness near the end that somewhat spoils an otherwise impressive experience. Good, not great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
temporrari (381) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2005 As many times as I looked at this beer, I just never picked it up. Boy am I sorry. This is a really good stout. Black pour, with good head and lace. Robust aroma, roasted chocolate malt, some piney hops. Rich, smooth chocolatey flavor, roasty aftertaste. Creamy mouthfeel. Sounds like a standard stout but this is very, very well done. Treat yourself to this sometime soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bu11zeye (11942) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - APR 18, 2004
(Bottle) Pours an ebony color with a deep brown head. Has an aroma of coffee, nuts, and smoked sausage. Flavor is very rich and robust with the roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2004
Black. Jet black. Dark tan head. Nose is coffee, molasses, dark chocolate. Hints of smoke. Big, rich flavor. Full body. Flavor begins smooth and creamy and kicks butt at the end with a richness that should be present in all stouts. Definitely a keeper.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 14, 2004
Jet black with big frothy Long lasting brown head. The nose is chocolaty malty watery malty and bitter but sweet and rich. The taste is bitter and chalky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2004
Black as an 8 ball with a creamy milky brown head. Aroma of dark chocolate malts. Flavour is a good blaance between bitter hop and sweet malt. A very good stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
0o9i (438) - Reno, Nevada, USA - APR 11, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2007 Pours blacker than any oil I want to see come out of my car(it does look like oil from a vehicle long overdue for an oil change) and has a smallish and very dark brown head with fair lacing(although the head is almost nill after a short time, it laces all the way down). Body is opaque like an imperial stout. Aroma is molasses and soy that have been roasted and strongly and of prunes as it warms. Sweet front with caramel malts and prunes as it warms; interesting middle of a fight between caramel and heavily roasted+toasted coffee(coffee is nearly lost to the roastiness of this brew) fight for rank and some prune flavor joins in, with a well balanced finish where the caramel(with warming prune too) and bitter roastiness balance out nicely, actually leaving a lightly sweet taste on the tongue, like just a touch of sugar while maintaining the roastiness. Mouthfeel is lovely, although carbonation is a bit light, yet still semi-silky with big, stoutish bubbles. Body is fairly thick and heavy, just as the pour looks. Overall: very pleasant, incredibly black and a nice stout to keep around. 9/9/2007 Well, after a few years of experience, this stout seems to be dropping in my eyes. Still a solid beer, but too light on body and a little weaker than what I like overall. Nothing more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - APR 5, 2004
Coffee dominates the aroma, everything else is just hidden. Thin mocha head. Very smooth, almost seems like a Porter, but I guess that is why it is a sweet stout. Tastes like cold coffee, with chocolate, very little noticable hops. very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 2, 2004
Pours an inky black color with a nice fluffy caramel head. Slighty roasted aroma. Nice flavor of bitter chocolate, roasted malts and hop bitterness. Nice rich body. As I drank this 22oz, I liked it more and more. Very nice!