overall

RATINGS: 1088   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Not for the faint hearted! Our stout rewards the palate with robust flavor of roasted malts (malts are roasted like coffee beans) and heavy hops. A creamy smooth surprise.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 16, 2004
Black w/ creamy brown head. Roasty aroma of dark chocolate, burnt coffee, figs, plums & hops. Full, chewy body. Robust smokey, roasty flavour of bitter dark chocolate, burnt coffee, & dark fruit. Long, hoppy, bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jercraigs (8106) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 16, 2004
Dark black with a beautiful chocolate coloured head. Chocolatey espresso like aroma. Flavour reminiscent of roasty chocolate covered coffee beans which strangely I seem to prefer to actual coffee. A very nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 15, 2004
Thick pour. Thick dark black used oil looking stout with a nice dark tan head. Sweet dark fruit and roasted malt nose. Excellant coffee tasting stout with some milk chocolate flavors and a hop sweetness. Very tasty brew.

warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Beer poured with a nice dark head that was very full. Beer was black and opaque in color. Rich full bodied beer with a good roasted malt flavor with a good robust flavor. Excellent all around stout that I would drink again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAY 2, 2004
One of the best stouts I’ve tasted, maybe even marginally better than Bell’s Kalamazoo. The aroma is overwhelmingly rich chocolate, coffee and fruit. The flavor seems rather hoppy, not unlike Storm King in miniature. The palate has a really nice thinness which make the whole thing quenching and quaffable. Top notch. I need more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - MAY 1, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2004 Thick pour, black opaque liquid, brown lasting head. Nose of Chocohlate malts and faint hops. Front is sweet chocolate malts and roasted malts. Finish is very roasted. More of an imperial stout than a sweet stout, very well balance, but too much bitter roasted malts to be consider a sweet stout, very good no matter how you classify it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hayduke (3503) - Eureka, California, USA - APR 22, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2009 I live where they bottle it and even drink it where they bottle it sometimes. I love its color (old crankcase oil) and feel (probably the same though I have never drank motor oil), and personally I like the silky feel its has going down, though I have a couple of friends who don’t care for this. Because it is local it is aways fresh. A tiny bit too much coffee aroma, but overall I like it well enough to drink it a lot. Update: This was my very first rating on Ratebeer. After 2-1/2 years of rating, and nearly 400 ratings later, I decided to re-rate this. I actually buy this locally by the case (bombers) and serve it a lot to my friends who like dark beer. I am not sure this ages all that well so it is good to get if fresh or on-tap as I can. So interestingly enough I find that I still like it the same. I now realize that what makes this so good is great roasted malts, again that smooth mouthfeel, and great finish. This is actually an oatmeal stout . Sure glad once again I live here in craftbrew heaven where I can just walk a few blocks and get this great beer on tap. Update Number 2. Lost Coast has improved this beer recently and it was wonderful already. 12.24.09..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - APR 21, 2004
22 oz bottle. The head is as dark as most brown ales; it's like a chocolate shake atop motor oil. And its huge and thick and creamy and lasts and lasts. Strong roasty nose, some hints of chocolate, sherry and vanilla. Extremely thick mouthfeel, with an initial feeling of separated granulated sugar. As the flavor develops, bitter chocolate, light fortified wine and cherries are evident, all enveloped in the thick molasses body that coats the tongue and throat like latex. There is an odd milky character also that I don't quite like, a bit of sourness near the end that somewhat spoils an otherwise impressive experience. Good, not great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
temporrari (385) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2005 As many times as I looked at this beer, I just never picked it up. Boy am I sorry. This is a really good stout. Black pour, with good head and lace. Robust aroma, roasted chocolate malt, some piney hops. Rich, smooth chocolatey flavor, roasty aftertaste. Creamy mouthfeel. Sounds like a standard stout but this is very, very well done. Treat yourself to this sometime soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bu11zeye (11975) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - APR 18, 2004
(Bottle) Pours an ebony color with a deep brown head. Has an aroma of coffee, nuts, and smoked sausage. Flavor is very rich and robust with the roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee.