overall

RATINGS: 1030   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Not for the faint hearted! Our stout rewards the palate with robust flavor of roasted malts (malts are roasted like coffee beans) and heavy hops. A creamy smooth surprise.

Ayumbomb's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ayumbomb (63) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 4, 2005
The first time I had this beer was my freshman year of college, when my old and wiser roommate told me, in a Jesus-like manner, to put down my PBR and follow him. Just like with Jesus’ disciples, it took a while for me to clearly understand this holy message, but I eventually got it. This beer was tasty then, and it has only become better with age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
erickok (3199) - Tours (and Paris), FRANCE - APR 20, 2014
Pitch black body and stable head. Quite string bitterness, American hops, grapefruit despite the heavy chocolate malt body. Clearly fermented but some residual brown sugar tones. Bit boring after drinking much if it, but tasty and we’ll made. I like it. (Bottle at Au Bon Coin)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
lmatos (18) - San Juan, Alabama, USA - APR 19, 2014
A nice beer. Too bitter and coffee like for me. But a very balanced stout. A nice but not great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
moshr00m (9) - SLOVENIA - APR 19, 2014 does not count
UPDATED: APR 21, 2014 A gift from Strasburg. Very dark, brown thich head. Chocholate, roasty notes on the nose. Very rich carbonation. No Alc. listed on the bottle (I found that strange), importers lable stated 5,8 %. Hints of milk chocolate and silky texture. I missed a stronger body. I had no data of how old this bottle was (probably months). Alc. keeps the aftertase going for a while. Great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mecafilo (61) - Perugia, ITALY - APR 16, 2014
Bottle @ Elfo’s Pub, Perugia, Italy. Pours with a very dark brown colour, medium off-white frothy head. Aroma is medium malty with notes of coffee and slight notes of chocolate and vanilla, softly hoppy. Taste is medium sweet, slightly bitter, softly sour in the background. Medium body, oily texture, soft carbonation, slight astringent finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
chris__hartley (274) - Ontario, CANADA - MAR 29, 2014
It pours dark brown (almost black & opaque) with ruby highlights; the head is off-white and foamy. The aroma has notes of: toast, toffee, chocolate, and coffee. The taste is lightly bitter; all the aforementioned aroma notes are in the taste. The palate is light bodied, lightly carbonated, slightly oily, and a medium bitter finish. Overall, heavily watery - s’not gud.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sudomorph (383) - Barrie, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 28, 2014
650ml bottle. Pours nearly pitch black with a thin, off white head that fades quickly. Aroma has big sweet notes of milk chocolate and roasted malts with a slight amount of coffee. Taste starts out bitter/sweet then gets a bit more roastedand ends with a mild bitter chocolate aftertaste. Medium body and carbonation. Pretty clean in the mouth. Almost a touch watery. Nice carbonation with a big, dry finish. Overall a nice stout. Pleasing sweet aroma with a bitter/sweet taste. Would get again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hawthorne00 (2262) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - MAR 28, 2014
Bottle. Dark reddish brown with a cm of tan head that’s soon a bare coat. Aroma of mocha (heavy coffee, suggests astringency), roasted barley, some pine. Silky texture. Sweet with dark sugars, coffee, vanilla. Despite the smoothness, there’s a deadness in the middle where one might expect lusciousness. Liked the finish: quite firm bitterness, only a little astringency but fairly dry.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
SilentJo (65) - Chocowinity, North Carolina, USA - MAR 27, 2014
Roasted malt and chocolate are what I get from the aroma. The taste is much of the same, with a bitterness like strong coffee. The carbonation follows through from sip to swallow, leaving my palate confused. I appreciate the complex combination but not really a favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
penguinfinity (90) - North Carolina, USA - MAR 27, 2014
Bottle. Very dark, thin tan head. Smells like coffee. Taste is lighter than I expect, and the coffee flavor doesn’t come through very strongly, but what does seems bitter. Not terrible but I can’t count myself a fan.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20