overall

RATINGS: 726   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A smooth, full-bodied nut brown ale, lightly hopped with a hint of roasted and crystal malts. This ale is dark in color without the heavy taste of porter or stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
carlitos99 (184) - The Big Apple, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Mmmmmm. Smooth, mellow, brown sugar beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 21, 2002
Little bit of sweet small, little else. Nice beige that walks up the side of the glass. Dark brown with a bit of tan around the fringe. I can find a bare hint of chocolate, a bare hint of hops. This isnít bad, just on the weak side. Thereís a beer here, but I just canít find it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BillKismet (3334) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2002
Lovely black color with an amber tinge and perfectly proportionate head. The floral hop aroma certainly surprised me, as did this brown ale as a whole. The aroma had and a musky edge of nuts and smoky malts as well. The hops dominate the flavor, but again, the barley-brown maltiness lends a nice balance/contrast. Nutty bitterness on musky finish with vague chocolate notes prevailing after some warming occurs. This is by far the best brown I have ever tried. Masterful in its synthesis of hops, malting, nutiness, and smoke.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 29, 2002
Almost a cross between a brown ale and a porter. Medium brown color with a smallish tan head. Very light hops flavor and aroma. More malt flavors. What I would consider a very good session ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 29, 2002
A very good brown ale, a little darker than the NEWCASTLE that everyone loves, but it doesnít taste like pee like the aforementioned brew. I would recommend this to anyone who digs brown ales

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - APR 17, 2002
This was the beer that kicked me off as a beer reviewer. Look where I am now, 50 lbs heavier and my wallet is too. Revisited this one with a friend a couple of nights ago and was pretty impressed. Much fuller body than an English brown but still fairly easy drinking. I think we call these beers porters in England. Chocoalty and nutty while a hop presence provides excellent balance throughout. A beer Iíll definitely be recommending to anyone who orders a Newcastle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - APR 8, 2002
There is a little bit of stone-fruit (plum, dried apricot) flavor in the mouth, and plenty of sweet, roasted malt flavor. Finishes dry with good bitterness. A very nice, full bodied ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
chandra99 (2) - McKinleyville, California, USA - APR 5, 2002 does not count
If you havenít tried this beer, you have got to! Smooth and refreshing...great for any beer drinker.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łůdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - FEB 14, 2002
Previously in evidence: 1) I really like Brown ales, 2) several California Brown ales Iíve had are excellent, 3) Lost Coast is a very good brewery. Conclusion: this will be a very good brew. Actuality: I have to agree, unwillingly, with previous raters that this is too subtle, even boring. Aroma and taste are slightly nutty, better maltiness in the aroma than the flavor, certainly a drinkable ale. Very low hopping. It isnít thin-bodied, which is a good thing, but it doesnít grab me, even though I was definitely looking forward to it doing so.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
argo0 (11442) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 8, 2002
Tasting Notes from Fall 2000: I understand this is their most popular beer, but I donít understand why. I kept waiting for it to do something. It has minimal flavor