Lovejoys Hug ESB
     click to upload

Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.47/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ansermadide (1464) - Kyle, Texas, USA - SEP 27, 2008
(On tap at Lovejoys on September 26, 2008) Its looks were gorgeous... a thick and solid brown with amber hues below a medium head. But then the whiff... POW! I thought I was holding a grapefruit under my nose. Something you don’t usually expect from such a dark beer. It really seems that they dropped some fresh fruit into the secondary fermentation. I think this affected the taste, too, in a not-so-pleasant way. Its taste was (at first) uncomfortably astringent. Flavors of citrus overpowered any hops, but you could still feel the bitter. I’m surprised the other raters of this haven’t mentioned the overpowering citrus. 6 ounces down, I found it disturbingly fun to drink this odd concoction, which luckily had a light enough body that it wasn’t hard once I got past the weird flavor. But then maybe I just got a pour from a bad batch. As I told Ana, you really don’t drink Lovejoys beers for the quality of the beverage. You drink it for the experience (of the beer AND the pub).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
944play (340) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - SEP 17, 2008
Oh man, Lovejoys has some great beers lately. This is the second growler of Hug ESB I have brought home THIS WEEK. Low carbonation, dark amber. Rough and ready caramel and roasty malt. Lots of nice bitterness and some grassy English hop character coming through. Nicely attenuated with just enough sweet to take care of the pungents. This is not an exceptional beer in any way that I can pin down, it is just a nice chunky pint. And drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 18, 2007
Pour is opaque honey orange with almost no head...smell lightly sweet with caramel, molasses, and cookie dough...taste is nice and bready with lots of rye and pumpernickel flavors...some slight molasses sweetness...I am happy that I have found another beer of theirs that is pretty good!