Lovejoys Old Vixen
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.78/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
A complex strong ale in June and age it in whiskey barrels until the holidays. Available at Christmas.

PorterPounder (5697) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 15, 2004
Had on tap at Lovejoy’s in Ausitn - blew me away condsidering the other offerings I had had from here. Has a delectable brandy-like aroma with some winey accents. Flavor has many things going on here, bourbon, chocolate, dates, all blended together nicely. Thick, creamy mouthfeel. Worth buying a second snifter of, which I did.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 15, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2004 Interesting. I only got a shot of this at the Brewcrafter’s Festival 2004...all they had left. The label on the table said it was somewhere between 12 and 13.5%. That means that I was indoubtedly going to get wasted on this...even if it was a half cup. I like Lovejoys a lot. I could never, ever drink a whole pint of this. Malt tastes vanillay. Body is thin and VERY alcoholic. Hops, almost nonexistant. Not the best Barleywine, more like taking a shot of malt whiskey. G-rat

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Hard to believe I could get into this with sun burning down on me. It actually allowed a momentary reprieve as I rolled it gently over my tongue. Nice mingling of bitterness interacting with the rich malty flavors. Will be heading for more and possibilities of a rerate for additional notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joet (2222) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUN 8, 2003
Berries, tropical flavors, pine, low medium effervescence, light resins, finish is mild cocoa. Despite the wild collage, it really comes together. Best in show at the Texas Craft Brewers Fest.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - JAN 2, 2003
Menacing red appearance, complex aroma: I got all of whiskey, hickory, maple syrup, smoke, yeast. The flavor doesn’t disappoint, and it has an emphasis on the whiskey. The bartender told me that they age it in Jack Daniel’s barrels for 8 months. The mouthfeel was a tad bit weak but not enough for a demerit. Very nice. Gets a bit woody as it warms up.