overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 37   MEAN: 3.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
An oak-aged double red. Malt-forward with luscious caramel and hints of roast, but the ample hops won’t let you forget they are there. Finishes dry and clean, leaving the impression that it is lighter than it really is.

tfratzke's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tfratzke (63) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JAN 14, 2014
Caramel sweetness throughout. Some oakiness. Light fruitiness. Nice balance of bitterness. Very different and more sweet than anything else.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
johnnymusky (543) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 18, 2015
This one is just ok...not good not great....drinkable but not memorable...(#483)......

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chudwick (2416) - Cincyucky, Kentucky, USA - APR 6, 2015
12oz bottle thanks to the Jinx-pushin’ AndyReynolds. Here are the Il Duce lyrics from the band Big Black: I am Benito I am Benito I am Benito And I like my job They gave me this house And gave me this car They gave me the cities and streets When they gave me this job I am Benito And I like my job I am Benito And I like my job I am Benito I am Benito I am Benito I like my job
nutty, caramel, rye?, palate is thin (as advertised), sophisticated, slight butter,

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nero55 (865) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 26, 2015
Bottle. Hazy amber/brown with medium beige head. Aroma of toasted malt, chocolate, and toffee. Medium/heavy body, toasted malt, light toffee, moderate hop bitterness, light alcohol, slight mineral notes, and a dry finish. A nicely balanced imperial red that isn’t overly sweet or boozy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
commonmac (638) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 6, 2015
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2015 Tap at Republic Uptown. Tulip glass. Deep red into mahogany color with half finger (not long lasting) head. Aroma has a sweetness that catches you off guard. A slight waxy characteristic that seems out of place. Taste leans on malt with a heavy backbone of hops. Taste has a sugary presence that nearly overwhelms. Definitely more sweet than others out there. A little bitterness at the very end with an attempt at a bite. Relatively easy to drink but not balanced enough for my taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AndyReynolds (1048) - Dayton, Kentucky, USA - FEB 2, 2015
Bottle thanks to Cameron who brought to Siebel. Not very oaky for what it is but solid red ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Travlr (15626) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 21, 2014
Draft. Slightly hazy ruby color, off white head. Aroma of vanilla, port wine. Taste has butterscotch, vanilla, spice. Tasty.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TripCampbell (13) - USA - JUL 31, 2014
Pretty thick, but not heavy. The hops don’t hit until you swallow. Nicely balanced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
rodenbach99 (3515) - Longueuil, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 28, 2014
Une bouteille partagée avec The Slovak. Un liquide qui me semble trouble avec une tête crémeuse compacte. Un nez fruité de levure avec du malt sucré. Une bouche qui me semble trop sucrée avec un «fizz» qui pique. Une finale amère-sucrée passablement drôle, j’ai envie de dire.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
SlovakSniper (3826) - Candiac, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 28, 2014
Une bouteille envoyée par dresden. Un liquide ambre et un col mousseux qui m’accompagne tout le long de la dégustation. Au nez, les céréales maltées sont bien rondes de caramel. Je note la présence de miel et la douceur d’un fruit rouge. La barrique utilisée fait sentir son bois. Les saveurs sont bien sucrées par les malts. Le fût apporte quelque chose d’épicé et d’herbacé. En bouche, le liquide est très mousseux. Son corps en est légèrement affecté. En finale, il y a des notes astringentes qui arrivent à percer les malts sucrés. Petit nez peu compliqué. Goût qui ne m’allume pas vraiment. Structure corporelle non maîtrisée.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kbudd19 (857) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 8, 2014
Bottle from Dresden, thanks man! Dark amber pour with two fingers of white frothy head,nice lacing. Aroma, malty sweetness, citrus hops, not much else. Taste, nice sweet malty backbone, a bit of hops, very mild finish. Overall a bit lacking in complexity but that being said it’s really well balanced, and very drinkable, solid brew.