Lucifer (...-2008)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Riva Brouwerij (Moortgat)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Dentergem, Belgium

RATINGS: 569   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A Belgian golden ale. On the nose it is lightly hoppy and yeastily spicy, with faint caramelly malt notes and a touch of citrusy and estery fruit. The head tastes extremely bitter, as is often the case with this style. Surprisingly fruity, but with a strong hoppy bitterness. There is a warming, malty, vanilla quality to it, which develops into an alcohol kick towards the end. Secondary fermentation in the bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
RevZombie666 (14) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 7, 2008
I drank this in Belgium, cause it was the only thing I could pronounce at the restaurant. It was a good brew, but it wasn’t anything to write back to dad about.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Acariya (13) - Rhode Island, USA - JUN 6, 2007
Bottle as pictured, except with a cork instead. Pours a light golden color.. appears hazy gold in my trappist glass.. with an almost foamy head.. aroma is very pleasant.. theres a bit of fruit that is definitely welcoming.. can smell a slight alcohol scent as well.. light on the palate and again the fruits come through in the flavor.. I couldn’t place it at first but theres a constant taste of vanilla.. overall I wasn’t sure what to think at first.. but halfway through my first glass I decided I was enjoying the brew very much.. now on my second glass and this stuff is pretty delicious.. I would also like to add that it the aftertaste is dry, which Im normally not a big fan of but this is not bad!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
icefires (6) - USA - DEC 19, 2007 does not count
Drinkable. Probably won’t buy it again, unless it’s on sale. Hard to type 75 characters.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
PurplePieMan (6) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 2, 2005 does not count
Very slight cloudyness. Golden with compact white head. Generous carbonation but not out of control. I smell a little grapefruit, a little citrus and lots of yeast. The flavor is average. There’s nothing special here. At the end, there is a little kick that I wouldn’t expect or want from an 8% abv beer. It’s ok. It’s drinkable, but I wouldn’t save any room in the fridge or cellar for this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
schut (5) - GERMANY - MAY 1, 2009 does not count
pours a nice golden hazey color, looks good in my lucifer glass. nice aroma with a light fuit and spice smell. goes down smooth for 8.5 abv.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kitschykitty (3) - Blenheim, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 11, 2004 does not count
Lucifer has been a highly anticipated member of our cellar what with it's 8% alcohol content and fiery devil calling to me, I must admit I've been looking forward to this beer. The aroma is that of a yeasty berry mix, very pleasant and not overbearing. It pours a robust yellow, almost urine colour, with a white, frothy head that lingers. Yeasty taste with hoppy finish. The bead is lively with a fizzy aftertaste that bubble along your tongue. The strength isn't apparent until after swallowed, leaving a deceiving golden beauty that drinks so well. Devilishly good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
deliman (2) - Bangor, Maine, USA - OCT 10, 2006 does not count
Pale golden color. Very pleasant nose. Fruity and yeasty. Mildly spicy with a noticable alcohol level. Could be more balanced to cover some of the strength.Overal quite tasty. But I have had BETTER Belgian style brewed right here in Maine!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
RugbyKrunk (2) - , Alabama, USA - AUG 22, 2008 does not count
Great, clean beer with a good texture for such a light ale. Too bad my distributor has discontinued it... Enjoi!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Linda222 (1) - CANADA - JAN 23, 2006 does not count
golden, clear (I didn’t see any cloudiness), medium body, bitter, ...an overall nasty experience taste wise: soft up front, but ended with a poisonous head & finish. I thought perhaps that (and the alcohol content) was why they called it Lucifer. Tried this at the Burp Castle in NYC.