Lucifer (...-2008)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Riva Brouwerij (Moortgat)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Dentergem, Belgium

RATINGS: 564   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A Belgian golden ale. On the nose it is lightly hoppy and yeastily spicy, with faint caramelly malt notes and a touch of citrusy and estery fruit. The head tastes extremely bitter, as is often the case with this style. Surprisingly fruity, but with a strong hoppy bitterness. There is a warming, malty, vanilla quality to it, which develops into an alcohol kick towards the end. Secondary fermentation in the bottle.

seuinoz (142) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2002
very good just like duvel

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Brianroz99 (123) - Mullica Hill, New Jersey, USA - APR 10, 2001
Excellent golden ale, one of my favorites!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
darkvibe (68) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 28, 2002
Thick head, strong spicy flavor. A Little after taste, sharp nose. My new favorite beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mrbeakersalesman99 (17) - USA - APR 8, 2001
nice golden ale...one of the better ones I have had

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 14, 2001
I could easily sell my soul to this beer. Beautiful gold/copper color. Very smooth, and not very hoppy. Very pleasant nose, and it tastes great. One of my new favorites, and its has a cool name!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerAteHer (384) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - SEP 3, 2004
My first impression upon opening this beer was the "skunk" mentioned in other reviews and I was poised to write yet another dud review like others this beer has gotten. However, once in the glass the aroma takes on a powerfully pleasant _grassy_ aroma that I've actually never come across before to such an extent! This beer has a beautiful light golden hue, great head, and excess carbonation (which I personally enjoy). The taste is very basic - initially malty with a citrus undertone, and an intensely hoppy afterglow - but in this particular case I consider it more "fundamental" than "lacking in complexity". Lucifer may seem simple and have a cheaply printed label (hey, the bottle WAS brown!), but I feel as if this quite is along the lines of what people drank 200 or 300 years ago on a larger scale. Packs a powerful punch and EASY going down. I would say this is one of my favorite Belgians - mainly because of its fundamental nature and drinkability. Yet I will only buy one at a time because it would be hard to resist a second (or third) bottle in one sitting - the "alcohol kick" in the commercial description is quite accurate!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beergirl99 (101) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 3, 2000
An excellent Belgian Golden Ale. A little different than other golden ales I have tried. I initially bought it cause I thought it was a cool name, but it did not let me down with its taste. Watch out though - this is a high alcohol content beer though you do not really notice it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - FEB 27, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2007 Pours a yellow golden tone with a full, soapy froth. Decent hangtime. Residal lacing is full and fluffy. Nice! Aroma of sweet flowery malts. Medium nectar w/ relaxed residual effers that explode on the palate. Balanced malt to bitterness ratio. Strong flavors from the tropical arena w/ a mild Life Saver candy essence. Wild apple, vanilla, pine apple, citrus rind, a twitch of banana. Ths brew is tasty and very drinkable. It has a pleasant mild sweetness that is addicting. The finish is mildly bittered w/ peachpit and a bit of acidity that wipes my palate clean making way for the next sip. The alcohol is well hidden. Highly recommended.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jezmez68 (380) - Chesterton, Indiana, USA - AUG 1, 2007
Holy smokes! It smells like a Wit beer, all right. I had this in one of 2 samplers I had at the Flying Saucer in Houston. Then I had a full glass after a meal. Very nice light yellow color, leaving a very fizzy mouthfeel. If you dig Wits, you’ll sell your soul for a Lucifer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Grzesiek79 (2959) - Radom, POLAND - FEB 11, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2012 earthy, citrus, cereal, butterscotch, soy sauce, vanilla, sparkling, orange, minimal head, rocky head, medium sweetness, medium bitterness, heavily sour, salty, full body, thin feel, average carbonation,