Lucky Labrador Old Yeller Barleywine
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 3.72/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 342   ABV: 11.4%
On tap at the Portland Barleywine Long Haul Tour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BrewDad (4922) - Olympia, Washington, USA - MAR 11, 2006
[2006 Lucky Labrador Barley Wine & Big Beer Festival] 4oz Taster – A dark reddish amber color. A very light head but it was a good conditioned brew from 2004. Has taken on some unique qualities to the brew. Has a very sweet taste like strong ale would. The malts have taken a sour note but this might be me. I like this brew and hope to try next year as I want to see where it turns. Good Luck I hope it goes well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
CaptKirk (175) - Hephzibah, Georgia, USA - OCT 20, 2005
A very red almost soda looking. Sweet sugary smell. Very sweet at first, but quickly became bitter and alcoholic aftertaste. This is one of my first barleywines, so I may not be the best to judge this. I just did not like the bitter aftertaste after having a sweet start.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - JAN 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2005 1999 vintage at the Lucky Lab barleywine fest. I won’t use this score due to the wild turn this brew took while aging. This 5 year old version turned very acidic and winey, almost vinigar and sour finish. This 2003 vintage barleywine pours a dark mahogany, very clear, with a thin white head. The aroma sets this beer up to be a big ol sweet barleywine, lots of brown sugar, caramel, prune, and hints of chocolate in the aroma. The taste wasn’t nearly as big on the sweet side as I was expecting, sweet up front but finishing quickly bitter with a long tail of bitter hops fading into the distance. Still a very nice barleywine that will probably continue to improve greatly with age.