Brewed by Labatt Breweries (AB InBev)
Style: Pale Lager
London, Canada

RATINGS: 187   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.72/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Lucky Lager was introduced to beer drinkers in 1934. The name Lucky was selected from a name-search contest. Fully fermented in Bohemian-style tradition and slightly darker in colour than regular brands, Lucky uses select ingredients and hops to deliver a slightly sweeter taste than most lagers.

Short version of the Lucky Lager story: the brand was founded by General Brewing in California. This was folded into a consortium led by three BC breweries. General Brewing later split off from the consortium and was eventually brought into the Pabst fold. The BC breweries later became Labatt's and thus there are two lines of ownership of the Lucky Lager brand. The brand is today more prevalent in Canada, especially British Columbia.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
WPGbeerman (1) - - FEB 8, 2014 does not count
I hate the phrase " it is what it is" but it totally applies here. When I’m at the lake or have plans to consume more than a couple, this is my thrifty choice. I enjoy many other types of beer but it also comes at different price points .

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Reimer96 (1743) - Alberta, CANADA - FEB 8, 2014
For what it is its terrible... However since it’s also cheap it’s actually a good beer for the price and being a pale lager.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
JFGrind (2005) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 25, 2013
Cool logo, and iced cold from a tall boy drinkable. No real flavor, zero head, and slightest hops. I don’t think Early Grayce would drink the Canuck version of Lucky Lager.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
bulldogops (2270) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 20, 2013
Known coloquially as "da luckies" e.g. I’m going to da store to get da luckies. This beer is shitty. 355mL Can, 5%, reviewed straight from can. Pale lager that doesn’t even stand up to awful macros like Canadian or Kokanee. Taste like corn and malts left out near a hog farm.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gatri (3) - Anytown, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 18, 2013 does not count
I have to write a review in defense of Lucky Lager since there is so much negativity here. I believe that most opinions of this brand are based on the price and lack of catchy marketing tactics. I pay less than $1 per can or bottle locally. However, it is on par with any product from the "mainstream" north american breweries and it far exceeds most. It’s certainly not my favourite beer but I always keep a case in the fridge for my big brand beer drinking friends. Try this beer with an open mind and perhaps even set up a blind taste test along side of bud, blue, canadian etc. You may be surprised.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
downy_dav69 (60) - Ladysmith, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 5, 2013
355 ml. courtesy of Shane Bergman. Aroma is faint, some malt hops. Taste is faint- malt, little hint of grains, little to no hopes detected, and faint hints of cream corn. Watered down; nothing on the palate. Not a lot of flavor- but easy to drink. Better than most cheap, mass produced American beers. I come from a town (on the island) where people drink this stuff like water; so I tried to be respectful.. Just so little to this beer. I guess it’s drinkable, but overall meh..

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
solidfunk (7696) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - MAY 9, 2013
Had the pleasure of revisiting this at a bar in Victoria on Monday. Thanks for reminding me of the rancid think you guys do with water and have the audacity to name beer. It reminds me of my misguided youth and makes me want to run outside and see if there are any election signs to steal or fences to jump in seek of midnight trampoline jaunts. I’m feeling lucky. Are you, punk?

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
drunkasfack (14) - cobble hill, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 28, 2012
vancouver island original. there are better beers for sure but there’s no better way to fly an islander flag than pop one of these!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Aaronlikesbeer (1) - Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 13, 2012 does not count
Originally from Vancouver Island this beer was the stuff of low budget youthful adventure. I sampled this beer again in appropriate circumstances, in an icefishing shack selling christmas trees for a local charity, it was below -40C with wind chill.(poured from can) Nostalgia aside: On pouring it has a small white head, it is a very clear yellow, it looks like a typical canadian lager. It has perhaps a very small malt aroma, I cant smell any hops. It tastes like not very much, a very slight malt flavour, not very forward at all, hardly any noticeable bittering from hops. It is highly carbonated and feels like it in the mouth. There is very little discernable hop character. I finished it, but it definitely reminded me why I like to be sure to pick up my beer before the liquor store closes and I am relegated to the vendor.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
WheatKing (1328) - Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA - OCT 3, 2012
Had many of these on Sunday at a friend’s... drunk from the can. Didn’t get sleepy at all, as a heavier beer would have done, so I’m reminded a bit of why the pale lagers remain popular.

A bit tangy, but other than that this had very little flavour. Smells like corn. Reminded me a bit of a poorly made Italian pale lager. Really feels like it was made in a factory.