overall

RATINGS: 353   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
The Northwest’s original, unfiltered and dry hopped amber ale. African Amber’s pioneering and innovative style is proof that drink-abilty does not have to be achieved by sacrificing flavor. This beer erupts with a floral, hoppy taste, followed by a well rounded malty middle, finishing with a nicely organic hop flavor. Locally sourced two row grain and a blend of specialty malts give our amber its rich taste. Further complexity is achieved by leaving the beer unfiltered, providing exceptional flavor, as well as giving our amber its unique "cloudy" look. Lastly, we actually place a bag of fresh, locally grown, Yakima valley hops in each keg creating what has become the original, cult classic, northwest amber ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Wow, this is one of the best beers that I have had in a very long time. I had the pleasure of drinking this on tap, great carbonation, with lots of hops and great matly aftertaste to balance out. This beer had everything that I was loking for and more. A beer you can drink anytime for any occassion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - JUN 15, 2003
Aroma of floral hops with a yeasty finish. Poured from tap a dark amber color with proper head. Flavor was of a little citrus and a good amount of floral hops to match the smoked malty background. I prefer my ambers to have a noticable amount of hops in them and this one did the right job.

fgfats (10) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 5, 2003
Ambers are not usually my first choice in beer, but this one is. If it is on tap it is in my glass. Very nice head and is very smooth with an amazing taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (1844) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - MAY 22, 2003
Draught: I was expecting something more like a traditional Amber. I was very suprised. This was a very good beer. It pours a Hazy amber color. A little head to it. More hops in the nose than I expected. Full malty taste, with a lot more hops than I expected. Definitely, not over the top, however. Very good, I'll have another!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Suttree (5131) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 28, 2003
"Hey" I ask my Seattle resident host "what about that African Amber? Any good?" "No. Its a Yuppie Cult Beer. Too Much Hype" Well, granted, I had drank quite a few IPA so I noticed anything different, but I was pleasently surprised. Orange to brown, hop nose and initial flavor, but the are pronounced notes of blueberry and licorace, with a creamy malt presence as well. It finishes a little more dry, and clean - very little after taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Verne (261) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - APR 5, 2003
Cloudy, medium amber with a thin but long lasting head. Balance is the word, malty with a nice hop profile a almost prefect session beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MicroRob (42) - Kelowna, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 12, 2003
One of my favorites when in Seattle area. Good thick, full bodied beer with a creamy head. Beer will vary depending on location but Anthony's Home Port in Des Moines (WA) has had very good consistancy. CJ Borgs in Sea Tac also. Slight fruitiness balanced with the right amount of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jsquire (3437) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2003
This is available at lots of bars/restaurants in Seattle and I drank quite a bit of it. Cloudy orange with a nice creamy head. Well balanced amber with a malt profile that was almost too strident, but worked with this beer. A good amber and a good session beer, but make sure to make the time to try some of Seattle's other offerings.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 19, 2003
Not bad, but nothing spectacular. Just a well-balanced American amber.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Crit (3340) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 5, 2003
Cloudy orange brown. Interesting fruity estery nose.Fruit malt flavor perfectly balanced but just the right amount of hops