overall

RATINGS: 462   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Once again MacTarnahan's redefines "smooth". Striking a perfect balance between the classic Northwest and Celtic styles, Blackwatch is a remarkably distintive new style of porter. With expert use of malted barley, unmalted grains and oatmeal, Blackwatch Cream Porter delivers unforgettable rich taste and smooth texture.

Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - OCT 5, 2003
For me this was Perfect. Smooth & Chocolately. Start to finish. I think this is the best of the three MacTarnahans I've had yet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
OD40oz (773) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - MAY 11, 2004
Dark as hell with a creamy head. This stuff was bad ass. I liked it about as much as Anchor Porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
a10555 (125) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 31, 2006
Without a doubt my favorite beer for everyday drinking. This one has a great color, great taste and smooth finish. I was worried when I moved away from Oregon that I wouldn’t find this again. Thank God for good distributors. Even named my dog after this one, akc registered Mactarnahn Blackwatch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - FEB 13, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2009 I really love this beer! The wonderfully distinct coffee aftertaste keeps me happy long after I finish the glass.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 22, 2004
This is an absolutely awesome cream porter. Delicious notes of creme soda, coffee, and chocolate. Bitter finish. Just lovely!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - JAN 13, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2005 Dark, roasty, espresso, chocolate, cocoa, blah, blah, etc. This is a very, very delicious beer. One of my favorites. If youre a stout/porter drinker such as myself, then you will probably love this

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
pelicanfleck (15) - Oregon, USA - SEP 13, 2007
I grabbed two bottles of this brew at a local store...I usually don’t when trying a new brew, unless the style is appealing to me. This being a "cream porter" I tried it. I am happy that I bought (2) of them, I drank them back to back. Here is my review: Presentation: 12 oz short/stubby bottle. Nice lable, no freshness date found. Aroma: The aroma was unlike a chocolate porter in smell. The roasty nuttiness of the malt was presant. Appearance: The brew poured a very dark brown with ruby edges where very little light poured in. It poured a nice two finger light tan head that produced nice lacing through the session. Flavor: This is what really stood out for me. The creaminess of the carmel and toffee flavor was a delight. The malt was very strong but not overpowering by the roasted taste to it. Mouthfeel: No carbonation that I could tell. Low mouth feel. Overall Impression: This is one of my favorites so far, out of the ones that you can get locally here in Oregon. I would drink this brew occasionally...if not weekly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 1, 2002
This brewery has a remarkable ability to wring delicious beers out of otherwise ordinary ingredients. Their Zig Zag Lager is amazing and this porter is also terrific! A light, session porter for beginners who are new to the style. Creamy and deliciously drinkable. Just terrific.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RasputinsBeard (11) - Why do you give a fuck?, Oregon, USA - SEP 18, 2007
I really enjoyed this Porter quite a bit. It is a good example of a sweet/milt porter. They have really taken the time to craft this brew with particular attention to notes of detail and robust roasting. A very damn fine brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bpreo (1527) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - OCT 12, 2010
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2013 This sounds like an awesome beer. I really need to try it again, to freshen up my memory of it. 3 years later I am trying it again. MacTarnahan’s is now known as Portland Brewing Company. Tastes amazing, maybe even better. So creamy and smooth.