overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 67   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Autumn   ABV: -
This robust, festive brew is inspired by the crisp autumn season and the great Oktoberfest tradition. An authentic German style Märzen, Uncle Otto’s delivers rich, malty flavor with complex overtones of a half-dozen select malts and Mt. Hood and Saaz Hops. True to the Bavarian original, Uncle Otto’s lagers slowly for two full months, making it exceptionally smooth drinking. Available August through October, Uncle Otto’s animated flavor makes the blustery fall days of leaf raking come alive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Dawghouse Brewers99 (91) - Exeter, California, USA - JAN 22, 2002
Dark orange colored beer with a fine white head. Malty aroma with a hint of toastness. Sweet and mildly toasty flavor in front with a balancing bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - DEC 10, 2001
An ok Oktoberfest, but not as good as others I have tried of this style. A little too thin, not quite malty enough, and I didn’t really care for the hops they used. I thought it tasted simular to other brews put out by Portland Brewing. I’m not saying they all taste alike (a friend of mine did say that) but most of their beers taste simular. Anyway, not a bad choice, but not one that I will make as long as I can get my hands on some Ayinger or some Spaten.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Heat99 (56) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 27, 2001
Beautiful deep copper color...I’m suprised such a pretty beer came from such a horrible bottle. Very smooth and flavorful with a light hop finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JMerritt (1803) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - NOV 10, 2001
A typical Oktoberfest beer. Not to say that’s bad, but I didn’t find much with this that would make me want to pick it up again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 1, 2001
This was a nicely flavored octoberfest and my 2nd of the night that I liked (Sam Adams Oct). This is a good flavorful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
joet (2172) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - OCT 12, 2001
This is a less crisp and slightly more effervescent example of the Maerzen than it’s closest hoppy relative, Gordon Biersch. The hops alleged to be used, the Mt. Hood (similar to Hallertauer) and Saaz, should yield something pilsy and yet the first thing to my nose was distinctly Cascade.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 22, 2001
Easily the best domestic example of a Marzen that I’ve sampled. Very rich and creamy, with big, appetizing caramel flavors. Of course it goes down super-smooth, as all beers designed to be drank for days and days on end must be. Don’t let the awful bottle fool you; this beer is the real deal.