overall

RATINGS: 345   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This is the second offering in our JAMAICA line of ales. We didn’t want to make another IPA like everybody else so we opted for our own style. Unfortunately the gang at the BATF wouldn’t let us use "West Indies" on the label stating that there is no such place. We all thought that Columbus was looking for the West Indies and ended up here by mistake. Oh well. We call this beer Jamaica Sunset because of its golden reddish hue. We use five different hops for aroma, bitterness and floral character. You get a crisp clean flavor and complex hop finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ghorsche (48) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUL 8, 2006
On tap at Jupiter in Berkeley. Cloudy amber (nice color) with very little head. Almost no aroma. Flavor is citrus and turpentine with a dry, bitter finish. A bit overcarbonated. An entirely unremarkable/typical American IPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
clingman71 (297) - Centerville, Ohio, USA - OCT 5, 2007
Bottle. Pours a very hazy golden with a thick off-white head, but quick dissipation. It looks more like an unfiltered wheat beer than an American IPA. It has a nice hoppy aroma, but not enough of it. There is nothing particularly wrong with this beer, but nothing great either. If it were labeled an APA, I would thing better of it, but I have higher expectations for an IPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
drfabulous (3646) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 18, 2008
Very basic pale ale. Came in a beer of the month shipment long ago. Not memorable. One of those beers I forgot to rate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cletus (6329) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 24, 2009
Pours gold with a rocky white head. Smells caramelly and peppery. Tastes resiny and astringent with a sweet messy finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
Not a very impressive IPA. A hazy yellow color. Not much aroma; a slightly sour rather than hoppy taste. I was disappointed

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ernest (6031) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 7, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2011 Bottle. Head is initially small, frothy, off-white, mostly diminishing. Body is light amber. Aroma is lightly to moderately malty (caramel), moderately hoppy (grapefruit, apricot), lightly to moderately yeasty (dough, sweat), with a note of candy sugar. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, moderately bitter. Medium body, watery/syrupy texture, lively carbonation, lightly astringent. Smells like fruit candy and raw yeast. Rather sweet and acidic. Disappointing.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - OCT 9, 2003
Pours gold with some sediment floating, small head that dissipates and laces thereafter. Nose is slight, with a odd hops note. Not your typical IPA - good malt character but seems to have some distinctive hops flavor that does not quite balance well and finishes a bit strange. Outcome is drinkable but not inspiring.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
raymow (780) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 23, 2003
Cloudy golden color and not much aroma. Not a very good IPA - but a pretty cool label.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
baraciisch (1523) - USA - JAN 31, 2008
Nice golden orange color… Nice hoppy aroma…. Nice sweet finish, not very hoppy however… Definitely not as hoppy as I like my IPAs, but a decent IPA nonetheless… I can kind of appreciate an apricot undertone…. I would recommend it to a beginner IPA drinker, who is not yet man enough to handle real hoppy IPAs…

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
vyvvy (3606) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - OCT 9, 2008
Pours hazy amber with a soapy beige head. The aroma has sweet toasted malt, diacetyl and some light earthy hops. Medium musty mushy body that has soft carbonation. The flavor starts with stale caramel malt, butterscotch, diacetyl and woody oxidized malt. The finish is cardboardy and medicinal. After tasting this it baffles me that this brewery made its availability debut in the area two week ago. I’d normally say I’d like to rerate with a known fresh bottle, but if this just got to the area how much fresher can I get it? Disappointing.