overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2136   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jayb0 (1029) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - DEC 3, 2003
I like this beer. It is one of the only totally quaffable (even right from the bottle) fruit beers. The apricot does nothing but add a light refreshing character to an otherwise straightforward, slightly creamy ale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
tiggmtl (4548) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 26, 2003
Strong apricot aroma and flavour. Thin white fully diminishing head on hazy straw body. Medium body. I find the fruit flavour to be artificial and cloyingly sweet. Although I do generally like the output of this brewery, I'm not a big fan of this offering. On tap at the brewey and bottled.

bu11zeye (11942) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - NOV 21, 2003
(Draught) Pours a cloudy yellow with a small white head. Has a strong apricot aroma and a clean fruity flavor. Nice and refreshing for a fruit beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - NOV 15, 2003
"Number 9... Number 9... Number 9..." The soundbite for this self-acclaimed "not quite pale ale" would be "Not Bad for a Hippie Beer!" Actually, this is a very "feminine" beer. A disarming, and friendly label. The soft and pleasing, citrusy aroma. The slight, unabrasive head. The stong presence of apricots. A sensual, fruity and refreshing beverage perfect for a summer's evening.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hildigöltur (5103) - København, DENMARK - NOV 13, 2003
Very interesting natural apricot aroma. The flavour is clean and fruity. Quite refreshing and nice.

MartinT (7811) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 1, 2003
A sweet apricot juice gusto in the front turns to a fizzy, yeasty toffee...A strong, cumbersome comeback of the apricots then surges forth with a lingering, astringent bitterness...Same "thirst-quenching yet different" purpose and character as Unibroue's Ephémère line, without the wonderful Belgian yeast...

bclasen (17) - USA - OCT 29, 2003
I never thought of myself as a fruit beer lover, this doesn't change my mind. Strong aroma of apricot, pours to a nice orange/tan color, little head & lacing. The first and subsequent tastes were pleasant enough, though there didn't seem to be any aftertaste. A nice fruity taste that disappeared to nothing. I miss the taste of hops, not a bad beer, but in my book, nothing to write home about.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
NateDawg (12) - Arlington, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2003
I'm not a fruit beer fan, I'll state that up front...unless we're talking Krieks and lambics. Since Magic Hat thinks they're beyond cool (one of the guys used to be a graphic designer) and don't have to give the consumer any idea what it is that they're buying (the labels don't say this is a pale ale w/ apricot...it's all pseudo-hip, zen stuff), I was duped. The beer itself tasted OK as far as I could tell, but then the cloying aftertaste of apricots hit my tongue and I had to struggle to finish the bottle. The fact that I had had Thai for dinner didn't help. Once or twice since, I've given #9 another chance and have decided that it needs to be 86'ed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
mkobes (2140) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - OCT 19, 2003
First sip I got a little malty flavor, but then the flavor of apricots were there. Pretty good. Tasted clean with some bitterness to it. Nice amber color, thin white head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
glider (57) - Shrub Oak, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2003
An interesting blend of sweetness + hops. The flavor and pull of the brew was fascinating - it may be the hype but it is a mysterious beer.