overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2132   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hildigöltur (5104) - København, DENMARK - NOV 13, 2003
Very interesting natural apricot aroma. The flavour is clean and fruity. Quite refreshing and nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MartinT (7797) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 1, 2003
A sweet apricot juice gusto in the front turns to a fizzy, yeasty toffee...A strong, cumbersome comeback of the apricots then surges forth with a lingering, astringent bitterness...Same "thirst-quenching yet different" purpose and character as Unibroue's Ephémère line, without the wonderful Belgian yeast...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bclasen (17) - USA - OCT 29, 2003
I never thought of myself as a fruit beer lover, this doesn't change my mind. Strong aroma of apricot, pours to a nice orange/tan color, little head & lacing. The first and subsequent tastes were pleasant enough, though there didn't seem to be any aftertaste. A nice fruity taste that disappeared to nothing. I miss the taste of hops, not a bad beer, but in my book, nothing to write home about.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
NateDawg (12) - Arlington, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2003
I'm not a fruit beer fan, I'll state that up front...unless we're talking Krieks and lambics. Since Magic Hat thinks they're beyond cool (one of the guys used to be a graphic designer) and don't have to give the consumer any idea what it is that they're buying (the labels don't say this is a pale ale w/ apricot...it's all pseudo-hip, zen stuff), I was duped. The beer itself tasted OK as far as I could tell, but then the cloying aftertaste of apricots hit my tongue and I had to struggle to finish the bottle. The fact that I had had Thai for dinner didn't help. Once or twice since, I've given #9 another chance and have decided that it needs to be 86'ed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
mkobes (2140) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - OCT 19, 2003
First sip I got a little malty flavor, but then the flavor of apricots were there. Pretty good. Tasted clean with some bitterness to it. Nice amber color, thin white head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
glider (57) - Shrub Oak, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2003
An interesting blend of sweetness + hops. The flavor and pull of the brew was fascinating - it may be the hype but it is a mysterious beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
raymow (813) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2003
I could have sworn I tasted some strawberry flavor in this beer but everyone else has been mentioning the flavor and aroma of apricots. Maybe since I've never tried apricots I thought of strawberries? Anyway, I very much enjoyed this beer - can't wait to have another.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 2, 2003
thin head over a light amber coloring. smells like a garbage container and it tastes like a licking a dirty ashtray filled with water.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 2, 2003
I did not know that this was classified as a fruit beer, If i knew that from the start, I might have had a better opinion of it. Aroma was fruity and floral, definately apricot. Taste was an odd mix of a pale all with artifical flavoring. I think this beer is riding on a marketing fad and will not stand the test of time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 16, 2003
Nice fruity hoppy aroma. Good blend of hops and apricots. Flavor starts out with some hops that leads into a fruity sweetness with some lingering bitterness.