overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2159   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
NateDawg (12) - Arlington, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2003
I'm not a fruit beer fan, I'll state that up front...unless we're talking Krieks and lambics. Since Magic Hat thinks they're beyond cool (one of the guys used to be a graphic designer) and don't have to give the consumer any idea what it is that they're buying (the labels don't say this is a pale ale w/ apricot...it's all pseudo-hip, zen stuff), I was duped. The beer itself tasted OK as far as I could tell, but then the cloying aftertaste of apricots hit my tongue and I had to struggle to finish the bottle. The fact that I had had Thai for dinner didn't help. Once or twice since, I've given #9 another chance and have decided that it needs to be 86'ed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
mkobes (2141) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - OCT 19, 2003
First sip I got a little malty flavor, but then the flavor of apricots were there. Pretty good. Tasted clean with some bitterness to it. Nice amber color, thin white head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
glider (57) - Shrub Oak, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2003
An interesting blend of sweetness + hops. The flavor and pull of the brew was fascinating - it may be the hype but it is a mysterious beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
raymow (850) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2003
I could have sworn I tasted some strawberry flavor in this beer but everyone else has been mentioning the flavor and aroma of apricots. Maybe since I've never tried apricots I thought of strawberries? Anyway, I very much enjoyed this beer - can't wait to have another.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 2, 2003
thin head over a light amber coloring. smells like a garbage container and it tastes like a licking a dirty ashtray filled with water.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 2, 2003
I did not know that this was classified as a fruit beer, If i knew that from the start, I might have had a better opinion of it. Aroma was fruity and floral, definately apricot. Taste was an odd mix of a pale all with artifical flavoring. I think this beer is riding on a marketing fad and will not stand the test of time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 16, 2003
Nice fruity hoppy aroma. Good blend of hops and apricots. Flavor starts out with some hops that leads into a fruity sweetness with some lingering bitterness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RichardGretton (4298) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 6, 2003
Golden beer with a lightly hopped aroma, and a watery/lightly hopped flavour. Overall a plain beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - AUG 28, 2003
Initial impression after first sip was that this beer was similar in malt character to a newcastle brown ale. I got that slightly roasted, smokey malt flavor. But ooh wait! after a few more sips I tasted a definite apricot flavor that coated my palate with a sugary fruit flavor. It wasn't overpowering though...just a hint of nectar. Thanks for sharing Meg!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
quantum24 (32) - New York, USA - AUG 25, 2003
Pale orange with a slight haze, nice white head. mild apricot aroma, slightly malty and acidic, fruity (apricot), with a mild bitter finish. typical magic hat, not great, but drinkable. (good beer when hosting a party many "beer drinkers" like it)