overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2181   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

guinness4life (37) - USA - MAY 1, 2002
Way too fruity for my palate, interesting but wouldn’t purchase. I really do not like it due to sickening sweetness. In all fairness though, a well produced beer, but very weird taste, tastes like going camping i.e: very fruity and herbal with an almost raspberry aftertaste. Good beer if you want to get in touch with nature. Others try before you buy. Completely one of a kind though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jonas (6053) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - MAR 4, 2005
Bottle
Amber, creamy head. Perfumed aroma. Flavor is also overly perfumed, like in soap, strikes me as artificial, grainy cardboard in backgound. Light body. Not my cup of tea

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
puzzl (3257) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 7, 2005
Nothing special here. Aroma was grassy, maybe scallions, clovers... you know,all that grass crap. Taste was not much different: grass with a touch of bitterness. Not seeing this apricot that people mentioned. The taste faded quickly as the skim-milk like thinness had the beer go down rather quickly as well. Certainly not an offensive beer, and I could definitely drink it leisurly, but you can also do much better.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
thedm (5034) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUL 10, 2005
This bottled brew poured a large sized head of foamy finely sized mostly lasting bubbles. The body contained very soft carbonation, was transparent and yellow orange in color. Its aroma contained notes of mild floral malts. Its mouth feel is initially tingly with a lingering aftertaste. Its flavor contained mild fruity apricot bitter hoppy notes.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jb (2441) - Rochester, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2005
Had at the Rohrbach’s summer brew fest. Berries in the nose, straw color, malt and hops in the palate and a dry finish. One of the less impressive fruit beers of the day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - AUG 23, 2005
Ginger ale gold with orange and brass tinting. Head is buttercream/white and a solid 3/4 inch thick from a hard pour. Smell is non-descript fruit malt, decently rich, with some sourness and a bit of cheap lager taint stirring around the edges. Taste is a bit thin/watery and as advertised, weird. Wheat, berries, pit fruit, and dry pine needle hops roll over the palate. Wet grass, wheat lay the base for the aftertaste, followed by a very dry, sodawater finish. Because I really have no clue what style this is susposed to be, I don’t know if I’m being overly or less harsh than I should be about the thinness of this beer. This could be a lot better, I think.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Terminus (3329) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - OCT 10, 2005
bottle-plurs an apricot hue with a nice soapy white head and good lacing. aroma of metallic fruits-berries and grains with a light diacytl butter note. flavors of highly grainy with light fruity notes and sunflower seeds. slightly oily body that was thin with moderate carbonation, which i thought would be higher than it was. This is not very good, but thanks to hopdog for the try.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - OCT 17, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2006 ~~Org. Ar.6 Ap.3 Fl. 6 Pa. 3 O.I.14 = T.S. 3.2. ~~ had this on tap at some Fox Sport bar in an airport in PA. The only thing move vauge than that is prob. my rating. As I was already feeling swell, I ordered based on Tap designs.... the cool 9 did it. Anyway, I didn’t get much fruit out of it. Seemed rather an average ale, with little malts and an easy hop linger... too easy. I thought it was an American Strong Ale? or something like that.... but whatever, it was only ok. - ---- Now looking back... very average... no fruit. Nasty cheap pale. Not too impressed. Lowered Score to present 2.6... damn. 12/ 28/ 06.

biznizness (1124) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - APR 5, 2006
How on earth did I never rate this beer, despite seemingly having a fridge full of them at all times? The reason I always have #9 around is because I don’t like it that much, and I buy the variety cases and this beer is always the last to go. I would compare this beer to a lead-off hitter that strikes out too much. This could be an effective "specialty" beer, but it doesn’t work for me as the flagship beer of Magic Hat.

allfreej (553) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - APR 16, 2006
On tap. Never choose a beer with the word "mysterious" in the first sentence of its description. Disappointing.