overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2188   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jonas (6103) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - MAR 4, 2005
Bottle
Amber, creamy head. Perfumed aroma. Flavor is also overly perfumed, like in soap, strikes me as artificial, grainy cardboard in backgound. Light body. Not my cup of tea

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
puzzl (3257) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 7, 2005
Nothing special here. Aroma was grassy, maybe scallions, clovers... you know,all that grass crap. Taste was not much different: grass with a touch of bitterness. Not seeing this apricot that people mentioned. The taste faded quickly as the skim-milk like thinness had the beer go down rather quickly as well. Certainly not an offensive beer, and I could definitely drink it leisurly, but you can also do much better.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
thedm (5139) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUL 10, 2005
This bottled brew poured a large sized head of foamy finely sized mostly lasting bubbles. The body contained very soft carbonation, was transparent and yellow orange in color. Its aroma contained notes of mild floral malts. Its mouth feel is initially tingly with a lingering aftertaste. Its flavor contained mild fruity apricot bitter hoppy notes.

biznizness (1138) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - APR 5, 2006
How on earth did I never rate this beer, despite seemingly having a fridge full of them at all times? The reason I always have #9 around is because I don’t like it that much, and I buy the variety cases and this beer is always the last to go. I would compare this beer to a lead-off hitter that strikes out too much. This could be an effective "specialty" beer, but it doesn’t work for me as the flagship beer of Magic Hat.

allfreej (553) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - APR 16, 2006
On tap. Never choose a beer with the word "mysterious" in the first sentence of its description. Disappointing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
optemoz (171) - Apex, North Carolina, USA - AUG 21, 2006
Bottled -Tried this.. its my 1st Magic Hat brew.. and let me just say I HATE APRICOT BEERS!! not a good mix.. why the hell is it so popular? anyways.. smells and tastes of apricots. with a slight hop finish.. not getting this again

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - OCT 2, 2006
Bottle drank at the RFD with Ungstrup Golden color, light head, some lacing. Nose is sweet, malty, the flavor is fruity, lots of apricot, a fairly bland and somewhat tart extract type of beer. Not what I was expecting with so many flashing cool neon signs around with this logo on it.

joergen (23578) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - OCT 7, 2006
Bottle at Stockholm Beerfestival. Cloudy golden coloured with a white head. Aroma of fruits and caramel. Flavour of malts, fruits, caramel and hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
cbrixius (136) - Newberrytown, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 25, 2006
Not much going with the aroma, unless my sniffer was broken. Poured reddish gold with a white dissipating head. Not a great taste, I sensed apricot in their. A pretty dry texture, somewhat bitter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
creature99 (10) - USA - JUL 29, 2002
Eventhough my rating is not glowing, I think this is worth a try. I am not a big fan of fruit beers, but this is an interesting one. It is not overly artificial tasting. I think if they used more hops (for both bittering and aroma) this could be good.