overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2107   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
yemntftb (106) - USA - JUN 23, 2006
Bottle/Draft. Amber with alittle yellowish color. Not much of a head, and tastes way too sweet for me. Apricots and peaches are very evident, and I don’t like this combination at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
dmradus (227) - Ithaca, New York, USA - SEP 18, 2006
Pours a golden-orange with a significant off-white head. I pick up a bit of sweet malt in the nose, as well as a significant smattering of - what else - apricots. This falls apart for me in tasting: I really can’t enjoy this brew. It is watered-down and seems to straddle the line between a full-blown fruit and a poorly conceived pale, rendering the flavors muddled and indistinct. Overly sweet apricot tones, sweet malt, and not enough hop bitterness to offset it all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
gputty (456) - Virgina Beach, Virginia, USA - SEP 30, 2006
From bottle. Pours clear dull orange with white head. Nose is perfumey apricot. Flavor is weak candy apricot, a cheap version though. Body is thin with not much of a finish. Too much fake apricot and not much else.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
gwpom (295) - Akron, New York, USA - DEC 18, 2006
Bottle. Cloudy orange color, white head that goes very quickly, I concur with most of the stated reviews. I like having a Magic Hat variety pack around once in a while, and this is one of their average brews. I tend to like there darker offerings a bit better (I like Jinx despite some of the negative reviews about it). Still, a nice change of pace.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 2, 2003
I did not know that this was classified as a fruit beer, If i knew that from the start, I might have had a better opinion of it. Aroma was fruity and floral, definately apricot. Taste was an odd mix of a pale all with artifical flavoring. I think this beer is riding on a marketing fad and will not stand the test of time.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUL 21, 2004
not much of an aroma, the flavor is slightly sour, there’s nothing special with this beer

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
MrBeer (276) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 30, 2004
Not too impressed with this beer. There really wasn’t much here. Very little aroma and flavorwise it just was not there. This might be a tad overrated here.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - JAN 30, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2005 Fruit beers are not my thing, so I will say that I tried to like it an failed. The pour was kind of weak because there was no head. In the flavor I picked up a fig newton flavor which was kind of interesting. The mouthfeel was fine. This beer was just not my style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
paul9639 (116) - New Hampshire, USA - APR 24, 2005
Aroma is fruity. The appearance is light amber, with a thin head. The flavor is cmildly hoppy, with hints of apricot. It is pretty good, but the appearance and flavor seem fake and forced. I used to love this beer, before I knew good beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - APR 11, 2006
What the hell was this? It was easy to realize it was a fruit beer, but everythign beyond that was a toss-up. The body was almost amber with a generoues and rocky head that faded quickly. There was a fruity sweet aroma that reminded me a little of cherries. Odd sweet flavour with more cherries or tart something. I think the appeal of this beer is the fact that it is wildly different, not because it is good.