overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2172   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
CamdenD (1113) - Madrid, SPAIN - JUN 23, 2004
Umm... I liked this beer in high school -- that should tell the whole story. Interesting beer to show someone who doesn’t think you can add apricot to a beer. Just don’t have them expect it to taste that good. No hops to speak of, relatively light (drinkable), reminded me of a beer-spritzer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Borrrris (110) - LINDENHURST, New York, USA - JAN 27, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2007 BOTTLE: Another "fruit flavored" beer. What can I say? Not as undrinkable as Sam’s Cranberry Lambic. A nothing special beer made weird and therefore "special" by the addition of flavors that make it taste like a beer aperatif. But that’s my take. If you appreciate this category, please email me. I have five more bottles that I’d gladly ship for the cost of postage. I hate to dump overpriced, err.. premium priced beer.BUY AGAIN? No

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
boboski (1095) - Alabama, USA - MAY 1, 2007
Clear light orange body with bold yellow hues. Thin head fades quickly, I think it was white, though it dissapeared so fast I’ll never be sure. Thin linear lacing. Ugly. Aroma is of lightly toasted malts. Very fruity as well, with notes of apricot puree and a little peach. This also has an awful odor I’d associate with a dirty bathroom. Additions of cereal grains and a slight hoppy bitterness that grows more pronounced near the finish. Too acidic. Too much carbonation, though it couldn’t even sustain the diminutive head. Finishes cloying, then dries out a touch. Palate is too bubbly. A pathetic beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2007
Draft at Gillette Stadium. Clear, medium dark gold body. Thin, foamy white film for a head. Spider-web like lacing of micro-bubbles. The aroma is very floral, with honey, indistinguishable light fruits, and sweet, cheap smelling malts. The flavor can only be described as an overly sweet cluster of mystery fruits, pale malts, and adjuncts with minimal hop bitterness. The body is on the light side of medium, with a light syrupy profile that does not settle well. This beer is like a science experiment gone wrong. Not recommended.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - JAN 29, 2008
Not as good as Magic Hat #8...but a whole lot better than Magic Hat #10!! Serious...fruit beer. Bleh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
thehoff (596) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 11, 2008
Very light orange color, no head, foamy whtie edges. This one sinks. Smells like it will taste like seltzer water. Other beers that smell like this I haven’t liked. What I expected. No real flavor at all. This one shoud remain cloaked in secrecy. This is not a beer that I ever want to drink again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
Redsoxforlife (3) - USA - APR 4, 2008 does not count
i like this beer it has a nice light taste not too strong good aroma I would recommend it defiantly a good beach beer

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
Digs (1) - Elkhart, Indiana, USA - MAY 25, 2008 does not count
I great flavored beer with a clean yet tasteful finish. My favorite spring-time beer is Bell’s Oberon.. but even that doesn’t taste as well after a nice, cold #9 IMO.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2008
UPDATED: APR 13, 2009 Draft, a dark golden color with a bit of a white head. Stick your nose in for a fairly pleasant pale ale scent highlighted by what seemed to me to be rasberries or another bright fruit. Apparently it is apricots? In any case, the aroma is where the good stops. The taste is foul. Like a beefed up Budweiser with some sort of suggestion at fruit flavor. Metallic, heavily bitter but not a pleasant hop bitterness on the front. Mild fruit sweetness on the finish, but everything is so sticky. That awful bitterness hangs around forever. Had I not paid full price ($4) at the taproom for this it would have gone down the drain. I’m hoping the lines were dirty or something since they just got #9 in, will try it again sometime down the road. Re-Rate from a bottle. Pours the same golden orange with a soft white head. Aroma is less than pleasant, fake fruitiness that doesn’t fit well with the light caramel malt. Taste, I stand by what I said before, tastes like a crappy macro with some fruit syrup tossed in. Totally unpleasant. Original rating 6:3:3:2:6

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Pipper (325) - Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Poured into pint from bottle at The Winking Lizard. Lady brought me this beer instead of what I asked for so it was free, which is the only way I would ever drink this shit. Fruity apricot bandaid aroma, taste is about the same. Pale MGD pour with some lace and no head. No carbonation. Yuck but free.