overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 2108   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because thereís never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
benclarkiii (73) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 19, 2007
I only had one pint of this but I couldnít get myself to try another. Maybe the sampling I had was skunky, but I found no balance in this beer at all. Too much fruit or spice. Overall disappointing.

swedishfish (29) - Bristol, Rhode Island, USA - APR 24, 2007
Fruity. Eh. Ok. Nothing to make you say woooh this is good. But it was a light fruity beer. Iíd have it again I played beiruit with this and was fine. The fizz on my tounge felt funny and the coloar was apricoty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 29, 2007
Pale golden color with a light head. Aroma of peach, apricot and berries. Taste has some berry and summer fruit, but really tastes grainy and cheap. Drain pour. Magic Hat beers just always seem sloppy and in poor form to me. I would like to see something better from them.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
lampeno420 (320) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - AUG 21, 2007
ehh. another one i shouldve read before grabbing. unique at best, but very overpowering with the apricot. i dont know if that was the greatest choice to pair with a pale ale, but a good idea at the least. i just might not be a fan of apricot, and surely am not of #9. wouldnít mind trying some other Magic Hats though.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 26, 2007
I picked this up at Brew&Brew in North Ridgeville, OH while visiting family and looking for things I couldnít get at home. And in this particular case, I canít say Iím upset that this beer is not available in my town...I wouldnít buy it if it was. Appearance is a dark gold color, maybe like youíd expect from a really full-bodied lager. Head was thin and not persistent. Aroma was lightly hoppy, a bit fruity, but cereal is really what dominates here. Flavor is a weird graininess followed by some off fruity esters. Iím not a fan. Careful examination of the label reveals that this is a "flavored IPA." Additional examination yields that this beer has apricot flavor, which I did not detect. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and unpleasant. I would not recommend this beer. The enjoy-by date stamped into my label was Mar 2008 (a good 3 months past when I drank it)...I am grateful that Magic Hat provided me with this date.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
idbowman82 (62) - Painesville, Ohio, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Pours very hazy and amber/gold in color. Very little head that dissipates almost immediately. The aroma is pretty straightforward: hops and apricot. The taste is about the same...malty with apricot. There is virtually no depth, and there is so little malt/hop in the actual taste that I found myself thinking i was tasting dried apricots soaked in a low-concentration rubbing alcohol. Not enjoyable, and certainly not something Iíd recommend.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
tastybeer (1666) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - SEP 17, 2009
Pint on Tap. Orange colored with an off-white head. Smells like apricot. Tastes like apricot with sugary sweetness reminiscent of a Belgian. Leaves an apricot aftertaste. I was not impressed with this at all and would actually avoid.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
andrewpbennett (7) - Florida, USA - JAN 1, 2010 does not count
Weird aroma and taste. I wasnít a big fan. From the bottle. Wonít have it again.

caralkaline87 (435) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 25, 2010
Pours amber with a big foamy off-white head. Nose is bittersweet fruit with a touch of floral hops. Taste is similar...the sharp, semi-bitter hops/fruit combination seems severely out of balance with a bland malt. A bit oily as well. Iím honestly not a fan of fruit beers and this one didnít do anything to change that...itís in need of a much bigger malt. Might be better as a double. Might.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Tricountybeer (167) - Dillsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 4, 2010
Gold color, white head. Light body,toasty malt presence mid palate w/ some pear fruitiness Finish is slightly sweet with an apricot aftertaste and some dry yeast after the finish.